Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 10:38 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,547,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
No, it's an ethnicity. But the vast majority of Mexicans are people of color. The only ones who aren't are the very few who are purely descended from the Spaniards, and maybe others whose ancestors immigrated from other areas of Europe and kept marrying into their own race.
Last time I checked, everyone has a color! Caucasian people are even "colored" -- some very light/pinkish color all of the way to olive/brown almost....

This isn't the 1960's okay....stop saying "people of color"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
There's some truth to why some people call San Diego "The Mid-West by the Sea".

I blame the military unfortunately for some race related issues that San Diego has, and the kinds of people it attracts. We are as a whole are a very segregated city and county, racially, culturally, and economically.

San Diego County has a semi-rural feel to it, suburban neighborhoods will suddenly cut into rural sections and you feel like you're in the wilderness or the middle of nowhere. OC and L.A. is the complete opposite, it's a concrete jungle. I believe this is one reason why we attract a lot of country folks from elsewhere as they feel at home and is the reason for some of racial problems in parts of East County which have been well documented over the years. It's a non verbal kind of racism however, if you're White, you will never understand. I've personally have experienced it in Lakeside and El Cajon. And many of the kinds of people that give off this non verbal hate, are the ignorant Rednecks, Hicks, and Bro's in lifted trucks, they are the worse. A lot of trash live out there, no offense.

At least in OC, you have L.A., which brings people from many different racial and cultural backgrounds into OC's many different cities and neighborhoods.

The times I drive up to OC, it's mind boggling how many Asians and Hispanics you see everywhere all over the place compared to San Diego. Even South OC where all the rich live, you see a lot wealthy Middle Eastern people, and upper class Hispanics as well. If anything is said or done upon in a racist manner it's probably gonna be a class thing with some rich person that sees you driving a 10 year old Honda is prejudging you big time.

In San Diego, Hispanics and Blacks mainly are solely situated South of 8 and in parts of El Cajon, Escondido, Lemon Grove.

You don't see them mixed in very well with the rest of the White population here like you do in OC.

Whites tend to self segregate more so than other races I believe, their general overall wealth allows them to be able to easily do this obviously. Whites are wealthier on whole and like to keep their neighborhoods, clean, quiet and safe for a specific reason. That reason is partially to let the poor minorities know you're not welcome in their perfect lilly White neighborhood, the constant rehabbing of older homes, keeps their property values high which then only discourages say a Latino family from moving in and changing the cultural and look of the neighborhood. I guarantee you if you looked up the stats of Hispanic and Black homeownership in SD County, it's probably dismal to almost non existent in many SD area's.

Just imagine if a Popeyes Chicken opened up in Santee? The residents will be up in arms! Protesting in the streets with their confederate flags, jesus, guns and pickup trucks that you'd swear you landed in 1950's Alabama. J/K.

On the real though, SD is slightly racist, and to me it does sorta feel unwelcoming to me personally in certain area's of East County and the some Beach area's. Mira Mesa, Clairemont, SD proper is fine, but East County is a strange world of it's own. Don't be surprised if you see trucks plastered with stickers of right wing propaganda, "Proud to be a Marine", the "Confederate Flag" and "Tea Party flag" all wrapped up on the back side of a Ford F-350. It's a well known sighting in East County.
It sounds like you really hate white people....maybe you should move to Atlanta, New Orleans or Detroit?

Old 01-09-2015, 10:46 PM

I swear, the most racist people on C-D are these angry black militants who want to look for "racism" everywhere and are race-obsessed.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:31 AM

170 posts, read 188,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
The only ones who aren't are the very few who are purely descended from the Spaniards, and maybe others whose ancestors immigrated from other areas of Europe and kept marrying into their own race.
Those don't consider themselves to be Mexicans.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:51 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I swear, the most racist people on C-D are these angry black militants who want to look for "racism" everywhere and are race-obsessed.
IMO, the most racist people on C-D are those in whom it's so ingrained (their having grown up with it) that they don't even remotely suspect when they are being racist. (I grew up in Chicago, and most people there are *still* that way.) And they're totally oblivious, even when someone points out the racism.

FWIW, I'm a little old white lady - about as opposite from "angry black militant" that you can get!

Old 01-10-2015, 09:11 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
There's some truth to why some people call San Diego "The Mid-West by the Sea".

I blame the military unfortunately for some race related issues that San Diego has, and the kinds of people it attracts. We are as a whole are a very segregated city and county, racially, culturally, and economically.

San Diego County has a semi-rural feel to it, suburban neighborhoods will suddenly cut into rural sections and you feel like you're in the wilderness or the middle of nowhere. OC and L.A. is the complete opposite, it's a concrete jungle. I believe this is one reason why we attract a lot of country folks from elsewhere as they feel at home and is the reason for some of racial problems in parts of East County which have been well documented over the years. It's a non verbal kind of racism however, if you're White, you will never understand. I've personally have experienced it in Lakeside and El Cajon. And many of the kinds of people that give off this non verbal hate, are the ignorant Rednecks, Hicks, and Bro's in lifted trucks, they are the worse. A lot of trash live out there, no offense.

At least in OC, you have L.A., which brings people from many different racial and cultural backgrounds into OC's many different cities and neighborhoods.

The times I drive up to OC, it's mind boggling how many Asians and Hispanics you see everywhere all over the place compared to San Diego. Even South OC where all the rich live, you see a lot wealthy Middle Eastern people, and upper class Hispanics as well. If anything is said or done upon in a racist manner it's probably gonna be a class thing with some rich person that sees you driving a 10 year old Honda is prejudging you big time.

In San Diego, Hispanics and Blacks mainly are solely situated South of 8 and in parts of El Cajon, Escondido, Lemon Grove.

You don't see them mixed in very well with the rest of the White population here like you do in OC.

Whites tend to self segregate more so than other races I believe, their general overall wealth allows them to be able to easily do this obviously. Whites are wealthier on whole and like to keep their neighborhoods, clean, quiet and safe for a specific reason. That reason is partially to let the poor minorities know you're not welcome in their perfect lilly White neighborhood, the constant rehabbing of older homes, keeps their property values high which then only discourages say a Latino family from moving in and changing the cultural and look of the neighborhood. I guarantee you if you looked up the stats of Hispanic and Black homeownership in SD County, it's probably dismal to almost non existent in many SD area's.

Just imagine if a Popeyes Chicken opened up in Santee? The residents will be up in arms! Protesting in the streets with their confederate flags, jesus, guns and pickup trucks that you'd swear you landed in 1950's Alabama. J/K.

On the real though, SD is slightly racist, and to me it does sorta feel unwelcoming to me personally in certain area's of East County and the some Beach area's. Mira Mesa, Clairemont, SD proper is fine, but East County is a strange world of it's own. Don't be surprised if you see trucks plastered with stickers of right wing propaganda, "Proud to be a Marine", the "Confederate Flag" and "Tea Party flag" all wrapped up on the back side of a Ford F-350. It's a well known sighting in East County.
I've always liked your post and I pretty much agree with you here. I like how you explained the the racism felt isn't something whites would understand. A lot of my friends, who are mostly white, are puzzled when they find out that I avoid east county and Ocean Beach.

Your assessment on OC surprised me. I have always had the impression that in many ways it is worse than SD. In a different way though. Where as SD has more of the "Hickville" type racism, OC seems to have more of the urban kind which class plays a big part of but you skin color generally automatically puts you in that class if you catch my drift.

I have seen enough Confederate Flags in East County to last a lifetime that's for sure. Then again, my old neighborhood in Chula Vista, I had a neighbor who had one too. He lived next to someone who flew a Mexican Flag and next to them was someone with an American Flag LOL

Old 01-10-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Yes there are more, but I am talking about groups large enough to form communities. There isn't a Latino community in SD. There is a Mexican community and Brazilian community. For the rest, there are sprinkles of people all over the county.

In Miami, there is a Cuban community, a Colombian community, a Venezuelan community, etc....
Where are the Brazilian communities?

Old 01-10-2015, 12:33 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Where are the Brazilian communities?
Ocean Beach, Pacific Beach, Point Loma, Mission Beach, La Jolla.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Ocean Beach, Pacific Beach, Point Loma, Mission Beach, La Jolla.
ah ok. I don't spend too much time in those areas. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:06 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
ah ok. I don't spend too much time in those areas. Thanks.
You did mention something about Ocean Beach- you had a bad experience there?

I have lived in many areas including La Jolla and Coronado and have not experienced racism. The only place where I have seen and heard crazy things related to racism is El Cajon. At the same time, I know a lot of Black people who live comfortably there, so its a weird place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego