Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:06 PM

6 posts, read 12,928 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving to San Diego at the end of June. Our top priority is a safe neighborhood and good preschools/elementary schools for our kids. That being said (lots of info in this forum on that subject) any cyclists give their 2cents on where you would live for good access to road and mtn biking?

I'll be working in Pt Loma so I'm nervous about living too far away. At the same time, I don't want to spend my entire weekend ride fighting traffic or waiting on traffic lights (nor does my wife as she'll have dibs on weekend rides!)

We're moving from Boston area (near Concord and Lexington) so we've been spoiled by being right by some of the nicest riding areas in Greater Boston area. We're hoping to find something similar in SD where we can access good group rides, tow the kids around safely (I'm not joking!), and I don't spend hours on my commute to work.

I've heard good things about living in LaJolla, Carmel Valley, Tierrasanta, and have found nice rentals to consider in these neighborhoods, but again, how frustrating is it going to be to ride out of our driveway and a get to some good roads? Or do we need to look in Poway (well publicized for it's schools) and I give up my dream of bike commuting?

Many thanks!
Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 11:16 PM

788 posts, read 1,877,818 times
I recommend UTC/University City & La Jolla from personal experience living there. I did not bike, but I jogged around the area daily. There are plenty of trails and various topographies for biking. It's also one of the most popular bike to work communities in San Diego (well at least amongst the more suburban parts of SD). And I'm not just generalizing this...I did a study with a professor for SDSU concerning alternative modes of transportation (biking) in various sd communities. I literally helped count how many bikers used certain trails lol...

Old 05-08-2011, 11:18 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,578,581 times
Liberty Station is a good place to live right in Point Loma. Liberty Station is an old Navy training base that's been converted to a planned residential/commercial development. Here's their website: Liberty Station : San Diego | Its all happening here! (http://www.libertystation.com/wordpress/ - broken link)

A sample single-family rental: Price REDUCED!3br - 3bath Single Family Home in Liberty Station (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/2368366332.html - broken link)
Condo's rent for about $2k.

Depending on where you work in Point Loma, Liberty Station should offer you an EZ daily bikeable commute.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:34 PM

1,180 posts, read 3,128,306 times
Why not look in and around Point Loma? The other places you mention are nice but your commute could be a real bear.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:38 AM

6 posts, read 12,928 times
Thanks for the feedback. We are looking in Point Loma but as you all know, houses are smaller and more expensive (thanks for the link to the Liberty Station home but it's about $500 too high for our comfort). And my commute isn't the only consideration; how is the bike riding out of Point Loma? Does it take a long time to get to emptier/clearer roads?

Old 05-09-2011, 07:53 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,935 times
Greggar, I am an avid cyclist. Actually Pt Loma used to be one of my favorite road rides from Downtown and back. Along N Harbor Drive there is a dedicated bike path that goes to all along the bay. However on the whole for the best of both worlds, Pt Loma is not a choice place. WAY too many cars and tourists in the summer. At some point, you must get onto a busy road to get across or to something.

I personally love the Pt Loma area including Liberty Station. However since you are talking about cycling and mountain biking, I cant not mention areas around Mission Trails, which is about 15 minute drive east of the Pt Loma area on the 8. In the greater SD area, Mission Trails as the size and space to have a fun ride all the time either on the road or not. Its challenging and the views are outstanding.
Lets just say 'of course' there will be more challenging routes in the county, but IMHO, it has the best of both worlds, not a ton of traffic (can be moderate when busy, but still ok) and a veyr short drive to just about anywhere you need to be. Mission Trails Regional Park

I dont know if you are looking to rent or buy, so I will just assume that if you are coming from the Concord area which is fairly rural (as I remember) its buy. There was a driving range I used to go to out there that had a nice Par 3, 9 hole when I lived in Boston and drove out there.
Some of the neighborhoods and cities that surround Mission Trails are: Santee to the North/Northeast, La Mesa, San Carlos and Tierrasanta. I dont think you could wrong with any of those neighborhoods and the home prices can generally range from mid 4's to 6's. There are some higher and lower in the price bracket but that is generally the meat and potatoes.
The homes are generally a bit older (by SD standards) and well kept and certainly more established than many other parts of 'new' SD. As you are from the east coast, a 50-60 year old house may seem laughable as being 'old' around here.

Two of the below maps are of homes for sale using Google Maps so it can give you a visual of where the trails are in relation. Santee and La Mesa are their own cities, San Carlos and Tierransanta are SD City neighborhoods.

SDLookup.com | Tierrasanta Map of Homes For Sale
SDLookup.com | San Carlos Map of Homes For Sale
SDLookup.com | Santee Map of Homes For Sale
SDLookup.com | Mt. Helix La Mesa Map of Homes For Sale

Most cycling enthusiast that I meet up with or see are probably more keen on the East County areas for biking ( starting with the areas I mentioned). Its just far less crowded than the coastal areas,has more challenging terrain and is nice and quiet. There are also other areas in the North County Inland area east of Poway which are some of the most challenging around (just brutal). For as much as I like going to the ocean, its really not something that I need to see on a day to day basis, but in SD you have your pick which is a great thing.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 05-09-2011 at 08:20 AM..

Old 05-09-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggar View Post
Thanks for the feedback. We are looking in Point Loma but as you all know, houses are smaller and more expensive (thanks for the link to the Liberty Station home but it's about $500 too high for our comfort). And my commute isn't the only consideration; how is the bike riding out of Point Loma? Does it take a long time to get to emptier/clearer roads?
Here's an article about biking in Point Loma:
San Diego Reader | Point Loma Bike Ride

If you Google it, you'll also find a few articles about biking around San Diego Bay. Liberty Station is on San Diego Bay.

As for the cost of renting a single family home, I doubt you'll see much difference in rental prices for similar homes between coastal La Jolla and Point Loma. Also, you'll save a lot of money with a short commute from Point Loma (I paid $4.32 for a gallon of gas yesterday). And how do you place a value on being with your family an extra hour or so everyday?

Old 05-09-2011, 08:14 AM

shmoov...
"Mission Trails, which is about 15 minute drive east of the Pt Loma area on the 8."

Mission Trails and Point Loma are about 20 miles apart. I really doubt you could drive that distance in 15 minutes at any time of the day. 30-45 minutes is much more realistic.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:28 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
shmoov...
"Mission Trails, which is about 15 minute drive east of the Pt Loma area on the 8."

Mission Trails and Point Loma are about 20 miles apart. I really doubt you could drive that distance in 15 minutes at any time of the day. 30-45 minutes is much more realistic.
cruitr and Greggar,

I stand corrected...still havent finished my first cup o joe yet
Greggar, if you are working a 9-5'er yes. Expect traffic based on those recommendations I posted. The 8 freeway can be a challenge during those hours as well as getting into the Pt Loma area off the Rosecrans exit. If that is the case, then its 20-25 going west and 40+ going east heading home.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:49 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,072,683 times
I live in carmel valley, with kids. I am originally from boston area [born in cambridge, raised mostly in metro west]....

The commute to Pt. Loma from CV would not be horrible. Depends on where exactl you are in Pt Loma.
And depends on your work hours.....
CV is an absolutely fantastic location-b/c it's easily accessible to the 5, 805 and 56 freeways. And you can readily access both central SD and north county coastal [encinitas, cardiff, del mar etc]. And CV has much w/in walking distance as far as grocery, health store, movie theater, many parks, schools, etc.

Also, CV gives you the option to ride over to Torrey Pines state reserve without using freeways. This is a prime biker route. Bike routes in CV as well.

It sounds like you would be happiest in this area, from your post.
Other options would be, yes, as you said, tierrasanta/mission trails area and perhaps you could check clairemont,w hich is central SD but very neighborhood-ish [try the 'MT' streets near Bay Park side of clairemont. Tecolote canyon is there, and you are about 5-10 min. from SD Bay and the 5 freeway, putting you very close to Pt Loma.

But culturally, Clairemont is pretty sterile. IF one were to compare it to your current locale.
Then again, Carmel Valley and Tierrasanta are not really bastions of vitality, either. But they are pretty places, safe, clean and tons of families....

Most places in SD are '20 minutes from everything', as a general rule. When there's no traffic.
So, while I might suggest Encinitas or Cardiff for you, it will increase your commute for sure.

I personally don't recommend Liberty station area or Pt Loma for living.
And don't forget to check the air traffic-the airport/jet traffic can be rough, depending on where in Pt Loma you are. [airport is downtown, so mission hills and pt loma, you need to check flight paths]

Someone suggested UTC/La Jolla-i think CV is better, b/c it's less crowded, streets less congested, housing less congested,a nd for about the same cost as UTC (just a couple of exits up the freeway, as well. And getting in and out of UTC pretty much cancels out any time you may have saved by living further south on the 5 -ie, towards Pt Loma).

Final thought: If you want more walkable funky/artsy/urban vibe, try University Heights, near Hillcrest. Plenty of homes on the canyon, both there and in nearby Mission Hills, as well as Kensington and parts of Normal Heights. [these are all close by each other] and your commute would be again about 20 minutes for the most part. Lots of families do live in this area.
Check out trolley barn park website for an idea, as well as Adams Ave antique row.

we lived in that area for 3 years as well.
downside=more urban, and frankly more unsavory types to deal with at the park and on the street. upside=far more charming architecture, restaurants, local businesses and cultural attractions that you could walk to.

I believe all of the neighborhoods mentioned have websites of some sort if you google them.
Also, my spouse used to bike from normal heights up to torrey pines on weekends-most of SD has trails and groups are accessible from everywhere.
good luck.
And for a random side note, remember we have rattlesnakes out here on the trails, even at torrey pines reserve [i've seen them] from april-october. (: they're not interested in you, but they do meander onto trails-and it's just an FYI....
Poway is VERY hot, count on at least 10 degrees hotter than coastal areas, during summer months and in general. Trails are great, though. It's about a 20 min. drive east on the 56 primarily, from CV to Poway. Commuting from east county, or north county inland [ie, poway] to pt. loma would be brutal. Not recommended.

Last edited by lrmsd; 05-09-2011 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego