Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,160 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a single 50+yr old latina who will be moving to SD in a couple of weeks. I will be working in the business park off of Mira Mesa Blvd.
About me: active, outgoing, into salsa, R&B, tango, yoga, street markets, festivals, hanging out at the beach.
Places I have lived before and really liked: Philly, London England. I love parts of Brooklyn and the Village in NYC eventhough I've never lived there.
Rental budget: up to $1,700 monthly
Housing requirements: I would like a 2 bedroom apartment and a parking space for my SUV. A balcony, small patio or garden would be nice. To be to walk to stores, restaurants, parks. Be within a 25 minute drive to my job. Oh and a nice view from my apartment would be the icing on the cake.
So what part of SD would you recommend I move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 02:48 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
When you say a business park off of Mira Mesa Blvd, do you mean near I-15 (east side) or I-5 (west side)? I'm going to assume you are working near I-5 and make recommendations accordingly.

Fortunately, your rental budget seems pretty comfortable. Though I don't believe it will put you in view of the ocean.

Judging by your desire to walk to stores, restaurants, and parks, and attend street festivals, I'm going to suggest Little Italy, Hillcrest, Mission Hills, and Park West. You also might like University Heights and northern Normal Heights. However, Normal Heights might put you a little too far east. Driving on the 805 during rush hour will not be a 25 minute commute. Parking can be an issue in these neighborhoods, however with the rent you are willing to pay, parking should be provided.

I would not suggest La Jolla. The parts that are walkable and urban are so distant time-wise from the freeway, that I don't think you will be 25 minutes from work. Plus, I don't think you will find what you want within your budget there.

Finally there is this outlier possibility, along with Little Italy, you might choose the Marina area of Downtown and take the Coaster up to the Sorrento Valley RR station. I'm not familiar though with how they get the commuters from the Sorrento Valley RR station up to the Sorrento Mesa business parks. Downtown would put you walkably close to the Gaslamp, with the possibility of nice walks along the harbor. Would you have a view or a garden, no, but you should have a patio.

Pacific Beach might be an option. There might be something in northern Pacific Beach along the Turquoise Avenue arterial. That is where the adults live in Pacific Beach. Further south is college kid central and not for you.

There are plenty of new modern apartments in Mission Valley, however, that area is auto-centric. You can walk to places, but it's not a walking area. However, if in the end you find that your lack of knowledge of San Diego makes it difficult to decide on a neighborhood, you could move to Mission Valley as a starting point, and move again in a year or two.

I'm not familiar enough with the coastal cities north of San Diego, such as Del Mar and Solana Beach to say whether they would fill your wish list.

North Park and South Park are walkable to stores and restaurants, however you would find yourself commuting up the 805 and that would not be a 25 minute drive - more like 45 minutes.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,160 times
Thank you kettlepot for your recommendations! What I have read about Hillcrest in other threads caught my eye. I will certainly have a look at the other areas you recommended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego