Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 01:14 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Not comparable. The east coast has decent public transportation, so a trip from Connecticut or New Jersey to NYC isn't that big a deal.

I totally agree. There is a HUGE difference between taking the train in to NYC everyday where you can make productive use of your time working from your laptop, phone, read the paper, etc. vs. driving down I-15.

I have family that take the train from CT to NYC and I do the same when I'm up there visiting.

I wouldn't wait to be spending time in my car actually driving whether I was in CT/NYC/NJ OR San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 01:23 PM

601 posts, read 1,451,774 times
2.5 hours in a train has nothing on 2.5 hours in traffic. You can nap in a train, you grow old in traffic.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:44 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Not comparable. The east coast has decent public transportation, so a trip from Connecticut or New Jersey to NYC isn't that big a deal.
Your Right!
Public transportation is not comparable.
Public transportation in San Diego sucks.
The housing problem we have here is comparable very comparable to NYC.
Why live in long Island with a high cost of living when you can just move to Connecticut for a little cheaper better schools better living?
Why live in Carlsbad/Poway with a high cost of living when you can live in Temecula,for way cheaper,better schools Same Quality of life?
Oh not to mention the same Sq ft. homes you would find in Carlsbad for on average 400k less in Temecula.

Traffic and parking in NYC is way,way worse than San Diego will ever be.
Going from Jersey city to Brooklyn is only about a 20 mile drive,but would be about 1 1/2 hours during rush hour.
Going from Temecula to mission valley is about 60 miles and at worst 1:20 mins in rush hour traffic.
So I stand by my statement that "People in So Cal are lazy"

Last edited by hitman619; 08-21-2012 at 01:53 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 02:19 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
... Traffic and parking in NYC is way,way worse than San Diego will ever be.
Going from Jersey city to Brooklyn is only about a 20 mile drive,but would be about 1 1/2 hours during rush hour.
Going from Temecula to mission valley is about 60 miles and at worst 1:20 mins in rush hour traffic.
So I stand by my statement that "People in So Cal are lazy"

How does "traffic and parking in NYC is way, way worse than San Diego" lead to "people in So Cal are lazy"? You're not making sense ...

Old 08-21-2012, 05:01 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:

How does "traffic and parking in NYC is way, way worse than San Diego" lead to "people in So Cal are lazy"? You're not making sense ...
Most of the thread ive seen on Temecula(including this one) always have locals crying about the commute from Temecula to san diego.
In other parts of the country and world that same commute is day to day life.
People seems to want it both ways in San Diego cheap affordable houses,short drive to work,near all,low taxes ect...

Old 08-21-2012, 06:06 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Most of the thread ive seen on Temecula(including this one) always have locals crying about the commute from Temecula to san diego.
In other parts of the country and world that same commute is day to day life.
People seems to want it both ways in San Diego cheap affordable houses,short drive to work,near all,low taxes ect...
So we shouldn't consider a long commute when we decide where to live? The fact that drivers in NYC and LA and Chicago have long commutes means that we should accept long commutes?

I don't think so!

People everywhere want what they value. People coming to San Diego are no different from people moving to anywhere else.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:30 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
Quote:
Boy people in So.Cal are lazy!
I have 2 family members and numinous friends that commute from Connecticut to NYC everyday.
NYC is very expensive,so for a better cheaper quality a life people tend to look at New Jersey and Connecticut for places to live.
I said the same thing about people who commuted from Fredericksburg to DC or from West Virginia to Rockville.

Sure, you get a bigger yard, but what the hell is the point of that if you don't get to enjoy it?

Old 08-21-2012, 09:04 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
And when it's all under the pretense that it's "for the children" I roll my eyes. Assuming an equally enriching school district could be found closer to the parents work ( and I am sure there is one), kids value face time with their parents. And not just because they like their company, but it is critical in their emotional and intellectual growth. They will appreciate a small home and little or no yard with mom and dad home early over a big hot yard full of fertilizer and parents home at 7.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:09 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
You got it Clevelandgal. Try a closer small yard and go to the neighborhood park.

Geez, I live close and all that, but get home 7-8p often. It is just reality I guess, but I treasure weekends.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:32 PM

7 posts, read 10,037 times
HECK NO! Def not worth the commute. I've known several who have made this commute and it gets old quick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego