Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 10:06 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times

Advertisements

Can anyone see a difference between living in Encinitas Or Cardiff ? I assume I would have to go to Encinitas for big box stores and amenities but what about the vibe. Are the people and vibe the same ?

Also would anyone know if I can catch a bus to either the Solana or Encinitas Coaster Station from Cardiff ?

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 10:28 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Can anyone see a difference between living in Encinitas Or Cardiff ? I assume I would have to go to Encinitas for big box stores and amenities but what about the vibe. Are the people and vibe the same ?

Also would anyone know if I can catch a bus to either the Solana or Encinitas Coaster Station from Cardiff ?

Thanks for the help.
Encinitas is five distinct communities, formed into a city 25 years ago. So Cardiff is Encinitas, but I know what you mean. Each community has it's own personality and vibe, which makes the city pretty cool. Cardiff is beach and particularly surf oriented, but it's also an upscale community with lots of new money moving in. The streets are narrow and steep, no sidewalks on most streets, so it's not favored by young families. When you say Encinitas, I assume you mean New Encinitas along the El Camino Real corridor. It's more suburban, tract housing the big-box stores like Target, etc. There is none of that in Cardiff, so yes, you'd likely be driving a few miles north and east to do a lot of your shopping. There's a very small shopping center in Cardiff.
I assume there are lots of buses that run along the 101 from Cardiff to both Solana Beach and the train station (Amtrak and Coaster). That shouldn't be an issue.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Encinitas is five distinct communities, formed into a city 25 years ago. So Cardiff is Encinitas, but I know what you mean. Each community has it's own personality and vibe, which makes the city pretty cool. Cardiff is beach and particularly surf oriented, but it's also an upscale community with lots of new money moving in. The streets are narrow and steep, no sidewalks on most streets, so it's not favored by young families. When you say Encinitas, I assume you mean New Encinitas along the El Camino Real corridor. It's more suburban, tract housing the big-box stores like Target, etc. There is none of that in Cardiff, so yes, you'd likely be driving a few miles north and east to do a lot of your shopping. There's a very small shopping center in Cardiff.
I assume there are lots of buses that run along the 101 from Cardiff to both Solana Beach and the train station (Amtrak and Coaster). That shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks Encinitan. It seems like the shopping might be a hassle for me in Cardiff and maybe the upscale crowd would not be what I am looking for. I'd like to avoid uptight areas. Otherwise I haven't responded to any rentals in that area and I might be missing out on something...hmmmmm.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:27 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Have you looked in Leucadia? That area of Encinitas might be a better fit.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Have you looked in Leucadia? That area of Encinitas might be a better fit.
YES I have and I agree with you. Unfortunately the property I was going to rent had another occupant living on the premises that they "forgot" to tell me about.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:42 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
What about old encinitas? That might be a good fit too. But I seriously love living in cardiff

Old 10-27-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
What about old encinitas? That might be a good fit too. But I seriously love living in cardiff
How much of a hassle is it for you to go shopping over on El Camino Real ? Will traffic be an issue ? Can you see an advantage to living in Cardiff over Central Encinitas ?

Old 10-27-2014, 10:48 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
How much of a hassle is it for you to go shopping over on El Camino Real ? Will traffic be an issue ? Can you see an advantage to living in Cardiff over Central Encinitas ?
Not much of a hassle.
Cardiff more charming than tract-housing New east Encinitas but how about old west Encinitas, Leucadia which is even better than Cardiff, since Cardiff is quite hilly no sidewalks, though I don't think Leucadia has much of a downtown except a bit on 101 but seems nearer to La Costa which has some new strip malls.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:55 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Cardiff is on the hillside and most homes are larger and denser, more like a del mar vibe but far more unrenovated 1950s houses and some apartments too. It is a bit more of a mix in there and like leucadia in that it is less manicured. It is separated from the more commercialized areas.

Encinitas is on a bluff right on the beach, the neighborhood is flatter and many of the homes are bungalow, some condos, and mix of large and small homes. I feel like Encinitas would have more neighborhood feel, better access to walkable shopping, and is better for kids, but Cardiff has the funkier setting with killer custom view homes and probably better privacy if you are in the right spot.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
but Cardiff has the funkier setting with killer custom view homes and probably better privacy if you are in the right spot.
Maybe more privacy to smoke cigars outside in my backyard ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego