Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 11:51 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,291 times

Advertisements

This subject has been broached several times in certain newspapers, online sites..etc. Most end up being advertisements for contrived chain bars and restaurants.

But then this came along:
Lucky 13: San Diego's Most Iconic Dive Bars - Eater Maps - Eater San Diego

This has to be the most accurate description of the 13 most iconic dive bars in San Diego.

Nunu's
Albie's
Pac Shores
Lamplighter
Red Fox Room
Star Bar
Live Wire
Aero
Waterfront
Lancer's
Alibi
Turf Club
Kraken

I have been to all of them. I must say Alibi is my favorite and don't care much for Livewire (super trendy and too cool for school-sleeve tattoo and Rollie Fingers mustache required) Red Fox Room for food and steak to be specific. Lancers smells funky and is just kind of dark and dank but good time. My father told stories about the Waterfront and how it used to have Portuguese and Italian gangsters-not so much anymore. Star Bar if you're into the Filipino ladies.

Anybody dee anything missing on this list. I was thinking Dirk's Horseshoe Lounge in Lemon Grove, but the place scares the $hi+ out of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 02:02 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
Beachcomber...is it still around?

Old 11-30-2012, 04:41 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
If you are scared of Dirks, try Sportsmans Pub or Grovers Tavern in Lemon Grove.
Although I though Dirk revamped his joint in the past year or two.

It will be like a time warp to another time and place. Hipsters drink PBR because its cool, these guys drink it because they can't get Schlitz

Old 11-30-2012, 04:52 PM

640 posts, read 956,776 times
How about Open Bar? Love that place.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:28 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,238 times
Good list, overall. The only one I haven't been to on that list is The Kraken. And can it still be considered a dive bar if they charge a cover?

Old 11-30-2012, 06:30 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Beachcomber...is it still around?
I didn't think it was possible to bring up the Beachcomber without mentioning The Pennant

Old 11-30-2012, 08:29 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,193 times
Hmmm...how is it that Tivoli isn't on there? That place is a total dive bar. All the other places in the Gaslamp are trying to clean up and spruce up, and that place...well, if you were to tear it up, you'd probably get stale beer coming out of the wood from the bar and floor.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:41 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Hmmm...how is it that Tivoli isn't on there? That place is a total dive bar. All the other places in the Gaslamp are trying to clean up and spruce up, and that place...well, if you were to tear it up, you'd probably get stale beer coming out of the wood from the bar and floor.
true. Also need to add the Blarney Stone on there. Straight up dive bar with the weirdest hours.
its right on 5th and Island. Prime location and a total dive, similar to Star Bar.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:16 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
This subject has been broached several times in certain newspapers, online sites..etc. Most end up being advertisements for contrived chain bars and restaurants.

But then this came along:
Lucky 13: San Diego's Most Iconic Dive Bars - Eater Maps - Eater San Diego

This has to be the most accurate description of the 13 most iconic dive bars in San Diego.

Nunu's
Albie's
Pac Shores
Lamplighter
Red Fox Room
Star Bar
Live Wire
Aero
Waterfront
Lancer's
Alibi
Turf Club
Kraken

I have been to all of them. I must say Alibi is my favorite and don't care much for Livewire (super trendy and too cool for school-sleeve tattoo and Rollie Fingers mustache required) Red Fox Room for food and steak to be specific. Lancers smells funky and is just kind of dark and dank but good time. My father told stories about the Waterfront and how it used to have Portuguese and Italian gangsters-not so much anymore. Star Bar if you're into the Filipino ladies.

Anybody dee anything missing on this list. I was thinking Dirk's Horseshoe Lounge in Lemon Grove, but the place scares the $hi+ out of me.
Hah. I've been going to Live Wire since the place opened. It's like a lot of other small dives- a little clique-ish until folks get to know you, but then everyone's really nice. It's a hallmark of every good neighborhood bar, but Live Wire gets sh** for it because of how people look,you know, having tattoos and all. I think it's pretty funny, actually. Them folks is no different than the folks at nunu's, waterfront, or star bar- none of the regulars there wanna talk to you either until you've been in a few times. People love to stereotype based on how folks look, though, even in this day and age.

PS, Red Fox just hasn't been the same since Shirley passed. And if you haven't been to Albie's... It's just amazing

Old 12-01-2012, 10:26 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
If you are scared of Dirks, try Sportsmans Pub or Grovers Tavern in Lemon Grove.
Although I though Dirk revamped his joint in the past year or two.

It will be like a time warp to another time and place. Hipsters drink PBR because its cool, these guys drink it because they can't get Schlitz
Glad to hear Dirks got a makeover. I remember it was pretty much a 1% bar. I remember going there many years ago and there was alot of full patch type of guys. Since I am into European bikes, I don't think I would fit in well. But live and let live. Folks is just folks, as someone said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: