Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 12:59 PM
IPS IPS started this thread

1 posts, read 3,823 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking on relocating to Ca. from Wa. State. I lived in chulavista back in 1983.
Have 2 teenagers males and a Young Adult male sons. and I'm 40 + so any info. on the cities/areas would be much appreciated or other nearby surround areas
that might be a better choice.

High crime? gangs a big issue? areas to stay out of?
Highschools to be recomended? safety is a big issue too.

I'm looking also to rent not to buy. And might end up needing 2 bedrooms only.
ahead of time thank you for information that you all can provide.

Last edited by IPS; 07-08-2006 at 01:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2006, 05:31 PM

64 posts, read 489,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPS
I'm thinking on relocating to Ca. from Wa. State. I lived in chulavista back in 1983.
Have 2 teenagers males and a Young Adult male sons. and I'm 40 + so any info. on the cities/areas would be much appreciated or other nearby surround areas
that might be a better choice.

High crime? gangs a big issue? areas to stay out of?
Highschools to be recomended? safety is a big issue too.

I'm looking also to rent not to buy. And might end up needing 2 bedrooms only.
ahead of time thank you for information that you all can provide.
CRIME WATCH: SOUTH EDITION
Woman reports that gunman took Camry

May 31, 2006
CHULA VISTA – A man who appeared to be in his late teens held a gun to a woman's head and demanded the keys to her 2007 Toyota Camry on Monday night, police said. The woman reported the carjacking at 10:45 p.m. on Malta Avenue near Talus Street, said Chula Vista police Sgt. Yvette Roullier. The woman told police that the robber drove away in her blue Camry, possibly toward Interstate 805.
Police did not provide a detailed description of the robber and did not have the Camry's yesterday afternoon.>>>>>>>
Also there are daylight robberies. If you can get a concealed weapons permit, the South Bay would be a lot safer but I guess crime is all over southern California.

Old 07-09-2006, 12:44 AM

61 posts, read 579,567 times
If safety is an issue, do not move south of San Diego (unless you plan to live in Jamul or Bonita). Chula Vista does have a newer section that i'm not so sure about...it might be better.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:35 PM

6 posts, read 51,440 times
Hi, just moved from Chula Vista last year. Do you remember "H' & "J" streets. If you head NE on either one you run into Terra Nova Community, Southwestern College, Sharp Hospital. Keep going east a short distance and your in Eastlake. Eastlake greens golf course, man made lake, shopping mall, farther down toward Otay Lakes (lower & upper) coors amphitheater, olympic center, and Otay Lakes. Not sure if they finished building the new camp areas there. Good schools: Eastlake High, we held several of our annual "Huck Finn" banquet dinners there. If your boys enjoy fishing "Huck Finn" is part of the SUHD afterschool program. They provide ocean & lake fishing trips. I worked for awhile at Hilltop High another good school-good football team. Chula Vista High is a performing arts school & is okay. H & J streets are good areas, stay on those & it takes you up to Terra Nova, Eastlake. J street has an RV Resort, marina, seafood restaurant, & pier. Bad area close to Nat'l City borderline & San Ysidro. 2 bedrooms were going for $1,200 when I left. Hope this helps.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:15 PM

21 posts, read 146,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Remember View Post
CRIME WATCH: SOUTH EDITION
Woman reports that gunman took Camry

Also there are daylight robberies. If you can get a concealed weapons permit, the South Bay would be a lot safer but I guess crime is all over southern California.

LOL! I've lived in the South Bay since 1971, even went to school here. Granted, there IS a lot of crime here...But, unless you're wandering the streets at night, you're probably not going to see THAT much of it. If you read the paper, most of the crime in the so bay happens somewhere around 1 am.

Do NOT carry a concealed weapon around here...that WILL get you killed. Or we'll read in the paper about some innocent old lady getting shot...We have enough of that here.

You can live in the SoBay and not be a victim of crime. Adopt a large dog from one of our many local shelters. You'll give he/she a wonderful home and it'll be protection. The dog doesn't need to be "protection trained". If they're pretty big and they bark, it'll deter anyone thinking about robbing you. We have 2 large dogs and a fenced in yard, we're one of the few houses on the block that hasn't been a robbery victim, no one wants to tangle with two 85lb dogs. If you have to go somewhere at night, take him/her or them with you...Ours live inside like family, but go outside to run around and bark at people...It's a wonderful deterrent.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:35 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times
South Bay is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Personally I really dislike San Ysidro, however. Dusty and tract homes galore. Westside Chula is not bad at all, older homes, and the East side is tract home mcmansion land. The worst part about South bay is the traffic on the 805. Personally I like Bonita better than Chula Proper or San Ysidro / Otay Mesa.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 7,155 times
Default Chula Vista yes...San Ysidro no

Chula Vista is fine it's a decent area, not like the big city and unless you are an idiot who walks around waving money at people I doubt you'll get mugged. As for San Ysidro, if you speak Spanish and don't mind living in Tijuana Mexico either it's fine...My sister lives there but that's all the time she spends there is sleeping. Got teen agers? Whatch out for drugs it's close to San Diego which is probably the drug capital of the country. Unless they really got their heads on straight it'll be easy for them to get caught up in the "hollywood cool" scene. I know I live in Imperial Beach between Chula Vista and San Ysidro... to the West.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:41 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nina91x View Post
Whatch out for drugs it's close to San Diego which is probably the drug capital of the country.
You've never been to NYC or Portland, Oregon, I take it. Now that's a drug scene.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:15 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,434,974 times
"Originally Posted by nina91x
Whatch out for drugs it's close to San Diego which is probably the drug capital of the country."

Did you pull that out of your backside ?

Please provide some proof....I grew up in Maryland near Washington DC and San Diego looks like Chuck-e-Cheese compared to that area. Oh, and let me tell you about parts of Norfolk, Newport News and Portsmouth VA....Scary. Drugs were like a way of life to the poor in those places.

While I know of some recreational pot use in PB, then there are the lost meth-heads in OB that live under the pier, then there are the kids in the affluent hoods that make the news because they were caught in their Mom's Saab with Coke.....but number one in the country. Even downtown, I think more Lattes are thrown back there than anything....

Sorry, but I'm going to call bs on that one.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:30 AM

7 posts, read 37,708 times
san ysidro is known by the locals as "skid row"... avoid this crap hole at all cost. 75% of chula vista is middle class hard workers...stay east of chula vista in the communitys of otay ranch and eastlake, which are master planned communitys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego