Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:09 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JenLei~ View Post
Aw thank you!! Actually... I work the stroke/neuro unit at Grossmont so it is quite possible our paths have crossed! I do night shifts. I have to say, I love my job and my coworkers make a great team. There are definitely times when it can be really difficult especially if you have complicated patients or demanding families, but there are a lot of aspects of our job that make everything worth it..watching patients get better, families who understand and appreciate what we do, and lots of other things. I hope your grandmother is doing better
JenLei what a trip! We probably have met before My grandmother is doing very well thank you for asking, there were some close calls as recently as last year where she was rushed to the ER due to her having TIA's. She would go blank and start shaking, while becoming unresponsive, it was scary!, but then she would come out of it and be fine an hour later. The neurologist finally diagnosed her with seizures and put her on meds for it, so far she hasn't had another episode, thank god.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:49 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
But also many people that are broke, pick up cheaply used BMW, Mercedes, Audi's and what have you, to look like they are well off and doing well, and you know what, 99% of the time that method works!
The smartest way to purchase any car, but especially luxury vehicles, is to get them when they come off a three year lease.

Typically, in the first three years of ownership, you lose around 35-40 percent of the value of the vehicle.

Let someone else eat that depreciation, buy a three year old used car, and drive it for the next ten years. Who wins? You do.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:02 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times

Old 05-21-2012, 03:13 PM

64 posts, read 117,661 times
sdlife619 - Glad to hear she is doing well! I hope not to see her this year on our unit

tonyinsd - So true! My brother totaled one of our cars and so we will be shopping for a new car this summer. A "new" used car, that is!

Toooo funny GMUAlum08!! So true.. I see lots of flashy cars around here, and even know a friend's sister was driving a BMW until it got repo'd bc she obviously could not afford it. Why does everyone want to drive a stinkin Bimmer around here??? To go with their Gucci and LV purse obviously.. But I would rather drive a Toyota that'll last me forever and cost me less.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:25 PM

GMUAlum08 haha, so true, you see this kind of stuff everywhere in SD. It's interesting that in other states, especially Mid Western states, you hardly see foreign cars, especially luxury imports. It's either just trucks, or older, larger American cars from the 80's and 90's.

California on the other hand, it's like if your not seeing in a brand new Beemer, Jag, a Benz, and now Audi's, you are somehow not rich, and the hot chicks will bypass your front in a old Cadillac.

I will tell you guys what, in El Cajon you see a lot of that happening. People live in section 8 housing, yet are driving fairly new luxury imports. The Chaldean's are famous for pulling off the whole "I'm rich" effect in apartment city. The only way I see them doing it, is a majority of them are on welfare, or some gov assistance, and also work for cash, say at their uncle's liquor store, or running a side business using another persons name, and Bam Double Pay Day! Ripping off the state and fed.

Hey ~Jen~, I hope she doesn't return either. She hates hospital's now, and I can't blame her, all the poking and sticking was getting too much for her.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
GMUAlum08 haha, so true, you see this kind of stuff everywhere in SD. It's interesting that in other states, especially Mid Western states, you hardly see foreign cars, especially luxury imports. It's either just trucks, or older, larger American cars from the 80's and 90's.
Nah, nobody drives around BMWs, Mercedes, or Lexuses in Chicago. They're all beat up old trucks that are 15 years old.

For real, dude? For real? You need to get out more.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Nah, nobody drives around BMWs, Mercedes, or Lexuses in Chicago. They're all beat up old trucks that are 15 years old.

For real, dude? For real? You need to get out more.
Well definitely in places like Oklahoma city, Springfield MO. I should say more of the smaller cities that are less progressive in the Mid West.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Well definitely in places like Oklahoma city, Springfield MO. I should say more of the smaller cities that are less progressive in the Mid West.
The appropriate comparison for those cities would be places like Bakersfield or Sacramento. Large metro areas can't be compared to small cities.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
"If you buy things you don't need, you will soon sell things you need."

Warren Buffett said that, and he's a billionaire. It's all about priorities.

I know a lot of people who complain about how broke they are but then they go and drop $15 for lunch, and hit Starbucks for coffee and a snack, which runs them another $5.

Bring your lunch to work and a thermal mug of coffee and that $20 you're spending every day adds up. That's $100 a week, or five grand over the course of a work year.
I average 20 bucks a month. Seriously. I brown bag it and we don't eat out but once a month. I'm too busy to spend lots of $. I work with some woman who eats out 3 meals a day and is always broke, always.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:15 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
5k/yr is not going to matter in terms of lifestyle in a city where most people spend 50%+ of their income to rent.

If you move to an expensive city, you're just going to have to pay the price to live there. That or live like a miser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego