Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 07:10 AM

2 posts, read 9,598 times

Advertisements

Hello
I am moving from Virginia to USMC Miramar Base and have no clue as to where to live. A safe neighborhood with a good elementary and middle school is a must. We have lived near the ocean most of our military career but this is not a must. But we do want to live near the base. We will try for base housing but that can take a long time. Why the government does not build enough housing for the number of assigned personnel for a base is a great mystery. Seems like that would be easy to figure out based on rank, etc. My wife is a major so we qualify for field grade housing, if anyone has any inside info on how to obtain field grade housing, that would be very helpful. And any info on what neighborhoods we should be looking at renting a house around the base (in case we don't get on base housing) would be very helpful.
We rate about $2500 for rent which sounds like a lot but not in CA. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
We are currently living in an unsafe part of Charlottesville, Virginia due to the misdirection of a real estate agent we hired so if anyone needs info on Charlottesville Virginia, or Oahu Hawaii, or Okinawa Japan, or Pensacola Florida, send your questions my way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 10:10 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,440 times
My suggestion would be Tierrasanta and Scripps Ranch. Both communities have all of your requirements, they're close to Miramar, the housing stock is excellent, varied and safe; the schools are very good and you'll find other military families in the area.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:07 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
My suggestion would be Tierrasanta and Scripps Ranch. Both communities have all of your requirements, they're close to Miramar, the housing stock is excellent, varied and safe; the schools are very good and you'll find other military families in the area.
I'll second this. I lived in Tierrasanta from 1988 to 1992 (approximately). It's a nice community.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 4,780 times
You should be fine in Murphy Canyon (military housing) they have a hot sheet and you can pick off the list and be in within a month tops.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:32 PM

70 posts, read 233,962 times
You might already know about this site, but just in case you don't, a lot of local military families use it for finding rentals AHRN - The Automated Housing Referral Network

Old 05-13-2012, 02:41 PM

2 posts, read 9,598 times
Default Military housing on USMC Miramar

My rank is O4 and we have been told it can take up to a year to get onto base housing.
Any suggestions?
Scripps Ranch is a nice area but the housing near base is very expensive compared to areas further from base.
My BAH is only $2600 and with three kids, we need at least a 3 bedroom house with a yard, good school and safe neighborhood.

What about Escondido?

Old 05-13-2012, 03:43 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Have you checked the Lincoln Military Housing website? They'll have a list of what's available now, coming up, and which complexes are for particular ranks. Lincoln Military Housing.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:26 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1002 View Post
My rank is O4 and we have been told it can take up to a year to get onto base housing.
Any suggestions?
Scripps Ranch is a nice area but the housing near base is very expensive compared to areas further from base.
My BAH is only $2600 and with three kids, we need at least a 3 bedroom house with a yard, good school and safe neighborhood.

What about Escondido?
Okay, Let us repeat this, Tierrasanta, Scripps Ranch, Rancho Penasquitos are all great options with great schools. SDBeachbum gave you an excellent resource, AHRN - Automated Housing Referral Network, which caters to active and retired Military and lists homes based on your BAH. I strongly recommend this site, it's what I'm currently using in my search.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:48 AM

601 posts, read 1,451,595 times
To be close to the base within the $2500 range you're asking, Mira Mesa or University City sounds like a no-brainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego