Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 06:22 PM

61 posts, read 140,266 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help. I am a professional in the healthcare career and used to make almost $70,000 in WA state and lived well. I now am living in Tijuana, MX with my partner and due to many poor job decisions and losing jobs, I am unemployed. I have lost jobs due to depression and anxiety. I have a great Dr. here in Tijuana but I don't even have money to pay for regular sessions.
I've had great jobs but have lost them due to depression and anxiety. I'm so poor and while I've tried to do an attitude adjustment recently, it is hard to keep my head high when sometimes we don't even have enough for toilet paper!
I've lived in Tijuana for about three years and really for just the first year of that time was I working fairly steadily. Anyone that knows much about Tijuana knows that for the large part things aren't much if at all cheaper here except for rent.
I can't prove residency in CA and that's a big difficulty. I wish I knew someone whose address I could use. I occasionally use the address of my partner's Godfather, but they moved and I feel awkward, I don't want to take advantage.
I applied for unemployment awhile back and was rapidly denied. Is there any other assistance that I can get? I am not aware of all/any options available to poor people in San Diego and that's the main reason for this thread, to find out my options.
I keep applying for jobs and trying to keep my head up hoping that i will get a job sometime soon.
Thanks for reading this thread.

Me.

P.S. In case someone wonders, I'm a US Citizen and live in Mexico because my partner cannot live in the states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 07:14 PM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
If your spouse is a Mexican national you are probably SOL trying to get aid through State or Fed funds. Have you tried getting your guy here legally.

Aiding and abetting through false records will land you and that person stupid enough to give you their address in serious hot water...fast

Old 08-30-2012, 07:25 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
If you are U.S. Citizen and get legally come to the USA I would come to San Diego and have conversations with the local welfare department about getting health care. Since medications are OTC in Mexico have you been able to stay on an anti depressant for any length of time? Did that help?

Old 08-30-2012, 09:59 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,069 times
If you are a US citizen, for what reason do you need US residency? I know people that live in TJ and work In the US. If you are unable to work, I would apply for disability, maybe using a PO box ( and many of the homelss shelterswill let you receive mail or use address) and then explain your situation when you meet with a caseworker. If you have a tax paying work history in the US and you are unable to work now, your living in TJ should not impact your eligibility for assistance...(that last part is my opinion only, but when you think about it, elderly and military live outside of the US and still collect pensions). What exactly do you think will make your situation better? Hope you get in the road to recovery soon.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:16 PM

61 posts, read 140,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
If you are a US citizen, for what reason do you need US residency? I know people that live in TJ and work In the US. If you are unable to work, I would apply for disability, maybe using a PO box ( and many of the homelss shelterswill let you receive mail or use address) and then explain your situation when you meet with a caseworker. If you have a tax paying work history in the US and you are unable to work now, your living in TJ should not impact your eligibility for assistance...(that last part is my opinion only, but when you think about it, elderly and military live outside of the US and still collect pensions). What exactly do you think will make your situation better? Hope you get in the road to recovery soon.
Thanks for all your comments. The problem with applying for disability is that my doctor is Mexican in TJ. She's renowned and specialized here but applying for disability in the US requires a US Dr's report right? I didn't know about homeless shelters letting you use their address. I will have to check into that. Thanks!

Old 08-30-2012, 11:28 PM

Social security will send you to their own docs, but they will also want your regular doctors info too. You know it's odd bc TJ is in the SD metro area...I wonder how this is handled. Regardless you will need to go to the Doc social security sends you to, so go ahead and apply and see what happens. Neil Goode center is a place a lot of transient people can get mail. You will need to register there, but they will hold mail for about 30 days. keep in mind, most any kind of benifits applications can be completed and monitored online.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:59 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharias View Post
Thanks for all your comments. The problem with applying for disability is that my doctor is Mexican in TJ. She's renowned and specialized here but applying for disability in the US requires a US Dr's report right? I didn't know about homeless shelters letting you use their address. I will have to check into that. Thanks!
It sounds like what you are currently doing is not working...or at least that was the reason for your post, right? You must be willing to make changes to get disability here in the U.S. even if it means getting a U.S. doctor in addition to your current doc in Mexico. In addition, I would focus on what your goals are. It's not clear to me what you actually do want.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:50 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
The OP post makes little sense. It's not clear what is going on there. Where has he been working- in TJ or San Diego ? Unemployment is paid by each state. You have to be a state resident in the US to receive unemployment. If for example, you lived in Oregon, but worked in CA, then you would apply for unemployment in Oregon, and then Oregon would deal with the state of CA to get the benefits to you. However, if you don't have a legal US address, then you are out of luck. Non US residents cannot receive US unemployment.

It almost sounds like the OP worked in Mexico, but is somehow trying to get money from the state of CA for unemployment based solely on the fact that he is a US citizen.

Getting Medicaid is going to be difficult. Medicaid is administered by each state, not the federal government and is available only to state residents.

It seems as if they OP is actually a resident of Mexico and is planning on staying there but wants the benefits of a US citizen.

While it is one thing for various places to give an address to a homeless person, that homeless person is still residing in the state. It would be illegal for them to give an address to someone not living in US for the purpose of defrauding the state of CA . They would be in a boat load of trouble if found out and the Medicaid examiners do check.

Wondering if it might be better for the OP to simply try to acquire Mexican citizenship if plans on staying there permanently. Health care would certainly be easier.

Social Security is something different. SS is a defined benefit based on what you have contributed to the system during your working years. Once you're earned it you can carry it around the globe with you.

The OP seems to be in very confusing position and it's not evident what he really wants to do or where he wants to work.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:57 AM

I agree applying for foodstamps and Medicaid while living in TJ could be an issue with fraudulence (even though from a social sense TJ is part of the SD metro area, or vise versa) but social security based on earning history should not be an issue.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:36 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
"TJ is in the SD metro area"...last I knew, TJ was a city in another country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego