Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 06:45 PM

4 posts, read 6,863 times

Advertisements

Hi, my roommates and I (all students) are moving to Normals Heights (for now it looks like we're going to be on Wilson Ave between Orange and University) and I was wondering what living around there is like (safety, community, etc). One of my buddies also drives a relatively new Audi and is somewhat concerned about car theft...is that warranted? Thanks for the feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 07:05 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I live on Wilson between El Cajon and Orange. The neighborhood is crappy, and I wish I could move, but I have to find a full time job first. Wilson between Orange and University isn't Normal Heights, it's City Heights. I don't have any problems myself, but I subscribe to the crime watch, and we get the usual stuff - narcotics, assault, break-ins, and an occasional prostitute. If I had a new Audi, I'd look for a place with a garage, because it's going to be parked on the street, due to the lack of parking. If it's fairly new, you risk getting it stolen. It sounds like you may be across from Edison Elementary, and the parents double park to pick their kids up from school every day.

I would move to another neighborhood.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:36 PM

Yeah we're going to be really close to the elementary school. The townhouse we're looking at has some designated parking spaces in the alley directly behind the property, would being parked there be less conducive to car theft?

Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 PM

You'll have lots of traffic and congestion from the school, and parking in an alley would actually be more conducive to car theft. I have an older vehicle and I wouldn't park it in an alley, even in a parking space. There's lots of traffic in the alleys at night. People drive up and down the alleys looking for bottles and cans, plus items that are thrown out that may be worth something to them, or to sell. There are also kids that play ball in the alleys, and sometimes break windshields on cars.

I had a set of a small round table with two chairs, and I couldn't even give it away. I put it out in the alley, and it was gone within 30 minutes.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:13 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Everything Moved has stated is accurate. It also is identical to what could be said about Normal Heights south of Adams which ends at El Cajon Boulevard - in regards to the traffic in the alley, the amount of people, the trash pickers, the way dumped items will be scavenged within an hour of being dumped.

All of that being said, given that you are a guy, and I presume your roommates are guys, I would have no qualms about your personal safety living in this area. It's not the worst part of City Heights. My only concern is your roommate's Audi. But then, plenty of other people who live in apartments in City Heights have remarkably nice cars. Somehow they evaluated the situation and decided to take that risk.

Oh, and officially, your locations is Corridor. Basically, they decided City Heights was too big and diverse to call the entire area City Heights, so they subdivided it up. However, for the area between University Avenue and El Cajon Boulevard there was no special historical name so they had to invent one. They couldn't come up with a good one for that area.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:18 AM

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback. Can you recommend some properties in that general area that are somewhat more desirable?

Old 05-23-2011, 10:44 AM

Look on Craigslist. Normal Heights starts when you cross El Cajon Blvd. For a better neighborhood, I would start there. Also, North Park (North Park proper), University Heights, South Park, Golden Hill. I have a North Park zip code (92104), but am really in City Heights (Corridor). Take a ride up the alleys and you'll see what I mean. My part of the alley has an old RV that just sits there, kids playing, sometimes there are chickens running around the alley, and trash everywhere. Look elsewhere.

It's very convenient, but like I said, it's crappy. I can deal with the crappy part, because I make my place look nice, and living in City Heights doesn't bother me. I just don't have enough room, there's no parking, and my landlord is a slumlord. My next door neighbor moved to Hillcrest, and after they rented her place for $20 more, he raised my rent $15.

I have a 400sqft cottage, and he doesn't care how many people live in them as long as the rent is paid, and they don't bother anyone. I don't know how they do it, because I barely have room for myself and my cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego