Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 06:11 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times

Advertisements

I've been hearing a lot about how if you move from another high cost of living area to here, you need to make more here to maintain the same standard of living.

I decided, let's see what the data shows.

I went to bankrate.com and checked out their cost of living comparison calculator.

Cost of Living comparison calculator

I plugged in $50K for DC and here. According to their calculator, you can take a 5.58 percent paycut if you move from DC to here and still maintain the same standard of living. If you move from New York, the difference is minimal.

Now, if you're making $50K in Omaha and move here, then yes, you will need to make a lot more to maintain the same standard of living. You'll need to boost your income to $75K. Moving from Pittsburgh would require a jump from $50K to $72K.

It's all relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 07:33 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
The state of CA has somewhere between 37-39 million people. San Diego County and Orange County EACH have over 3 million. (The state of NM, which is only a little bit smaller in total area, than CA, has a total of 2 million people.) There is almost NO way to get away from people.
I drove up to the Palomar Observatory last weekend. I live about 35 minutes from it. On my way up there, I pulled off at one of the many designated scenic overlooks and peed while facing due west. Nobody saw me.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:35 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
I drove up to the Palomar Observatory last weekend. I live about 35 minutes from it. On my way up there, I pulled off at one of the many designated scenic overlooks and peed while facing due west. Nobody saw me.
TMI!!!!!!

I know you're trying to help, but..........

Old 12-12-2011, 12:41 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
TMI!!!!!!

I know you're trying to help, but..........
From where I was standing, I essentially exposed myself to all of north county, so the OP is wrong. My God, once you go east of the 15 freeway, it's all back country and mountains complete with podunk little hick towns and everything. Hell Ramona and Julian might as well be in West Virginia because they've got the same vibe. Not saying that's a bad thing....just saying that's how it is.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:36 AM

64 posts, read 171,482 times
I lived in Laguna Beach for 1 year. The minute I drove into LA, I hated it.
I could not stand the climate, way too many earthquakes within a year, and the people were not down to earth. I'm glad That I'm back in the city that never sleeps .

Old 12-13-2011, 08:06 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasket View Post
I lived in Laguna Beach for 1 year. The minute I drove into LA, I hated it.
I could not stand the climate, way too many earthquakes within a year, and the people were not down to earth. I'm glad That I'm back in the city that never sleeps .
Just my opinion, but Orange County has a very different feel than San Diego-at least central SD. I have been to OC many times since I have been here, and found it to have the character of a giant suburb. The drivers are aggressive and obnoxious, the communities lack character and people seem to be consumed with consumption! I think the beaches are nice, but it would not be enough to warrant living there. While no city will have the character of NYC, San Diego has some unique charms of it own.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 AM

14 posts, read 39,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
If you ski, you will have a horrible time in the winter getting home from the ski areas on a weekend (and often times getting to the ski areas), due to traffic, and if you go to the beach (during the summer), you will have a horrible time trying to find parking. And good luck trying to get out of your car if you even find a way-too-skinny parking place -- anywhere.
well if you surf, you can do it year around but you can't do it where you live now

I personally think San Diego is Jewel of Southern California.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:11 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,949,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebyonesd View Post
well if you surf, you can do it year around but you can't do it where you live now

I personally think San Diego is Jewel of Southern California.
I moved to SD because of the over-hyped "jewel" reputation and I did have a good paying job... run from there like from hell, the place is suffocating, overpriced, full of stuck up people who hate anyone who wasn't born in the US, conservative, nothing to do, no nature really or forests, little outdoor opportunities unless you're a surfer or into beach, impossible to meet interesting people, uniform-looking boring stucco houses, strip malls, endless, extreme sun. Beach is the only activity. Portland was such a pleasant contrast, like a cup of fresh water after SD.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:21 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
I moved to SD because of the over-hyped "jewel" reputation and I did have a good paying job... run from there like from hell, the place is suffocating, overpriced, full of stuck up people who hate anyone who wasn't born in the US, conservative, nothing to do, no nature really or forests, little outdoor opportunities unless you're a surfer or into beach, impossible to meet interesting people, uniform-looking boring stucco houses, strip malls, endless, extreme sun. Beach is the only activity. Portland was such a pleasant contrast, like a cup of fresh water after SD.
I don't know which San Diego you were in, but it's not the same one I live in.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:37 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I don't know which San Diego you were in, but it's not the same one I live in.

What he said is so wrong on so many levels. I'll just take the hate everyone who wasn't born in the United States. Uh huh. Because a border city, where so many people have Mexican heritage, is going to be like that.

But I'm glad he's out of here. One less negative person to ruin our day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego