Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 05:22 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac9296 View Post
However, if you're looking for intelligent conversation, you might have to dig deep. If you're a man that hasn't been in the military, you're subhuman.
Or you go to one of the college campuses here and you hear it all of the time. Stop hanging out in the Gaslamp (where you are running into many non-San Diegans), and you'll be fine. The percentage of San Diegans with post-bachelor degrees is among the highest in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 06:01 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Like I say to every cynical, miserable East Coast transplant I encounter in California: Somewhere in Flahrida, a transient, cheaply built, somewhat ghetto subdivision is missing their idiot.
The most brilliant post I have read in a long time can be seen above.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:26 PM

38 posts, read 56,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Or you go to one of the college campuses here and you hear it all of the time. Stop hanging out in the Gaslamp (where you are running into many non-San Diegans), and you'll be fine. The percentage of San Diegans with post-bachelor degrees is among the highest in the United States.
I loved reading this.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:12 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,663 times
I am not from the East Coast. Born and raised in San Diego. One thing that annoys me about San Diego is the media praise of San Diego's weather. They are always like "no rain! We live in paradise" and "The rest of the country has rain, but we don't!" We are in a drought, we need the rain.

Last edited by aboveordinary; 11-12-2014 at 08:47 AM..

Old 11-12-2014, 08:24 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,814,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Like I say to every cynical, miserable East Coast transplant I encounter in California: Somewhere in Flahrida, a transient, cheaply built, somewhat ghetto subdivision is missing their idiot.
points for you whoops won't let me.. I have heard too many variations to the OP'S mantra for years up in coastal LA,OC.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:18 PM

401 posts, read 444,692 times
In all fairness, how does one exactly distinguish one bland, cookie-cutter subdivision (suburb) from another? Whether it be in 'Flahrida' or So Cal.

Call me 'cynical', but you can call me a country boy-turned-urban. Everything between is meh.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:14 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post
In all fairness, how does one exactly distinguish one bland, cookie-cutter subdivision (suburb) from another? Whether it be in 'Flahrida' or So Cal.

Call me 'cynical', but you can call me a country boy-turned-urban. Everything between is meh.
Actually, it is quite easy, not to mention quite different. Flahrida is hot, muggy, gritty, buggy and annoying. Thus having what you would call a "boring" house in the burbs of Southern California (85% of it is burb from Ventura/LA/OC/IE to San Diego, have a drive around) is far more appealing than most houses in FL.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:29 PM

495 posts, read 611,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechase View Post
I realize that many of you will disagree with this post, and I'm not looking really to convince you. I'm writing from the perspective of a single, early 30s educated professional.

I moved to San Diego about 19 months ago. I can't argue that the weather isn't spectacular or that there aren't plenty of very pretty views. In fact, when people ask me how I like living here, I always reply that San Diego is lovely. It really is.

But almost 2 years into living here, I am ready to leave. Culturally San Diego is a world apart even from Los Angeles and Orange County. Though there are islands of professional communities mostly in and around La Jolla, and plenty of idle rich in Del Mar and Rancho Santa Fe, most of San Diego is decidedly lower middle class. You can see it in the proliferation of Ford F150s, the very strong military element (as a % of the population, no U.S. urban area has more military connected people than San Diego-- and that's including D.C. Metro), the local obsession with dive bars, and the general lack of sophistication. You will find few people here who are interested in the world and who emphasize the values of education and hard work. They call this "laid back", which I thought meant relaxed, but really means uninterested. You will not find much in the way of cultural organizations around politics, art and culture and when you do you will find they cater to a much, much older crowd. You will meet a lot of locals who've rarely left California. For those coming from bigger cities, this will be a big culture shock.

Not to put too fine a point on it: San Diego totally lacks the sophistication of Los Angeles and other larger cities, but its prices are just as high. Take restaurants for example. I continue to be very surprised at the consistency with which San Diego restaurants offer below average food, below average service and high prices. In all sincerity, I am floored that so many San Diego restaurants can charge $30-40 for entrees-- in San Francisco and New York this means you're probably getting an excellent meal and being treated like a valued guest. With just a few exceptions, in San Diego it means average food and indifferent service. It's not that I need to be eating fancy meals all the time, but when I spend $140 for dinner for 2, I really hate feeling like I've been ripped off. I travel frequently for work-- East Coast, Chicago, Atlanta, SF, Nashville, Seattle-- and I've never experienced so many servers who feel that they are entitled to 20% gratuities or better just for showing up and restaurants that really don't give a damn whether you liked your meal or not.

Nightlife is a huge weakness if you're single. The under 25 set will find Pacific Beach and the Gaslamp to be all they hoped and dreamed, full of drunk, barely clothed hardbodies. There is about a 90% chance of witnessing a bar fight on a weekend night in either of these neighborhoods and I am not exaggerating. People here call it the "bro" element. I'm sure you can find bar fights in almost any city, but frankly I am stunned how often I see it here. There really aren't any good after work bars or lounges. Forget entirely about the self-consciously trendy places that are playing out fads that bigger cities found and digested 4-5 years ago (i.e. the speakeasy craze... hello San Diego, you're 5 years late to the party, so you can't be all that cool.) Because the human geography here is not very urban-- lots of 6 lane arterials, condominiums and strip malls-- it's not like you're meeting people on the street, either.

I'm not asking for anyone to agree with me. I'm writing this maybe to help out some others who might be on the fence about coming here from the East, L.A. or Northern California. I wish I had been able to know all of this; I would not have come here in the first place.
I think San Diego does have sophistication and an indie artsy feel, at least the last time I was there. There's even anarchist and pirate airwaves in San Diego, Hillcrest is like Haight Asbury in San Francisco, seaport village breakfast is delicious and not expensive. Mariana inn on pacific ave runs for $55/night when I stayed

I found San Diego to be more sophisticated than the U.S. Southeastern region

Old 11-12-2014, 09:20 PM

38 posts, read 56,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
I think San Diego does have sophistication and an indie artsy feel, at least the last time I was there. There's even anarchist and pirate airwaves in San Diego, Hillcrest is like Haight Asbury in San Francisco, seaport village breakfast is delicious and not expensive. Mariana inn on pacific ave runs for $55/night when I stayed

I found San Diego to be more sophisticated than the U.S. Southeastern region
San Diego undoubtedly has sophistication. The indie and artsy vibe you are picking up on is strongest in the reaches of the metropolitan area that stretches from East Village all the way to Encinitas. This includes the Gaslamp, Little Italy, North Park, Sunset Cliffs, O.B., La Jolla, Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe, Fairbanks Ranch, and Solana Beach... among other neighborhoods and villages.

Perhaps I can provide a local perspective to allow others the opportunity to understand how San Diego truly operates. The coast of most California cities are among the wealthiest communities in the nation, often accompanied by a strong background in education, solid work ethic, and an active go-get it lifestyle. Many of these types of San Diegans travel to cosmopolitan cities around the world, they engage in affairs globally, at places and meetings located in and around San Diego. Perhaps it's a coincidence that San Francisco has been the number one destination for out of bound San Diego flights. One can expect an exchange of thoughts and ideas, of culture.

If you're not enjoying yourself here, you need to find another place to live. But chances are, San Diego isn't the rock in your path... you are. When in San Diego, act as the San Diegans do. Take up hobbies, get outside, push yourself physically and mentally. You will encounter others doing the same. You aren't going to meet most of the people you'll spend your time with on the streets, you're going to meet them living proactively. People here are intellectual, but they will discuss these types of issues in the lineup, at the gym, in the smoothie bar during a lunch break, maybe even at a sunset cliff location. The city is extremely intelligent, college ratings consistently place San Diego schools in top rankings. Many of the city's local population attends these institutions.

San Diego is not like other American cities, California cities never have been. It's different, wild, and it's something you have to go after... it's not going to fall into your lap, and that's a good thing.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:26 PM

813 posts, read 1,273,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeUSA View Post
San Diego is not like other American cities, California cities never have been. It's different, wild, and it's something you have to go after... it's not going to fall into your lap, and that's a good thing.
This sums it up perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego