Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 11:36 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Man, you guys are bumming me out........I always said that the DC area was the only place on the east coast that I'd want to live in.
It's a good area, just depends on where you work and live. Not entirely an expert on NoVA except getting car parts there but I live across the river in Montgomery County, MD and its very community-oriented. Other than the housing and COL, there wasn't much for me to complain...except maybe the geographical diversity. I'm a 15 minute walk to a walkable area, access to PT, good schools, trails etc. While there are some that are workaholics, I know I'm not one, that would've been true if I lived back in SoCal but I took a job (non-gov)here w/ 25% increase in pay with much less hours and responsibility than I did in SoCal.

Don't forget that your cycles of life affect you more than the city but you can probably find more ways to transcend all that in SD if you can find the time for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 12:02 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
yea but if you can afford to spend some time finding a job, your life is so much more enjoyable once you find work.

sdurbanite, DC/NoVA is a nice area, but its all I know and I'm tired of it. I'm sure plenty of people from San Diego feel the same way.

just because I feel that way doesn't mean you won't love it. cheer up
Why not look at the SF Bay Area instead? It has a much better economy than SoCal, you are still in Cali, easy access to the ocean and mountains, and the people are nicer and less superficial and just as laid back. Its just a bit colder and so is the water. Why San Diego specifically?

Old 11-29-2012, 12:06 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Why not look at the SF Bay Area instead? It has a much better economy than SoCal, you are still in Cali, easy access to the ocean and mountains, and the people are nicer and less superficial and just as laid back. Its just a bit colder and so is the water. Why San Diego specifically?
fell in love with it back in 2005. been a dream of mine to live out there ever since.

stars aligned and my parents moved out there 1.5 years ago and told us to come out. love the sun, beach, and 65-75 degree weather.

love San Fran too, but would rather live in San Diego

Old 11-29-2012, 12:21 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
sdurbanite, DC/NoVA is a nice area, but its all I know and I'm tired of it. I'm sure plenty of people from San Diego feel the same way.

just because I feel that way doesn't mean you won't love it. cheer up
Appreciate the response, but I'm really not going anywhere It's just a pipe dream of mine to live in the big city, commute by train, frequent museums, etc.

And I'm sure many people can relate to saying that they hate where they live if they've never lived anywhere else.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Appreciate the response, but I'm really not going anywhere It's just a pipe dream of mine to live in the big city, commute by train, frequent museums, etc.

And I'm sure many people can relate to saying that they hate where they live if they've never lived anywhere else.
let me tell you this. I commute by train or bus every single day and on the weekends (i don't own a car). after a while it sucks. the trains are absolutely packed (i'm talking like sardines) during rush hour. the trains are regularly delayed or breaking down causing serious disruptions in your commute and a lot of people are rude and unhygienic that you are packed in with.

sometimes I really miss the luxury of driving despite the traffic.

the upside is you can go to happy hour and get hammered and not worry about driving. and in the rare event there isn't a delay or track maintenance, it beats being stuck in traffic.

as far as museums go, I could go my entire life without stepping foot in another one. i've been to those museums so many times that I refuse to go when we have guests visiting us. they are cool the first dozen times, but after that you are tired of commuting to the museums on a delayed train packed full of tourists, only to be surrounded by more tourists trying to get a peek at the hope diamond for the 50th time.

sorry for the rant, but you touched on two areas of DC i won't miss

Last edited by Cardiff Kook; 11-29-2012 at 01:06 PM..

Old 11-29-2012, 01:02 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
let me tell you this. I commute by train or bus every single day and on the weekends (i don't own a car). after a while it sucks. the trains are absolutely packed (i'm talking like sardines) during rush hour. the trains are regularly delayed or breaking down causing serious disruptions in your commute and a lot of people are rude and unhygienic that you are packed in with.

sometimes I really miss the luxury of driving despite the traffic.

the upside is you can go to happy hour and get hammered and not worry about driving. and in the rare event there isn't a delay or track maintenance, it beats being stuck in traffic.

as far as museums go, I could go my entire life without stepping foot in another one. i've been to those museums so many times that I refuse to go when we have guests visiting us. they are cool the first dozen times, but after that you are tired of commuting to the museums on a delayed train packed full of tourists, only to be surrounded by more tourists trying to get a peak at the hope diamond for the 50th time.

sorry for the rant, but you touched on two areas of DC i won't miss
Trust me, those are legitimate rants. See what I meant by "Pipe dream"? Guess I'll stick to my annual visits to the BoWash Corridor instead of living there!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Trust me, those are legitimate rants. See what I meant by "Pipe dream"? Guess I'll stick to my annual visits to the BoWash Corridor instead of living there!
i forgot to mention that if you want to live in a nice area that is within walking distance (<1 mile) to a metro station you are going to get stuck paying over 200k for a studio, 375k-500k for a one bedroom, and 450-700k for a two bedroom on average.

I personally would rather live west of the five than live close to a metro station

Old 11-29-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
i forgot to mention that if you want to live in a nice area that is within walking distance (<1 mile) to a metro station you are going to get stuck paying over 200k for a studio, 375k-500k for a one bedroom, and 450-700k for a two bedroom on average.

I personally would rather live west of the five than live close to a metro station
Move to Texas then for very cheap housing and a good job market.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Move to Texas then for very cheap housing and a good job market.
but then you are living in Texas...

Old 11-29-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
but then you are living in Texas...
I know right? I wish it was California instead that had cheap housing and great job market. Why is it that the liberal places are so expensive and have poor job markets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego