Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 12:49 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,774 times

Advertisements

If you are trying to decide if San Diego has a better nightlife than Miami, well just go to Miami.

If you are trying to decide if New York or San Diego is more culturally mature....head east my friend.

If you are wondering if you will make more money in San Diego than Washington DC. You can probably fly direct into Dulles or Ronald Reagan airport right now.

If you think San Diegans are just waiting for the next transplant to come in and take up space in our restaurants, nightclubs, job pools, museums, concerts, and parks-you may have underestimated our paradise here and willingness to protect it.

I cant speak for anyone else on this forum, just my own opinion. If you are having trouble deciding which city to immigrate to and things like "party destinations" and "cultural events" are your criteria, please come to visit, spend your money, enjoy, and go home at the end of your stay.

Some of the threads that come through here are just ridiculous. San Diego vs New York, San Diego vs DC, San Diego vs Austin....I get it...you have options. But it just seems that the obvious is being asked in most and some seem to be pure fantasy.

OK, let the ripping and bloodletting begin.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 06:27 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Rude, much?

Old 01-29-2012, 06:44 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
If you are trying to decide if San Diego has a better nightlife than Miami, well just go to Miami.

If you are trying to decide if New York or San Diego is more culturally mature....head east my friend.

If you are wondering if you will make more money in San Diego than Washington DC. You can probably fly direct into Dulles or Ronald Reagan airport right now.

If you think San Diegans are just waiting for the next transplant to come in and take up space in our restaurants, nightclubs, job pools, museums, concerts, and parks-you may have underestimated our paradise here and willingness to protect it.

I cant speak for anyone else on this forum, just my own opinion. If you are having trouble deciding which city to immigrate to and things like "party destinations" and "cultural events" are your criteria, please come to visit, spend your money, enjoy, and go home at the end of your stay.

Some of the threads that come through here are just ridiculous. San Diego vs New York, San Diego vs DC, San Diego vs Austin....I get it...you have options. But it just seems that the obvious is being asked in most and some seem to be pure fantasy.

OK, let the ripping and bloodletting begin.....
I couldn't disagree with you more. C-D is set up just for the type of questions and comments you are complaining about.
But you are correct it's your opinion and you're entitled to express it.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:54 PM

686 posts, read 1,138,455 times
Seriously. The last thing San Diego needs is that type of small minded thinking!

Old 01-29-2012, 08:11 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
Quote:
Last time I checked, this was a free country. You, and no other individual owns San Diego. Also, we're all transplants from somewhere. You possess no more of a right to live in San Diego than someone who has never even been there before.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:21 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
I also disagree with this. I think as long as posts are genuine and not totally made up or trolls posting, it's perfectly fine to ask opinions on comparisons for cities. That is the purpose of these boards to get genuine opinions from others.

I'll also say that VERY FEW of the people I've met so far in San Diego were originally born here and lived here all their lives. Almost everyone I've met so far have been transplants from other areas and moved here.

Sometimes some posts can be silly but in most of the cases they seem like genuine people truly reaching out for others opinions so I don't think there is anything wrong with that. JMHO.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:23 PM

396 posts, read 925,883 times
OP...NEWSFLASH.. those kinds of questions are the purpose of this forum.

Let me guess the reason for your animosity: Did a transplanted young New Yorker take your dishwashing job?

Old 01-29-2012, 11:03 PM

150 posts, read 250,944 times
Quote:
Seriously? Do you really think this forum is solely intended for residents to talk about local issues?

If you wanted to travel, or perhaps were weighing a job option in another city, do you not see the value in asking others in-the-know what it is like? And what's wrong with daydreaming? Heck, if it wasn't for daydreaming and doing some research, I know I wouldn't have found this forum, or be living in SD now.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:34 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times
If there weren't questions like those that annoy you, then why would this forum exist?

Also, keep in mind that unless you're one of the Kumeyaay, you came here from somewhere else.

My birth certificate says Scripps Memorial on it. But my parents came here from somewhere else. I sure as hell hope that the people who lived here weren't as dismissive and rude.

And no, you cannot fly directly into National. You can do it if you transfer in Dallas or Chicago, but there are no direct flights.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:37 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,774 times
"Welcome to San Diego, now go home" was a very popular bumper sticker here in the 80s. I believe there was even a billboard with the same sentiment, but was removed as it didn't convey a friendly image of our wonderful city to tourists. During this time there were a lot of ballot measures restricting growth, most specifically in the I-15 corridor moving north past Mira Mesa. So that is the historical context that I am referring to.

I was born and raised in San Diego, Paradise Valley hospital in National City to be exact. By the way, Paradise Valley hospital, not so much a "paradise" anymore. Lived almost all my life in San Diego, except the last four years. I moved around for career advancement and regretted it the whole time. I finally made it back home. The only way I am ever leaving again is in a pine box.

Like I said, all this is just my opinion and I do believe I have the right to express it...but lets get down to the point. Not all San Diegans are hoping for more growth, more migration, more transplants. If you are coming here, I welcome you and can be a very informative poster and have been. I know this town like the back of my hand.

I believe some posts are a thin veiled attempt at an insult to San Diego or at least asking the obvious, such as: Who has a better nightlife, San Diego or Miami? Well of course Miami is known for its nightlife, right. Or who has the better cultural and arts scene NYC or San Diego, well obviously San Diego is not going to compare in that sense to New York.

So in my defense:

SFOSYD: yes this is small thinking of me, and San Diego quite possibly could use some small thinking before the next condo goes up downtown or the next referendum for building on the I5 and I15 corridor. Thinking big has gotten us one hour + commutes and lines to perform just about any function possible(DMV, lunch at Rubios, grocery store etc.)

JHG722: We'll not to offend; but yes I do own San Diego. I am taxpaying resident and land owner in both the city and county. I love this town and take complete pride and ownership.

ODANNYBOI: That was pretty funny, I have no comeback for that.

To wrap it up,
If you are here to compare San Diego to Miami, NYC, DC, and so on, please don't be insulted by my complete lack of interest in coddling and wooing you to our city.

If you are coming to San Diego, Bienvenidos! I welcome you with open arms and have no problem pointing you in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego