Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:59 PM

19 posts, read 44,065 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am a student at San Diego State University school of communication. The reason for this post is because I am currently starting an ethnographic study on the culture and people who participate in the sport of shooting.

I am interested in finding out as much as I can about these people and their connection to the sport.

I would prefer to be able to narrow down my study to only people who participate in the sport of Air gunning however, I realize that this maybe a subject pool to shallow to draw from so I have decided to expand my study to include all individuals who enjoy sport shooting, hunting, or professional / competitive shooting.

As many of you will know ethnographic research is largely inductive. Thus at this point I do not have a "Thesis" because it is not often the way this research is conducted. I cannot clearly state what I am attempting to find, the only thing I am able to say at this point is that I require data in order to begin to see the larger picture. With ethnographic research you usually develop the question from the data. Unlike a scientific approach where you develop the question then seek out the data deductively.

This all being said, I am asking you guys for help. Not with my experiment, that would be impossible as ethnographic research requires me to actually be physically present in the environment. As you all know an online forum is not directly engaging nor is it asking the questions, stories, and obtaining information in the natural setting.

I want to visit places where people who enjoy the sport of Air gunning or general shooting might frequent. I do not know any of these places off hand. I did a quick Google search and was able to find the American shooting center located at 5590 Ruffin Road. This is a great start but I will need more locations in order to expand my search. I need about 20-30 subjects willing to tell me their stories, and allow me to observe them while they shoot, interact, socialize, and live out their hobby.

If anyone is willing to point me to some places where I may find the individuals that I am looking for I would appreciate it a great deal.

If you happen to know of an actual air gun club, society, or association in San Diego that would be even better.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 11:15 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,154,139 times
Try the Barrett Reservoir gate, two and a half hours before sunset, on Wednesdays and Saturdays starting in mid-October.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:49 PM

141 posts, read 286,964 times
American Shooting is good place to start. Ok I know what you are asking for but..............try this...search you tube for sport shooting. You will find 15 year old girls and 55 year old guys. Shooting is not so much a sport, its a gun mentality. I own a gun and wear a gun in my house all the time. Why because I know SDPD cannot protect me from an armed intruder, or any intruder for that matter.

I might participate in your study if I know you are PRO GUN. If it is some liberal study about guns then not interested. We have decided as a family to move from this state partly because of the restrictive gun laws. You will most likely find that most gun owners are smart people who know the law and feel comfortable around weapons. Prior military, cops, firefighters, business owners, etc. Lets say this, no one who owns a gun for illegal activities is going to talk to you about your research. Sport shooting is great fun, but it has a purpose. It is to make a shooter out of a non shooter, or to improve the shooters ability to use the gun. The purpose of the gun is to Kill the bad guys. If you can dig what I am saying then lets talk.

Oh yea and the Air Guns don't have any relation to real guns. Air guns are toys that are for playing solider or cops and robbers. I have never owned an air gun, all my guns have real bullets in them and have a specific purpose. That is to defend life and limb against scumbag criminals, psychotic persons, danger from unlawful invasion, or civil unrest.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrescue View Post
... all my guns have real bullets in them and have a specific purpose. That is to defend life and limb against scumbag criminals, psychotic persons, danger from unlawful invasion, or civil unrest.

Not to mention suicide. Which is, according to statistics, the most likely practical use to which you or your children will ever put your guns. (That's not counting shooting pigeons and squirrels, naturally.)

Old 09-02-2011, 12:20 AM

19 posts, read 44,065 times
I am not against guns nor am I pro guns. My own personal political views aside I am not trying to portray anything as one side versus another. As with all ethnographic research I am simply trying to learn the culture, find similarities in the culture, and tell the story of the people who I meet. Unfortunately this type of research can't be done with a simple online survey. I have to actually participate, ask questions, listen to stories and observe gun safety classes, etc in order to get the rich descriptions I am looking for.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:30 AM

141 posts, read 286,964 times
Default the most practical use for my gun is

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Not to mention suicide. Which is, according to statistics, the most likely practical use to which you or your children will ever put your guns. (That's not counting shooting pigeons and squirrels, naturally.)
As of 7:30 today keeping a gangbanger from tagging my house and car.

Why You Need A Gun - YouTube

I would be willing to meet you, I will call some buddies and see if they are willing to meet with us also. Send me a direct message

Old 09-02-2011, 02:40 AM

Quote:
As of 7:30 today keeping a gangbanger from tagging my house and car.
Yikes. You need to move to a better part of town, man.

For the rest of us who live in non-ghetto neighborhoods, owning a gun is counterproductive. If I live in a decent area, there is a greater chance that my son will find my gun and shoot himself, than that I'll get to fire that gun in self defense.

And, If I ever feel particularly bloodthirsty and I want to kill some harmless animals, I'd much rather do that with a good compound bow than with a rifle. There's just no fun and no challenge in using a rifle.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:17 AM

140 posts, read 488,947 times
There's bunch of ranges in area and associated gun clubs. Perhaps sign up for a basic gun class.

You sound a bit like a foreign student at a university. This study will certainly give you insight into what I would call a uniquely American cultural phenomena.

First I suggest you rent or borrow a pickup truck preferably with an NRA sticker on that back window. For gods sakes DON'T drive there in a Prius, unless you can find one with a gun rack.

Get a nice hat, preferably a cowboy hat aka, a ten gallon hat and weathered jeans, and some cowboy boots. This will help to futher put your subjects at ease. Try not to look too much like that cowboy from the Village People band.

If you have an accent, tell them you are either from Austria or Kazakhstan.

Good luck on your research project my friend!

Old 09-02-2011, 05:07 AM

711 posts, read 1,512,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Yikes. You need to move to a better part of town, man.

For the rest of us who live in non-ghetto neighborhoods, owning a gun is counterproductive. If I live in a decent area, there is a greater chance that my son will find my gun and shoot himself, than that I'll get to fire that gun in self defense.

And, If I ever feel particularly bloodthirsty and I want to kill some harmless animals, I'd much rather do that with a good compound bow than with a rifle. There's just no fun and no challenge in using a rifle.
Crime happens EVERYWHERE. For me the idea of gun ownership is based upon life experience, especially from the viewpoint of a Police Officer. If you can make comments like the above about guns being counterproductive because you live in a "decent area" then you are way out of touch with the true nature of humans. Gun ownership for the average working man/woman/family is about having the freedom to go anywhere instead of hiding away in my decent place to live. Your personal protection is your responsability first and foremost. With that being the case I would much rather be judged by 12 than carried by six. The police are usually there for the cleanup.

Times when I have been asked why I carry a gun in my daily living the best and usually most disarming answer I give to people who are anti gun is "I carry a gun because carrying a police officer is to heavy". I think you may be overwhelmed by some of the people you encounter on both sides of this debate. Just remember "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter". Good luck.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
Crime happens EVERYWHERE. For me the idea of gun ownership is based upon life experience, especially from the viewpoint of a Police Officer. If you can make comments like the above about guns being counterproductive because you live in a "decent area" then you are way out of touch with the true nature of humans. Gun ownership for the average working man/woman/family is about having the freedom to go anywhere instead of hiding away in my decent place to live. Your personal protection is your responsability first and foremost. With that being the case I would much rather be judged by 12 than carried by six. The police are usually there for the cleanup.

Times when I have been asked why I carry a gun in my daily living the best and usually most disarming answer I give to people who are anti gun is "I carry a gun because carrying a police officer is to heavy". I think you may be overwhelmed by some of the people you encounter on both sides of this debate. Just remember "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter". Good luck.

I don't think that I'm out of touch with the true nature of humans. Murders do happen. In this country, more often than elsewhere, because it's way too easy for a lowlife to get a handgun. But they are still very rare. It is more likely that your view is biased because of your work experience.

I personally don't know anybody who would've benefited from owning a gun at any point in his or her life. People who own guns are trying to defend themselves against an imaginary threat, while at the same time exposing themselves and their loved ones to a very real one, by keeping a deadly weapon in their house.

If you ever had a bad case of depression, or you ever struggled with addiction, or even had a curious 10-year old son, you'd probably understand why having a gun in your house is simply not safe for you or people around you. And that by far outweighs all benefits you might gain from using it to defend against mythical villains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego