Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 03:10 PM

122 posts, read 587,192 times

Advertisements

And rules and regs of these camp sites? (How many days, etc.)

Also, how safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 05:31 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
There appears to be free camping in some of the remoter parts of Mt. Laguna, because we've seen people camped off Thing Valley Road/La Posta Road.

Otherwise the closest free camping that I know of is way east, into the desert, in BLM land or out at the Slabs.

Of rules and regs and safety, I know nothing.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:54 AM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
There appears to be free camping in some of the remoter parts of Mt. Laguna, because we've seen people camped off Thing Valley Road/La Posta Road.

Otherwise the closest free camping that I know of is way east, into the desert, in BLM land or out at the Slabs.

Of rules and regs and safety, I know nothing.
You can camp for free in many parts of the E County, any place that is BLM or Forest Service areas. Try to camp in a group as it is a major smuggling route from Mexico. You'll see BP all over the place out there.

Don't forget about the many Mt Lions

Old 05-05-2011, 09:01 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
I am going to echo everyone else here. I woudnt call it "safe" though, which is what you are looking for as well. If you havent a clue about the kinds of indigenous creatures inhabit these less traveled camping areas, it might be best to just pay the $10 or $12 to just camp at a County or State park then go hiking or what not during the day. We have a vast amount of trails, camping etc and you can book a tent site online.
County of San Diego: Camping Park Information

Old 05-05-2011, 03:34 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You can camp for free in many parts of the E County, any place that is BLM or Forest Service areas. Try to camp in a group as it is a major smuggling route from Mexico. You'll see BP all over the place out there.

Don't forget about the many Mt Lions

Hey, thanks! I didn't know there was that much free camping available.

Cleveland National Forest - Frequently Asked Questions

BLM CA El Centro - Camping

Old 05-05-2011, 04:47 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:

You still have to buy a wilderness pass for the Cleveland National Forest, so technically it's not free.

I'd be careful-ish camping out on BLM land out in the desert, too- as in, I wouldn't go by myself, and it's preferable to be in a motorhome or something you can secure at night. There's a lot of sketchy characters that like to take advantage of a free place to land. It's *probably* OK, but I've seen a lot of weirdness out there over the years.

Not to discourage anyone, just sayin' use some caution or get to know the locals.. No matter how empty it seems there's always locals

Old 05-05-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
You still have to buy a wilderness pass for the Cleveland National Forest, so technically it's not free.

I'd be careful-ish camping out on BLM land out in the desert, too- as in, I wouldn't go by myself, and it's preferable to be in a motorhome or something you can secure at night. There's a lot of sketchy characters that like to take advantage of a free place to land. It's *probably* OK, but I've seen a lot of weirdness out there over the years.

Not to discourage anyone, just sayin' use some caution or get to know the locals.. No matter how empty it seems there's always locals
It's also legal to be packin in those areas I'm always carrying in the back Country. Illegals, drug smugglers, stuff that wants to kill you and stuff that thinks you might be a tasty snack. If you come upon a pot growing setup the WILL be armed. I'd like to think I at least can keep their heads down.

Forgot to add, you need to "register" at either some stores or the Ranger stations (or find one) and they will issue you a free permit. They need to know who is in there in case of a fire or you don't show up to work for a week

Old 05-05-2011, 05:12 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Welcome

It's also legal to be packin in those areas I'm always carrying in the back Country. Illegals, drug smugglers, stuff that wants to kill you and stuff that thinks you might be a tasty snack. If you come upon a pot growing setup the WILL be armed. I'd like to think I at least can keep their heads down.

Forgot to add, you need to "register" at either some stores or the Ranger stations (or find one) and they will issue you a free permit. They need to know who is in there in case of a fire or you don't show up to work for a week
All true. I'm not sure how this fits in with the OP's looking for "safe" places, but I'm pretty OK with it myself

Old 05-06-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
All true. I'm not sure how this fits in with the OP's looking for "safe" places, but I'm pretty OK with it myself
Some are safer than others. People just need to know it ain't all a picnic (pun intended). You will see signs in some areas that read, "Travel in this area alone not advised". Mostly closer to the border

You can find great spots close to where some locals live.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:34 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,746 times
Quote:

I was going to say any of the BLM land would fit the bill and there is a lot of it in the county. All BLM land is free to camp in though you need a permit to have a camp fire (not that the rangers will really bother you unless they just happen to see you though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego