Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 11:19 AM

63 posts, read 124,052 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'd like to get some information on Escondido. Is Escondido generally a younger or older population? Is is possible to commute from Escondido to San Diego, and would it be a long/rough commute? Are there good outdoor recreational activities nearby? Last but not least, are rents very high (in comparison to the large cities around it) in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 12:05 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
I'm guessing (don't know for certain) that Escondido has an older population. I certainly wouldn't recommend a 20-something to live there. The commute from Escondido is tough, unless you go in during off-rush hours. There are lots of outdoor recreational activities nearby, and this is true in general of most of San Diego. Escondido has some better areas and some rougher areas, so if you find low rent in Escondido be sure to ask in this forum or elsewhere about the specific neighborhood.

Personally, I like Escondido with all its "flaws". I'm a bit put off that the powers-that-be would like to gentrify it. I think it'll lose a lot of its charm and character if that happens. It'll be just another RB, which is OK but boring.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 10,283 times
My girlfriend and I just moved to Escondido after grwoing up on the north county coastline(Encinitas, La Costa). I'm in my early 30's and she's in her late 20's. After spending some time looking for an affordable house to rent we decided Escondido was the best choice. We have a little mid century house in the old historic neighborhood. I work in San Diego and commute everyday around noon. Traffic isn't an issue but with gas prices the way they are it's a little rough. Although the gas prices are around $.30 cheaper than anywhere else I've seen in SD county. While looking for a house we made sure to stay away from the Midway area. Seems that that's the most concentrated area of gang and drug activity. Oddstray I think Escondido could use a little more gentrification. I grew up in North Park. 20 years ago it wasn't really a place people thought to visit or live if they didn't have to. Today it's a vibrant young community full of great restaurants, bars, art galleries. Grand Ave could use a little more of that.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:44 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
I agree with both posters above. However, I think that GOOD planning, by incorporating new and old can be done well if you have good leaders that think long and hard about creating a vision for their respective city. I have not been to downtown Esco in quite some time, but found it quite charming and very much in line with being a 'walkable' area with lots of potential.
For a people in their 20s? Man, I would be bored to tears based on what I have seen without really being near any central urban area.

I presume that some parts of Esco will have cheaper rents than others.

One regular poster here Jenkay had mentioned she does the reverse commute from SD>Esco. I am certain she would have some better input regarding that aspect.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:34 AM

788 posts, read 1,877,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ125 View Post
Hi, I'd like to get some information on Escondido. Is Escondido generally a younger or older population? Is is possible to commute from Escondido to San Diego, and would it be a long/rough commute? Are there good outdoor recreational activities nearby? Last but not least, are rents very high (in comparison to the large cities around it) in the area?
IMHO, Escondido is the pit of North County. It has the (overall) worst schools in North county, the highest crime, and is not well maintained. Of course, this is a huge generalization of a city with over 140,000 people. There are beautiful neighborhoods (with good schools and little crime) scattered in the hills towards the Northern, Eastern, and Southern parts of the city. You just have to be careful about which area you choose because it is a city of huge contrasts.

Escondido is 50% bad and 50% nice . The worst neighborhoods are in the center of the valley around downtown. Since Escondido has a very large hispanic population (relative to North County), the population is younger than nearby communities. The commute is 45 minutes without any traffic, so I think it is fair to call it a rough commute.

Escondido probably has the lowest rents in North County because it is far inland and is less desirable.

Escondido does have some great recreation, however. Fishing, horseback riding, hiking, roller hockey, etc. Pretty much everything you can think of. Just remember that Escondido is further inland and can get pretty hot in the summer. Probably 5-10 days pushing 100 in the summer (this is pretty warm to me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego