Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 04:20 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Oh let the dis-information machine hit full stride. I haven't heard a completely honest prop ad yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 11:47 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Oh let the dis-information machine hit full stride. I haven't heard a completely honest prop ad yet.
Of course you haven't. They're going to pander to your fears and emotions. On the tobacco tax, the Philip Morris people say it's all going to go outside of the state, neglecting the fact that we've got some world class institutions right here that would be great at doing the medical research the tax would fund. And of course, those advocating for it act as if it's a panacea that would stop people from smoking.

Then we have Prop B. There's a little fear mongering among the gay community, and while they have legitimate concerns with regard to social security, it's likely at some point the federal government will allow benefits for domestic partners. And of course, the advocates for it talk about how it will save us billions, but that assumes that negotiations with pissed off unions will result in savings. The only sure thing is that it will cost us money in the short term.

When you take a look at the analysis from neutral parties, it looks a whole lot different than what the advocates for either side are selling.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:32 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Gays will steal your women and blacks will corrupt your children. Oh. hold on. Is the other way around? I can't see a thing since Mama put the warsher on the front porch.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:18 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
... When you take a look at the analysis from neutral parties, it looks a whole lot different than what the advocates for either side are selling.
I'm not sure there are any neutral parties. I read the analyses, then look to see who wrote them. I consider their agenda before I decide to believe (or not) what they say.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:44 AM

148 posts, read 279,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
why would I need someone (or some ad) to tell me how I vote?

Old 05-31-2012, 10:55 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I'm not sure there are any neutral parties. I read the analyses, then look to see who wrote them. I consider their agenda before I decide to believe (or not) what they say.
Exactly. When you see these guerilla tactics for signatures (at x supermarket or x strip mall) to get measurements on the ballot, its always wise to find out who is trying to push for the ballot initiative.

When I first moved here, I thought " wow people are really into getting the word out" because I would never see it anywhere outside of CA. But when I learned a bit more where the monies were coming from, it just made me a look a it harder at who and why they are trying to get their measurements on the ballot.

As far as the neutrality, it takes some homework to read what actions will take place if voted for/against. They do get top marks for clever wording and media ads though.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 AM

Wow, what a low turnout. So far I'm pleased with what passed/didn't pass.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:59 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Prop 29, the $1 per pack cigarette tax, is trailing by almost 37,000 votes with all precincts now counted.

Capitol Alert: Tobacco tax initiative close but still trailing

Old 06-06-2012, 08:28 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,485 times
I don't like Carl Demaio. My two choices are Fletcher and Filner for mayor. Demaio only runs on pension reform. I care about many other things than that. There's just something fishy about him and it really says something when the city council members don't even like him.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
I don't like Carl Demaio. My two choices are Fletcher and Filner for mayor. Demaio only runs on pension reform. I care about many other things than that. There's just something fishy about him and it really says something when the city council members don't even like him.
The City Council members aren't supposed to get along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego