Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 02:18 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times

Advertisements

I am a 40yr. old African-American female(no kids) that will be visiting San Diego probably in January of next year. I will be renting a car on this trip so that I can be mobile. Looking for recommendations for a hotel(not too pricey, but relatively safe) as I am a single woman that is close to great shopping, and restaurants. I will also be driving around the city to see if its a city that I may want to potentially relocate to. Im currently in Charlotte, NC and my home is on the market.(Waiting ever so patiently for it to sell). Looking for any hidden gems or sides of town/suburbs that I should definitely check out. I may be 40, but still like to have a good time every now and then. Hope this helps and thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 03:55 PM

11 posts, read 26,725 times
We recently moved to San Diego. I have stayed at the Marriot Marina (right next to the convention center and very nice), Keating House B&B (Great location/nice guys who run the place, two things to note –no TV & air planes fly overhead), and the Marriot Courtyard on Hotel Circle (nice and affordable). Hotel Circle has a ton of Hotels but you can’t walk to anything, the plus side is -there is a great mall and many restaurants within a few minutes’ drive. I highly recommend staying at a B&B, you can get a good feel for the neighborhood and chat up the owners. If you are thinking of moving here you need to figure out which area you would most like Downtown, Beaches, or Suburbs. You may want to meet with a Realtor and have them show you around. Downtown has great condos/rentals & all the neighborhoods are so close you can really walk to each area easily. Uptown areas (Hillcrest, North Park, & University Heights) still very walkable but also requires a car to get around. For the city – if you stick to anything close to Balboa Park you can’t go wrong!
Here is a post I did about moving (you may find it helpful) - //www.city-data.com/forum/san-diego/1705084-so-you-want-move-san-diego.html ; Also two great websites about downtown real estate (I like both because they go into good details about each building) - http://www.welcometosandiego.com/ & http://www.welcometosandiego.com/

Last edited by CWinMD; 10-31-2012 at 04:17 PM..

Old 10-31-2012, 08:17 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times
Lafayette is fun and has a great pool party. It is also relatively cheap. Sub $100.00. This will put you in the middle of North Park, Hillcrest, and other urban neighborhoods. It just recently underwent an overhaul so it is pretty nice. Somewhat boutique and old school. Great bar and restaurant- Red Fox Room. In case you are out on the town and wont be driving it is about a $15.00 cab ride to downtown or other party spots.

When we moved away for a few years, we always stayed here when we came home to visit. I am preferential to Marriotts and a huge collector of their point system when I travel for work. But i really found The Lafayette interesting and fun.

Lafayette Hotel - San Diego - USA

Old 10-31-2012, 10:16 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
I had an out of town friend speak well of the lafayette as well, and I know locals who go the pool parties. It would probably be a nice place to stay for a solo traveler who likes to have a good time "now and then" as I think you would meet locals as well as other visitors. It's a bustling, urban, but as safe as such an area can be. Meaning just use common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego