Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:01 PM

48 posts, read 78,755 times

Advertisements

some of my many reasons..

1) love all the microclimates (oh man, broke the rules already)
2) easy going pace. People seem to enjoy spending time with friends & BBQing, playing sports or going to one of our many parks, hiking at Mission Trails,
3) casual dress, I happen to love flip flops so I'm thrilled that I can wear them year round.
4) I like the different little neighbourhoods seperated by canyons instead of one big conurbation. I like going up to Mnt Soledad at sunset and looking at my city from up high or from the Coronado Bridge (if I don't have to drive it). I also love love love flying in to it.
5) Blue Angels at the airshow every year that fly over my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 11:31 PM

134 posts, read 310,043 times
See, I would argue that two of your reasons were actually about the weather.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:56 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Some great responses here, all I can do is expand on some of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post

1. Outdoor activities for an outdoorsy person/ natural beauty (this is indirectly tied to the weather and the availability of biking, hiking or jumping out of a plane)
This is a big one for me. I definitely take advantage of the outdoors. On weekends, I'm rarely indoors during the day. As a matter, I'm headed to the beach after this post.

Quote:
1a. Our local craft food and beer scene. Its exciting, the people that are doing it are excited about it and its all tangible (see #3 below). one place that I feel the customer really has voice for the business to be successful.
Yes! I love how drinking beer in this town has become so sophisticated! Esquire Magazine named SD as one of the best beer cities in the country recently.

Best Beer Cities - 7 Best Beer Cities in America - Esquire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnsd
1) Unique topography: Numerous canyons, mesas, and hills add to the beauty of the city. But more importantly, it creates a unique segmented feel to the city and gives our various neighborhoods their individual characteristics.
So true. Always something to look at in the distance around here, whether it be water, hills, canyons, valleys and mountains.

And SD is truly a city of neighborhoods. Lots of neighborhood pride and a strong sense of community in many areas. When people are asked where they live, no one says just says San Diego or mentions street intersections, it's either Hillcrest, PB, OB, Scripps Ranch, The Shores, Marina District, Bay Ho, etc. Even La Jolla has a breakdown of it's neighborhoods like
The Village, Bird Rock, Muirlands, Upper Hermosa, La Jolla Alta, among others.

Quote:
2) Traffic. I'll explain: I travel substantially through out the nation. Believe me when I say this, we have very little in the form of traffic issues, i.e., being in endless jams, daily freeway accidents, and a poor freeway system. LA and Phoenix are the closest cities I've been to that are much worse than San Diego.
Yup. We've got a great freeway system in place, one of the best out there. Wide and fast moving, usually. I mean, "The Merge" is 22 lanes at it's widest point (most in America - Highway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). The 15 is also going thru a widening phase, as we speak. I had the unfortunate experience of driving on the 15 when they carpool lanes were closed, and what a nightmare that turned out to be. I've said it before, freeway traffic is much better today than it was 10 years ago!

Quote:
3) The women: OMFG! The women. I will put San Diego against any city in the United States and compare the quality. No contest. This city attracts some of the hottest women you will see in your entire life. And they are everywhere. Everywhere.
Noted. Most recently, I was in NYC, Boston and Providence and can tell you I saw few attractive women during that entire trip. I remember arriving back at SD airport and noticing how much better everyone looked when I got here. I'm probably exaggerating, but I'm just going along with this post...... For the cream of the crop, try to go to Opening Day at Del Mar!! Holy cleavage!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement
Food options: I know many people complain about the food but I'd disagree with them. I think there is plenty variety of restaurants and types of food in the San Diego area. You can find just about anything you want. Mexican food is my favorite so that is a huge added plus to me about the area. But there are plenty of restaurants and options from low end food carts all the way up to ritzy restaurants.
You won't get any complaints from me. Those who complain about the food here just don't travel far enough or know where to go. A little research can go a long way. I eat out often and there are always new places to try, from Farmer's Markets, 24 hour coffeehouses, hole in the walls, upscale, etc. And don't get me started on the ethnic cuisine choices!

Just some things that I enjoy about living in San Diego:

Good live theater scene (La Jolla Playhouse, Old Globe), Music/Street/Food festivals throughout the year, garden walks/home tours, art walks, Summer Pop concerts on the bay, free music concerts at the park, OTL, Del Fair horse racing, hiking Mission Trails park, swimming in the ocean after a long workday......

That's all for now, will think of more later....the ocean is calling.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:32 AM

281 posts, read 811,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtaxi View Post
We've had a five reasons why not to, how about we do a five (or more if you choose) reasons why we like San Diego.

Two rules.
Can't mention beaches or weather because they are just too predictable and JosephineBeth might scream.
Hahaha. Very cute

I'll admit to being sensitive to the whole weather thing only because it is as if the weather alone makes other things o.k. I don't think that's true - I think it is a component just like anything else but how strongly it matters to you is an individual thing LOL

So I'll give my 5 reasons:

* You are an outdoors person who enjoys various outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, running --- San Diego is really a great city for outdoorsy type folks

* You like good REAL Mexican food

* You have family, friends, and a strong support network --- never underestimate the value of this!

* You want to live in a larger city environment but want it to feel like a much smaller town

* You are young (under 30) and value nightlife such as that which can be had in the Gaslamp and beaches areas - I think this area is very fun for young'un's Especially since they can live with roomates and cut costs leaving more $$ for fun with careful budgeting

P.S. I'm so proud of y'all for thinking of things other than the weather! You've made some great observations about the good things in San Diego!

Old 07-10-2011, 08:44 PM

127 posts, read 424,172 times
- Small town sufer vibe: LOVE the laid back feel you find coastally in North county.
- Fresh Veggies, Fruit and Fish: We came from a non coastal state were eating fish was like eating cardboard. Also there is always an awesome selection of healthy local produce.
- Tons of easy accessible hikeing locations
- Awesome parks on almost every corner
- (and it might sound silly but...) the air off the ocean is wonderfully cool and has a freashness to it that you can't get in say... Tennessee.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:12 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,069 times
I like the fresh air too. It is really nice to have window open all the time (although we are light weights and turn the air on at night in the summer- in large part to drown out people enjoying the nice evening). Oddly no bugs either. When we are home we have the patio door open too.

I have never slept better in my life with all the fresh air. I have lots more to add, but I have to mention the great ethnic food available, tasty!

Old 07-12-2011, 07:55 AM

425 posts, read 958,814 times
1- It's San Diego
2- It's San Diego

there are no other reason's needed.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:06 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
I like the fresh air too. It is really nice to have window open all the time (although we are light weights and turn the air on at night in the summer- in large part to drown out people enjoying the nice evening). Oddly no bugs either. When we are home we have the patio door open too.

I have never slept better in my life with all the fresh air. I have lots more to add, but I have to mention the great ethnic food available, tasty!
Clevelandgal,

Yes, the bugs, so true! When I lived in Orlando for a year, I never saw bugs like down there especially in the summer. Wow.

Here, unless you are near a body of water (not ocean) do you see mosquitoes and such.

I did get this for my house and garage side door though, just in case. Its worked out really well. What it definitely does not do is keep curious pets like my cat from popping through though
Pet Screen Door / Instant Screen Door -- Orvis

Old 07-12-2011, 10:16 AM

24 posts, read 43,478 times
One thing San Diego has lost in the last decade plus - the additional pleasures of life in Mexico. We loved going to Tijuana for a dinner at the spur of the moment - different environment. Running down to Puerto Nuevo and getting stuffed with lobster and cerveza. The beautiful drive down to Ensenada for the day - a little shopping, a nice abalone lunch and the lazy drive back home (do it at the right time and you could miss most of the border wait.) Camping on the beach and buying fresh tamales. Setting in your beach chair, feet in the surf, with melted butter dripping on your chest while you demolished a lobster just off the grill behind you. Visiting friends, eating home-cooked tuna steaks, the all-night wedding receptions with mariachis blaring, and going out at midnight to gorge at the corner taco stand.

God I wish the "war on drugs" would declare a truce!

Old 07-12-2011, 09:53 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post

This is def true imo. My windows were open pretty much every day during the day year round. I'd open them up when I left for work during winter then closed them when I got home, it helps keep the house smelling fresh and never stuffy. I closed them at night in winter except in my room, I like it cool to sleep and probably only closed by bedroom window completely 15-20 nights a year, if that. I lived by the coast so it was never that cold, inland is probably a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego