Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 08:17 PM

19 posts, read 57,786 times

Advertisements

Hello all!!!

My family and I will be relocating to the San Diego area this summer from Michigan and after much research we have decided between Poway and Carlsbad. We have found apartments in both areas that fit our budget and from I've read both cities have great schools. What are the pros and cons to living in both cities? Why would I choose one over the other? Is it genearally cooler temps in Carlsbad, does Poway have more a country feel? Thanks in advance,any and all info is greatly appreciated!

skoonz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 08:21 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Poway is hotter than Carlsbad, since it's inland. Poway bills itself as "the city in the country" and they cherish their country past.

I can't compare Carlsbad to Poway since I haven't lived in Carlsbad nor spent much time there.

Where will you be working? Minimizing your commute may turn out to be your decision-maker.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:25 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
Always live closer to the coast.

If you live inland, you are giving up the things that people think of when you say San Diego. What's the point of that?

Old 06-17-2012, 09:28 PM

19 posts, read 88,199 times
Both areas are nice and I think are the best affordable places to live in North County. This probably doesn't help your decision though. Sorry!

It's probably obvious, but Carlsbad is more of a small beach town, while Poway is more of a suburban/country area. I live in Carlsbad now, which has a lot of pros. But there are a couple of things that annoy me. So occasionally I consider moving more inland, like to Poway.

First, the weather isn't always that great in Carlsbad. There's some kind of marine effect on the coast, and many days start off gray and overcast until about noon. Sometimes it's all day. It seems unfair, because just a couple miles inland you get the beautiful, blue sunny skies people think of when it comes to San Diego. So yeah, a lot of days I wish I lived a little more inland.

Second, the commute from Carlsbad to points south can be excruciating! Seriously consider where you're working versus where you're living. I work down in UTC, and it'll often take an hour during rush hour. Sometimes I arrive at home with tears in my eyes. No joke.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:02 AM

Thank you so much for the info, more is appreciated!!!

skoonz

Old 06-18-2012, 08:47 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Since you are renting, I would try Carlsbad first but keep an eye on Poway or at least spend some time scoping out areas in that school district. In my experience helping a family member move out here, he had absolutely no idea there were so many other cities/neighborhoods (feels) in the County. In other words what he 'thought' he wanted before coming here, changed when he spent time researching and checking out different areas.

In Carlsbad, you may/may not appreciate the marine layer at your door step vs mostly sunny all year and 2-3 months of day time heat in Poway. Buying a house out here at some point, if its for your, can change things as well.

Poway tends to have more of a rural feel and Carlsbad more tract communities east of the 5 and "beachy" west of the 5.

I dont know anything about schools specifically but from what I hear both cities have very good systems.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:20 PM

Thank you very much for the info!!!

skoonz

Old 06-22-2012, 09:03 PM

140 posts, read 488,819 times
Hey Skoonz,

Welcome to San Diego area. *There is a large contingent of midwesterners out here. I got about 3-4 neighbors from Michigan. * I spent alot of time in the UP, Ann Arbor, eastern Lake Michigan shore while I lived in Chicago area a few years back.

I reloed out here a few years back from back after a good stint in Chicago area, and also lived in major cities DC, *and B-more. * I rented for a couple years in Carlsbad waiting for the housing bubble to deflate, then bought a house in south carlsbad. * It was a bit easier as my kids were preschool while I rented.

I would encourage you to look at Carlsbad and Encinitas areas. *North county San Diego and particularly Encinitas/Carlsbad are great places to live and raise kids.*

I hear Poway and especially the schools are great, *I'm just not familiar enough to comment on it.*

Carlsbad and Encinitas are well run, financially stable cities, strong civic activities, close beaches, legoland, 101, cool beachy downtown Encinitas and Carlsbad. I have steady stream of visitor year round from back east. *Both have quintessential small beach downtowns with some good restaurants and shops

Overall heating and AC cost are low along the coast. *AC runs a week or two a year, you get Marine layer within a couple miles of coast. * There is phenomenon call May-Gray and June Gloom, *never heard of it until I moved out here. *

Can't go wrong with Carlsbad or San Dieguito School districts. There is math/science STEM focus HS being built now in Carlsbad, sounds like it will be like an academy type like in Encinitas. I'm steering my kids in math/science direction. Seems like the only jobs really available now are for strong math/science/engineering majors. It is true now and also when I graduated from undergrad, grad schools during previous recessions (1992, 2001). It will be probably true in 10 years.*

Where you work should be factor in your decision. * Commute to Downtown San Diego from Carlsbad can have bad traffic some days, the Coaster train is awesome alternative. *I got a couple neighbors that do the coaster commute.....they rave about it. * It goes along the beach for stretches, you can watch the sunset, work on your work email, watch the surfers or surf the net, etc. Trains look very new.

Best advice is take an extended trip out here, do alot of research, don't jump in cold to an unknown area. Make a vacation out of it. Take the family to legoland, seaworld, birch acquarium. Drive up the 101 from La Jolla to Carlsbad, have a fish taco or two, go tidal pooling at La Jolla, take a surf lesson, go to San Diego Botanical children's garden, watch the paragliders jump off the cliff at Torrey Pines glider, go whale watching, Hotel Del coronado, Silver Strand, Torrey Pines, etc...etc.

Good plan to rent before buying out here. *It is tough jumping in cold to brand new area. *I would suggest renting for short term say 6 months or month to month. *You can take time to figure out exactly where you want to live. *

Good Luck

Old 06-22-2012, 10:44 PM

140 posts, read 488,819 times
Not sure how I got all the *s

Old 06-22-2012, 11:53 PM

44 posts, read 65,264 times
Poway is a bit more centrally located. But it's definitely hotter and of course more inland. I would choose Carlsbad for sure since it's cooler and much closer to the coast. It's a cool town too. But as it's been said, where are you working? Commuting to/fro C-bad if you work say way south down the 5, could be a pretty trafficky commute. Both areas are fine though. Edge to C-bad definitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego