Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 09:50 AM

5 posts, read 14,092 times

Advertisements

Hey there everyone. My name is Chris and I'm a native Bostonian currently living in Brookline with my boyfriend. I have a question regarding the cost of living in SD, in particular the Hillcrest/UCSD Med center area. My boyfriend is finishing up his PhD in Clinical Psychology (focus in Neuropsycology) and will be heading into a post doctoral fellowship (2 year program) starting in the late summer/fall of 2013. There are many great programs in San Diego and he has already established many connections, so it looks like there's a distinct possibility that we'll be heading over for those 2 years (possibly more if that's where he gets a faculty position).

My only concern is that I have no idea how long it will take me to find a job in the San Diego market. I'm currently employeed with a job that deals with claims repricing and will have my BS in IT halfway through my boyfriend's postdoc (we'll have been in SD for a year by then). I would feel a lot better about the prospects of living in SD if I knew that not having a job for the first 8 months would not be completely catastrophic. My boyfriend will be making approximately 45K a year and we aren't big spenders aside from going out to eat 2 or 3 times a week. We never drink or go to clubs or anything along those lines. Would 45k be doable for a pet friendly (english bulldog) one bed in the Hillcrest area for a mid to late 20s couple?

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 01:09 PM

Just wanted to clarify that I will be searching for a job and if I'm able to land one I won't be considered about the money situation at all. The question is just more about whether or not my boyfriend's 45k year would be enough for the two of us to live on if it takes me several months to land a new job.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:30 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,445 times
It would be as long as you don't have a bunch of debt or spend a lot of money.One person could say you would be living on the streets for 45,000-for example, these people have high car payments, debts, get $100 hair cuts and so on. Another may raise a family on $45,000 and not be paupers, just frugal-used payed for car or public transportation, $12 haircuts. In order to answer this for your situation, you will need to do a budget and see what your expenses are. Unless it is fast food, I am having a hard time imagining you would be able to eat out 2-3 times a week if you have any other expenses other than rent and utilities...

One thing I will commend you for is planning to live off your BF's income for a long time. Too many people make assumptions about how soon they will get a job and how much it will pay based on their current situation... added to this, a healthy dose of wishful thinking.... and from what I can see from reading these boards, full on delusion in many cases.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:01 PM

Thanks, clevelandgal! We won't have any extra payments until after I finish my bachelors in IT (this won't be until we've already been there for a year+). Our car is completely paid off and my boyfriend has no debt because his PhD was completely funded.

The rent is much cheaper from Brookline rent from what I see on craigslist and such (we pay 2,000 a month for a one bedroom with parking) so I know our expenses will decrease. I just don't wanna put any horses before any carts just in case!

Old 06-19-2012, 03:14 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,445 times
good job on keeping debt down. So many people end up getting held back because of it. You are really not going to have sticker shock compared to where you are (I love Brookline by the way), and you will be fine with one car here, esp if you live in Hillcrest and your BF is working at the med center. Hillcrest is very walk able-and a good choice to live under your circumstances.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:10 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,862 times
You'll be fine. Your utility bills will go down, and the rent may actually be a little less than in Boston. You may have to watch your spending, but since you don't go out a lot you should be okay.

If you liked to eat out every night and run up $100 bar tabs, then you'd have a problem. Well, if you want to do that, you'd have a hard time making ends meet on $100K, much less $45K. But if you watch your expenses, you'll be fine.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:51 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times
As long as you stay within your means you can do fine on $45k.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:41 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
It's fine, especially considering that you have another potential source of income sooner or later. Hillcrest is beautiful and not very expensive. The beach is free. The mountains are free. Mexican food is very good and very cheap in SD. You WILL need a car.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:32 PM

8 posts, read 31,592 times
I think that is too little of money for the area you mention, Hillcrest and Mission Hills are nice areas- very gay friendly. You might have to settle for the North Park area for cheaper rent to be able to eat out 2-3 times per week. Check craigslist to see what you are looking at...you will definitely get more bang for your book in the North Park area which is not too far from UCSD...5 minute drive with lights.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:23 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
I'd say, yes. Your income will go up over time and you can find some real (relative) bargains in housing right now. No, you won't have the beach front mason people dream about when you say "San Diego" but you will be able to find a nice middle class area to raise your children, enjoy a good quality of life, live with some amazing weather, and probably be happy. I would recommend that both of you work as that would greatly improve your take home pay but if you both apply yourselves then you'll do fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego