Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:20 PM

9 posts, read 86,585 times

Advertisements

I moved back out to CA almost 3 years ago and live in Pasadena but now want to follow the original plan and head down to SD. I know a little of the neighborhoods but have a few questions. I work from home and am single, some neighborhoods seem too "old & rich" and some too "young." I think I like Littly Italy, Hillcrest but would love to be closer to beach.

Safety is a concern and I love to be able to walk outside and grab a coffee vs. getting in my car.

Any neighborhoods you recommend and why? I make a decent income but don't want to spend a ton on an apt but also don't want to live in a closet or a dive.

Any tips would be helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 06:23 PM

134 posts, read 309,959 times
You should check out north Pacific Beach, Bird Rock area. I think it's the only beach close place that might really fit what you are looking for.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:38 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
I agree with mlarsen23 about Bird Rock and North PB from what I have seen going there. Its pretty relaxed and has lots of the things you are looking for. Its somewhat secluded as the freeway is pretty far from the coast in that area.

Tough call though as Hillcrest has some terrific things going for it that make it worth looking in to.

Personally I would choose to be closer to Balboa Park and live in the Hillcrest area. The beach is not far at all from there.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:37 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Do you have a job lined up yet?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:02 AM

57 posts, read 138,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Do you have a job lined up yet?
The OP stated that "I work from home" and "I make a decent salary."

It helps to read the post before replying...

Old 06-29-2011, 08:05 AM

57 posts, read 138,677 times
I am 29 and previously lived in North PB/Bird Rock. Currently have several friends who live there as well who are around the same age. I have to agree that it is close to the beach and a good fit for someone your age. The fact that you work from home is even better, as getting to the Interstate from the area can prove to be somewhat of a pain during rush hour (I used to live there and work in Sorrento Valley).

Alternatively, have you ever thought about living downtown? MUCH more walkable...

Good luck!

Old 06-29-2011, 11:20 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
If you work from home, and make a decent income, you can pretty much live where you want here. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:49 PM

9 posts, read 86,585 times
Thanks for all the replies. I love the idea of downtown but with a car it might be too pricey. I love Hillcrest and have heard NPB and Bird Rock are great areas so I am glad you are stating the same. Any complexes you recommend or are singles the way to go? I work from home so meeting new people in the area will be important!!

Old 06-29-2011, 06:35 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudk View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I love the idea of downtown but with a car it might be too pricey. I love Hillcrest and have heard NPB and Bird Rock are great areas so I am glad you are stating the same. Any complexes you recommend or are singles the way to go? I work from home so meeting new people in the area will be important!!
Don't discount downtown just because of parking. Most of the newer complexes there have assigned parking for their tenants, at no extra cost. The quieter areas of downtown you should look at are Cortez Hill and the Marina District.

The cool thing is that you can take a bike on the ferry to Coronado and ride to the beach from there in less than 15 mins.

Last edited by sdurbanite; 06-29-2011 at 07:10 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 06:48 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Don't discount downtown just because of parking. Most of the newer complexes there have assigned parking for their tenants, at no extra cost. The quieter areas of downtown you should look at are Cortez Hill and the Marina District.

The cool this is that you can take a bike on the ferry to Coronado and ride to the beach from there in less than 15 mins.
+1 sdurbanite

proudk,

I lived down there for 6 years on the border of the Marina District and Gaslamp. Living there was just a great experience seeing all the buildings go up etc. being regulars at some of the restaurants and bars. Most of it is fairly new as well.

sdurbanite makes some GREAT points that I share. Parking is normal in the newer buildings, so its not like an older city like NYC where you have a Brownstone apartment but park on the street. Most of the parking downtown is underground beneath the building and depending on the unit, some have 1 or 2 assigned spaces.

As far as life down there? Cant beat it. You have access to so many things that you can pretty much hang out in the area without ever having to take your car.
My wife and I would go to Old Town, Little Italy, take the ferry with our bikes to Coronado, quick drive to Hillcrest etc etc.

The only negative about downtown is that its not totally 'local' yet. You may have a difficult time meeting new people because the residents can be transient in nature (renting short term). You would get more of a local vibe in Hillcrest than Downtown. Being single, I might veer more towards Hillcrest than Downtown, but definitely take a hard look at whats for rent there.

PM me or post any questions you have about downtown. I have been in a good majority of the buildings over the years so can probably give you a good beat on pros and cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego