Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:56 PM

130 posts, read 524,648 times

Advertisements

how about.....drive up the california coast and check out some of the small towns north of santa barbara? housing is cheap, no traffic, "about" the same weather, worth a weekend trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 07:43 AM

5 posts, read 27,187 times
Default Don't leave San Diego for a house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Hi all,

I love it here in San Diego and have lived here for a few years but the problem is that I cannot afford to buy a decent home here. Anyways I am looking into a city that has similar qualities but affordable home prices. Would a place like Tampa or Miami be a good place to live and buy?
Oh my gosh! Don't make the mistake I did!! I sold my condo in the San Diego area and bought a four bedroom three bath home on just under an acre in the Savannah area. I love the heat of the summer here and my house is great. But, it's not San Diego and no where is like San Diego. I've been to 46 out of 50 states and lived in four different states. Stay where you are!

Downtown Savannah is so beautiful and I'm fortunate enough to have a fantastic position downtown, but I don't live downtown. Even if I did, it's too small, too racist, too quiet, etc...

Old 01-14-2008, 09:57 PM

373 posts, read 1,170,982 times
Default Check out Tucson

Tucson is a tad warmer and cooler than SD with temps ranging from 32 - 105ish. It has areas of liberalness, esp the areas around the Uni. The cost of real estate is low compared to SD, but it has risen quite a bit during the past 5 years. Although Az is a conservative/liberal state, I would characterize Tucson as more moderate overall. The main things I dislike about Tucson are the crime rate and ugly architecture. While in the SW, you might want to also check out Flagstaff and Albuquerque, NM.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:01 PM

48,136 posts, read 22,007,656 times
San Diego's weather is unique in this country. You would have to go to the Mediteranean or to South Africa or parts of Australia to find any place like it. The combination of sea side and desert is truly unique.
That said I can't wait to sell my house and move back east.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 9,302 times
Look into Lake Nona area, in Orlando Florida, it seems to be a growing community. Im thinking of doing the same thing. Although, I love San Diego and been here for 21 yrs, I am hoping I can deal with the humidity in trying Florida..

Old 01-15-2008, 08:15 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
San Diego's weather is unique in this country. You would have to go to the Mediteranean or to South Africa or parts of Australia to find any place like it. The combination of sea side and desert is truly unique.
That said I can't wait to sell my house and move back east.
Agreed. And that is a big part of the reason why it is so expensive. I think San Diego would have been a great place to settle permanently 10 years ago when homes were expensive, but only a mere 30% more than the median home price in the U.S. Nowadays, it is closer to 300% more than the median home price in the U.S. I lived in SD for a couple of years and loved it. But home prices drove me out.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:42 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleword View Post
how about.....drive up the california coast and check out some of the small towns north of santa barbara? housing is cheap, no traffic, "about" the same weather, worth a weekend trip?
CAN YOU NAME the towns, please? Because Santa Barbara, Montecito, Carpinteria, etc., are very expensive.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:17 PM

5 posts, read 16,054 times
Any town in Florida that is not ridiculously hot and humid is far away from the beach and usually are very small towns.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:07 PM

140 posts, read 429,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvrofcarbs View Post
Look into Lake Nona area, in Orlando Florida, it seems to be a growing community. Im thinking of doing the same thing. Although, I love San Diego and been here for 21 yrs, I am hoping I can deal with the humidity in trying Florida..
I lived in Orlando for 8 years and if you don't like humidity, I wouldn't suggest it. The heat index is typically over 110 throughout August. The beaches are at least an hour drive with no traffic. Orlando just sucks for many reasons that would take to long to list. And for you LVR, Lake Nona is very suburban and far from downtown or anything fun in Orlando. Even the suburbs in San Diego are more liveable than Lake Nona IMHO.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:33 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Never having been, but taking a stab at a possibility or two: Wilmington, NC or Savannah, GA. Can anyone comment on these?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego