Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 09:28 AM

187 posts, read 133,177 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks,

We are in the process of relocating to San Diego County (Escondido).

Old habits die hard; although I have subscribed to Sirius XM for several years I still listen to broadcast radio, both FM and AM (kids, ask your parents about this, and while you're at it have them tell you a story about rotary telephones). And no, I don't read print newspapers anymore, but I do still subscribe to them online. (I don't miss the smudgy newsprint ink, though, lol!)

Anyway...for all my fifty-plus years living in the San Francisco Bay Area I had faithfully listened to KCBS All-News radio at 740 on the AM dial. For the last thirty years or so, while visiting our family in San Diego, I would also switch to KNX 1070 in Los Angeles after we got to the other side of Grapevine. Thus I have been listening mostly to KNX during our relocation, but they are biased to the Los Angeles area. So my question is, is there a similar all-news broadcast radio station in the San Diego area?

If not, any recommendations for an UNBIASED (neither red nor blue, left nor right) talk radio station?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 09:52 AM

10,311 posts, read 6,861,305 times
Unfortunately, most of the talk radio stations are biased, either left or right.

I was going to mention KFMB (760AM) but they are absolutely right, so they're out.

KOGO (600AM) is mostly news, but again, they have a political slant. (Listening to their Real Estate show now.)

You'll soon find that the radio market in San Diego is ripe for the plucking. With people scattered, more now than ever, it makes sense for radio stations to try to put the best/most interesting programming forward. But, they don't.

I've noticed when traveling thru Escondido, that there are few radio stations that come in very strong. Except for 1450AM, but that's Christian. Also, a country music station 103.7FM

You should still be able to receive KNX. I do. Especially if you live on a hill with northern slope. I'm not far from Escondido, on a hill, by the beach. My BOSE radio can reign in stations from San Francisco, to Ensenada. On Sunday evening, I can get the John Elway show, on the DENVER BRONCO HOME station. (I can also get Salt Lake City!)

All from a little BOSE radio with a di-pole antenna!

I can't really think of a station, in any format, that isn't biased.

Old 09-04-2021, 10:07 AM

187 posts, read 133,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Unfortunately, most of the talk radio stations are biased, either left or right.

I was going to mention KFMB (760AM) but they are absolutely right, so they're out.

KOGO (600AM) is mostly news, but again, they have a political slant. (Listening to their Real Estate show now.)

You'll soon find that the radio market in San Diego is ripe for the plucking. With people scattered, more now than ever, it makes sense for radio stations to try to put the best/most interesting programming forward. But, they don't.

I've noticed when traveling thru Escondido, that there are few radio stations that come in very strong. Except for 1450AM, but that's Christian. Also, a country music station 103.7FM

You should still be able to receive KNX. I do. Especially if you live on a hill with northern slope. I'm not far from Escondido, on a hill, by the beach. My BOSE radio can reign in stations from San Francisco, to Ensenada. On Sunday evening, I can get the John Elway show, on the DENVER BRONCO HOME station. (I can also get Salt Lake City!)

All from a little BOSE radio with a di-pole antenna!

I can't really think of a station, in any format, that isn't biased.
Hello Norty,

Fortunately I can receive KNX perfectly well over-the-air everywhere I have ventured (so far) in SDC. And I get a perfect KNX signal over the Internet at my residence, along with KCBS from San Francisco when I'm feeling nostalgic. I still occasionally fall asleep listening to the radio, so in that aspect my Grace Digital internet-connected clock radio is a blessing.

Based on what I've seen & heard so far I think I'll stick with KNX.

Thanks again!

Old 09-04-2021, 11:16 AM

3,475 posts, read 5,269,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuhagiar View Post
Hello Folks,

We are in the process of relocating to San Diego County (Escondido).

Old habits die hard; although I have subscribed to Sirius XM for several years I still listen to broadcast radio, both FM and AM (kids, ask your parents about this, and while you're at it have them tell you a story about rotary telephones). And no, I don't read print newspapers anymore, but I do still subscribe to them online. (I don't miss the smudgy newsprint ink, though, lol!)

Anyway...for all my fifty-plus years living in the San Francisco Bay Area I had faithfully listened to KCBS All-News radio at 740 on the AM dial. For the last thirty years or so, while visiting our family in San Diego, I would also switch to KNX 1070 in Los Angeles after we got to the other side of Grapevine. Thus I have been listening mostly to KNX during our relocation, but they are biased to the Los Angeles area. So my question is, is there a similar all-news broadcast radio station in the San Diego area?

If not, any recommendations for an UNBIASED (neither red nor blue, left nor right) talk radio station?

Thanks in advance!
SD doesn't have anything like 740 AM in SF, but you have options:
-You can listen to KCBS streaming online (Bay Area centric, of course), and you can put that on a Bluetooth speaker in your home or car.
- You can actually receive the KCBS (and KGO) signal here pretty well after sunset. We listen to it in the car at night all the time.
-KOGO is all news during the morning commute, so you can get that style of news in the pre-9 AM weekday times.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Old 09-04-2021, 01:18 PM

6,508 posts, read 7,545,217 times
KNX 1070 comes in clearly through out SD County, I enjoy listening to it...but San Diego specific news is covered less than 5% of the time. It generally has to be a pretty big story for KNX to cover San Diego news.

Old 09-04-2021, 02:57 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,432,447 times
If you ever get the chance to look at local SD news you can very well see ain't much happening around here besides maybe border issues. The rest of the "news" has to do with Sweetwater High School Football, Dui's and local events. Not really much to clog up an entire podcast full of intellectual conversation and certainly not a full-time radio station.

If anything the best news to listen to right now is foreign based. BBC AlJAzeera...anything without an American slant to it. The world sees America very differently than we see ourselves. You can learn a lot by paying attention to what others have to say about us.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:15 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,458,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
- You can actually receive the KCBS (and KGO) signal here pretty well after sunset.

Yep. I used to be able to listen to Ray Taliafero on KGO in the night. That was a long time ago though. These days, I find talk radio abhorrent but to each their own.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:18 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,458,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
If anything the best news to listen to right now is foreign based. BBC AlJAzeera...anything without an American slant to it. The world sees America very differently than we see ourselves. You can learn a lot by paying attention to what others have to say about us.

It's what the rest of the world doesn't say that is teachable. We aren't the center of the universe in world news, with some exceptions. For some reason my friends in Australia always seem to know what's going on here locally (in San Diego, not just the U.S. in general) and I'm always blown away by it. If our news feed is slow and boring, what's it say about theirs?

Old 09-05-2021, 10:29 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
It's what the rest of the world doesn't say that is teachable. We aren't the center of the universe in world news, with some exceptions. For some reason my friends in Australia always seem to know what's going on here locally (in San Diego, not just the U.S. in general) and I'm always blown away by it. If our news feed is slow and boring, what's it say about theirs?
Seriously. If they heard the local news feeds they would think the entire State is on fire and burning to the ground and everyone is dying from the Covids. They are all the same just on a big loop.

Old 09-05-2021, 10:55 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,568,536 times
KPBS (88.5 FM) is good for local news at the top or bottom of the hour, but otherwise most of the stories covered aren't local. At least they attempt to give exposure to diverse viewpoints of issues, unlike our AM stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego