Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 6,378 times

Advertisements

Kim, I live in Temecula now but lived in Carlsbad for several years. I too am thinking of leaving and have been looking at Tenn. I am interested in horses but am unsure of decent places to start looking in Tenn. I've been told that SE Tenn. is nice?? Any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 10:48 PM

BNB, I'm with you. Have been in SD for over 20 years and can't wait to retire so I can get out of here. I have been interested in Tenn. but not sure where to look. I would like some property and horses, heard SE Tenn. is nice?? Any help with "small towns, low crime and pretty scenery" I would appreciate.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:54 PM

Terrence, sounds interesting. I want to leave SD soon and am interested in the KY and Tenn. areas. Can you recommend other cities similar to Finchville in Tenn. or Ky that a transplant SOCAL might like.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:01 PM

You forgot about the 4th group, the 45% Hispanic population (1/3 of them illegally in the country) who combine about 5 families in one home and move into your neighborhood.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:22 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,921,563 times
We moved out of San Marcos in the summer of '04 to Monument,CO. It's just north of Colorado Springs and about an hour south of Denver. We've been thru 3 winters and rather enjoyed it. Our daughter really likes her school and everything is taught in English, which makes learning progress much faster than in the San Marcos School District. There are no gangs or even portable classrooms at her school. We bought a 3500 square foot custom house for a little more than half of what we sold our 1300 squre foot tract home for. We still visit the San Diego area because we have older kids still living there, and we really enjoy the nice weather, but really look forward to coming home to CO. I know there are plus's and minus's everywhere you live, but so far we don't have any regrets about our move. I do miss In&Out, though. I see a lot of I&O t-shirts here, but the closest one is in Las Vegas
The snowboarding is definitely better here
Paul

Old 01-20-2007, 10:23 PM

38,881 posts, read 22,864,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
We moved out of San Marcos in the summer of '04 to Monument,CO. It's just north of Colorado Springs and about an hour south of Denver. We've been thru 3 winters and rather enjoyed it. Our daughter really likes her school and everything is taught in English, which makes learning progress much faster than in the San Marcos School District. There are no gangs or even portable classrooms at her school. We bought a 3500 square foot custom house for a little more than half of what we sold our 1300 squre foot tract home for. We still visit the San Diego area because we have older kids still living there, and we really enjoy the nice weather, but really look forward to coming home to CO. I know there are plus's and minus's everywhere you live, but so far we don't have any regrets about our move. I do miss In&Out, though. I see a lot of I&O t-shirts here, but the closest one is in Las Vegas
The snowboarding is definitely better here
Paul
You probably discovered already that there are no Trader Joe's stores in the entire state of Colorado, as well as no In-n-Out restaurants. Hopefully, for the sake of all the transplanted Californians now living in Colorado, that there will be at least one Trader Joe's store planned to open.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:43 AM

We never went to Trader Joe's anyways. We go to Whole Foods store every once in a while in Colorado Springs.
I wish there were some Hawaiian plate lunch resturaunts here. We go to L&L in Auroura(50 miles) sometimes. I heard the owner of that one is opening one in the Springs.
Oh well, for us, the school system was the most important reason to move. Like some other folks have mentioned, we have more disposable income now that we don't have a huge mortgage. I think the pace is slower, especially here in Monument, which I love. For younger people this may not be the right place. I wouldn't recommend that anyone move out of CA, but for us it has been a good thing.
I did hear Paul Harvey say that a survey taken in CA showed 25 percent of residents would consider moving out of CA.
Paul

Old 01-21-2007, 09:50 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,737,271 times
Hello from a Newbie!

What a great forum for people interested in San Diego. As a native, I was surprised to read some of the posts in this thread, especially the comments regarding Hispanics/Spanish. Yes, Mexicans are the largest minority in the county, but since when have they been a majority? Comments like "45% Mexicans" and "English taught in schools" are so false. According to the Census Bureau in 2005, only 29% of SD County is Hispanic (I tried to post the Census Gov link here, but couldn't). I could go on and on about other issues I read here, but I'll spare everyone.

I'm happy for the one's who have moved away for whatever reasons, because one thing that annoys me is when people complain about something and do nothing about it.

And contrary to popular belief, while it is expensive to live here, not all residents here are suffering

Here's a parting shot to those who have left the city. A snapshot taken from Lucinda Street in Point Loma I took on New Year's Day. Don't feel sorry for us, because the 3 million people who still live here are doing just fine

Old 01-21-2007, 11:02 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,100,711 times
Beautiful Picture! Who ever lives in that mustard colored house is very lucky! What a View! This picture makes me rethink the OC and also look into the San Diego area. That house is exactly what we are looking for. Point Loma huh? We got to look into that. Thanks for posting this.

Last edited by Roma; 01-21-2007 at 11:19 AM..

Old 01-21-2007, 11:40 AM

That is a great view. If I had that view, I probably would've stayed too. We could no way afford to live in Pt Loma though. This is our view off our deck now. We see deer, elk, fox, and cows, but alas no boats Just a different point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego