Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 02:09 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuhagiar View Post
We just relocated from Sonora to Escondido. We fell in love with Sonora many moons ago but the bloom has been off the rose for a few years now. As we got older we realized we could no longer tolerate the dearth of good medical services. Plus, sadly the Covid epidemic brought out the worst in some of the locals. The homeless problem is getting exponentially worse there than in many other adjacent communities, mainly because local officials refuse to do anything about it. Many large stores have pulled out of the area, and the last remaining department store (Kohl's) may close soon if their corporate takeover is approved. Sonora is still beautiful, and we still enjoy our visits there, but we are much happier living in rural Escondido, where we still have the country living but are much closer to amenities and family.
I grew up in Sonora in the ‘70’s, before there was such a thing as East Sonora or even more than one signal light in the county. The large house I grew up in has been a popular B&B for years and my brothers still live in Jamestown and Murphys. I agree with you that it still is a beautiful little town and also becoming increasingly overrun with backpack wearing (for all the things they steal) druggie vagabonds as much of rural Northern California has become. The By-Pass and development of East Sonora make it very much a place I barely recognize or care to discover so my very fond memories of it being a very much settled and welcoming town is enough for me - you can never go back home again.

Escondido has plenty of the rural nature to take in and hopefully it sounds like you’ve settled in just fine and the easy access to the small mountain towns here can bring back some of that “gold rush towns in the foothills” qualities that the Gold Country up north has in spades. Glad it sounds like you’ve found a good place here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 09:25 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflag71 View Post
Business name?
Julian Pie Co.

https://www.julianpie.com/

Old 05-05-2022, 10:13 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuhagiar View Post
We just relocated from Sonora to Escondido. We fell in love with Sonora many moons ago but the bloom has been off the rose for a few years now. As we got older we realized we could no longer tolerate the dearth of good medical services. Plus, sadly the Covid epidemic brought out the worst in some of the locals. The homeless problem is getting exponentially worse there than in many other adjacent communities, mainly because local officials refuse to do anything about it. Many large stores have pulled out of the area, and the last remaining department store (Kohl's) may close soon if their corporate takeover is approved. Sonora is still beautiful, and we still enjoy our visits there, but we are much happier living in rural Escondido, where we still have the country living but are much closer to amenities and family.

So sad to hear about the Sonora decline. We used to go up to the Mother Lode Country on a regular basis in the 1990s, and it's been one of our favorite places in CA, especially Jamestown. I guess we should be prepared for changes if we go back.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:26 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
There’s almost no where to park and you have to pay to use a bathroom.

Old 05-08-2022, 05:01 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
There’s almost no where to park and you have to pay to use a bathroom.
I drive a lifted 4 x 4 F-350. Even on a good day it ain't happenin. I usually buy something from the feed store and ask if I can park there for an hour.

Old 05-08-2022, 07:01 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
There is a great restaurant in Julian called The Rongbanch.

Old 05-08-2022, 09:35 PM

RongbRanch saloon is what you're thinking of.

Old 05-10-2022, 09:39 AM

On the way up the hill to Julian, you’ll pass Wynola. (Unless you come up from the desert side.)
Situated, in Wynola, is “Heroes Pizza and grub.”
Here’s their “Hawaiian & artichoke dip deal.”
Attached Thumbnails
thoughts on julian ca?-be2457bf-3ca4-4e32-a638-bd28af25e688.jpeg  

Old 05-10-2022, 09:40 AM

Here’s the place…
Attached Thumbnails
thoughts on julian ca?-fe8a46ba-f0fb-4723-b547-67b5876c1a56.jpeg  

Old 05-10-2022, 12:55 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Never really understood the appeal of Julian. It's like a 1 day a year place. There is some ok hiking and some good MTB around there if that floats yer boat. No skiing, climbing or real mountain stuff to do. Some fishing but not a destination. I guess if you really want to look at trees and go for easy hikes. ORV or moto stuff I guess. if you were a rancher on the other hand... Just seems like you are constantly going to have to go back into San Diego for a lot of stuff. Better like going to Ramona. Borrego Springs has much more adventure nearby but also not a place I'd want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego