Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 04:41 PM

7 posts, read 18,098 times

Advertisements

Were a family of 4 living in Atlanta contemplating a move to SD. Atlanta is an OK place, however, I came here just out of college and never had a chance to see other areas. Now, were both self employed, so economically we should be fine after we settle in. Were looking for an outside lifestyle and communities with lots of children. Originally, I'm from the northeast and never really connected with the deep south, it's definitely a different world down here. Were a biracial family, wife is asian and I'm white. So maybe you see where I'm going with this. I hope I don't offend anyone. As far as housing is concerned we would prefer something around 2000sqft, were not interested in big homes, been there done that. Overall, were trying to find a place that we can call home and provides a challenging and secure environment for our children. Right or wrong aside, my wife is concerned about raising our children in the deep south. We have also considered areas in South Fla but southern California seems to be a better fit. Has anybody made the move from the deep south? Any regrets or concerns? Is the grass really greener on the other side?

Thanks

Last edited by venice99; 01-14-2012 at 04:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 05:41 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venice99 View Post
Were a family of 4 living in Atlanta contemplating a move to SD. Atlanta is an OK place, however, I came here just out of college and never had a chance to see other areas. Now, were both self employed, so economically we should be fine after we settle in. Were looking for an outside lifestyle and communities with lots of children. Originally, I'm from the northeast and never really connected with the deep south, it's definitely a different world down here. Were a biracial family, wife is asian and I'm white. So maybe you see where I'm going with this. I hope I don't offend anyone. As far as housing is concerned we would prefer something around 2000sqft, were not interested in big homes, been there done that. Overall, were trying to find a place that we can call home and provides a challenging and secure environment for our children. Right or wrong aside, my wife is concerned about raising our children in the deep south. We have also considered areas in South Fla but southern California seems to be a better fit. Has anybody made the move from the deep south? Any regrets or concerns? Is the grass really greener on the other side?

Thanks
I am confident you will enjoy the San Diego area. California in general has a large Asian population and biracial couples are not a rarity. There are several family friendly neighborhoods throughout, you need to investigate this site and go through the plethora of threads discussing your very concern. Good Luck on the move!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:05 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
Are you looking to start a business out here or will you be bringing your business with you? Also, what's you budget for housing?

Old 01-15-2012, 04:19 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Hey venice99! I'm a half-Asian who grew up in Atlanta and lived in SD so I might be able to give you some insight. What nationality is your wife, if you don't mind me asking? My mother is Japanese so my family might be able to relate to yours. She didn't really care for Georgia, she liked Seattle where we previously lived a lot better.

I would recommend the northeast "suburbs" of San Diego such as Clairemont, Kearny Mesa, or Mira Mesa. The reason why I pub suburbs in quotation marks is because they are suburban like communities actually still within the city limits of SD. Kearny Mesa has a large Asian community, and has a lot of food markets and restaurants of virtually all Asian nations (at a minimum Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, and Filipino).

I also have some Navy friends who I was stationed with in Japan with Japanese wives that later transferred to SD, and most of them (the wives) love it there. Me and my GF and possible/hopeful future wife, who is also Japanese, wouldn't mind living there either.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:15 AM

7 posts, read 18,098 times
My wife is Viet, born and raised and came here as an adult. Culturally speaking, there is very little here for her to relate to. I'm sure Ga is a great place for some people, however, it's a very conservative place where longstanding social norms are to be adhered to. True southerners are very gracious but do not take to outsiders very well, again just my opinion and experience. It's not "in your face" bias, but rather, opinions formed and conveyed behind closed doors. Our children are still young but are rapidly approaching the age of awareness; our concern is that they will not be able to identify with others regarding culture and ethnicity. As far as housing and business are concerned, we know what to expect. My business is somewhat unique, part of it will remain in place and another part will need to be reestablished. Actually, a close proximity to LA should be a benefit. Looking back, Ga was a decent place to start out, but I can see and feel we have outgrown it. I've noticed that many people want to start their career in SD or California in general; but, in my personal opinion, it seems like a place where you move to after you have some measure of success and something in your pocket.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:27 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,110 times
San Diego in general does tend to be somewhat politically conservative due a great deal to the military presence here, but mixed race couples of all kinds are fairly common and no big deal.

The only thing you really need to make sure of is whether or not you can afford the high cost of living here, especially housing and the California taxes.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:03 PM

384 posts, read 980,844 times
If you want to be close to L.A., how about Carlsbad? It's the last really nice area in the north county along the 5 freeway (that's the freeway you'd take to L.A.). I doubt you'd have any interracial concerns there.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:42 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
Think closer to Newport Beach. Closer to LA multi multi racial. Nice vibe a little densly packed for me.
If you are in San Diego you have 2 hours minimum to get into L.A. most times of the day. The traffic getting past LAX is a horror story anytime. The 405 should be in a Stephen King movie

Old 01-19-2012, 10:19 AM

749 posts, read 1,789,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venice99 View Post

Thanks
Venice; I think I can help you. I was born and raised in Florida. My Dad was in Law Enforcement and moved us to Louisiana when I was in middle school because of the drug situation just started getting bad. I lived in the deep south for many, many years. I moved to California in the 90's. I married my husband (who is Asian). I'm white, Blonde hair (now grey) lol and blue eyes. 4 years ago I talked my husband into transferring some where closer to my family who lives in Louisiana and a son stationed in Texas. The closest place he could transfer to was Nashville, Tn. We moved there December 2007. It was the biggest mistake of our lives.

Now in TN it was "In your face" prejudice with him being Asian and me White. We never had any problems in Louisiana and Texas. Even the times we were in Mississippi. But Tennessee was horrible. So I'm sure your probably going through some of the same thing in Georgia.

We just moved to North San Diego County a month ago. We are loving every second of it. We have not had the first problem with any type of prejudice since being here. And we have been all over and exploring everything. People could care less what color you are. We used to live and work in Laguna Niguel and Riverside with no problems before moving to Tn. I never even worried about it before arriving. And we haven't had the first problem. I actually don't ever expect any problems.

Hope this helps. Send me a PM if you have any more questions or concerns.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:24 AM

90 posts, read 257,993 times
janineg and BlueyedCat are right. North County would be a good fit for you. LA is progressive in terms of accepting multi-racial families, but the go-go flaky lifestyle that I've seen in LA, is not where I would personally prefer to raise my kids. North County is awesome and very family-friendly. There are some Republican voters here, largely due to a military presence and Catholics who are conservative on some social issues. However, I think it's pretty socially liberal and accepting. I see interracial couples and mixed-race kids around here, all the time. I don't really think anything of it, actually, and I don't think most people do. There is a lot of diversity here. I think you'd probably really like Carlsbad.

On the other hand, if being around specifically Asian families, is important to you, the Carmel Valley area (super expensive - not sure what your budget is) has great schools that a lot of Asian families flock to. I get the feeling that that area is less laid-back though, plus it's super pricey, as I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego