Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Just wondering if there are still some of you who insist that you don't need heating in SD? It's dropped to 37/38 degrees at my house for almost a week now. My fireplace is working hard these days

Hey sdurbanite. We definitely use heating in the winter here. I'm the type that loves to sleep in cold weather and pile on the down comforters but we have two young kids so always keep the temperature at least on 68 during the winter and it definitely runs at night. Without it, it would get really chilly.

We also use the fireplace quite a bit during the winter which is nice. Boy, living in San Diego can really spoil a person for great weather!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Just wondering if there are still some of you who insist that you don't need heating in SD? It's dropped to 37/38 degrees at my house for almost a week now. My fireplace is working hard these days

Actually when we lived downtown we never used heat except a couple times when we had company over, and even then it was just long enough to get the chill out.we were in a condo so maybe less exposed. It has been on every night for a long time here on the beach. I don't know if it is much colder in general on the beach, the fact that we are in a single family home so there is less protection, or this winter is colder. I know riding my scooter into work I have had to wear my Cleveland riding gear for the last couple weeks, something I never did in the prior 2 winters.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:49 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times
This is my third winter living downtown. The heat has never come on. Not one time.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:35 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
This is my third winter living downtown. The heat has never come on. Not one time.
Do you get heat radiating upwards from units below you? We almost never turn on our heat (so far this year, only two evenings). I sometimes think we should offer to pay a month's energy bill for the folks under us, because we hear their heat cycling on all the time.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:28 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
My space heater is one when I'm home, off when I'm out or asleep. I have an electric blanket that keeps me nice and warm when I'm sleeping, along with a heater cat.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:37 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
We use the heat definitely. Although we rarely if at all used it downtown. That buildinh would just absorb all the radiant heat during the day and keep the place warm. Not so warm that windows could be leftnopen all night, but within that 67-68 range.

On the flip side, we use the AC far lessnin the house than we did downtown in the summer.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
It's been downright chilly out here in Otay Ranch. We have the heat on until we go to bed, since I like it cooler for sleep.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:50 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Do you get heat radiating upwards from units below you? We almost never turn on our heat (so far this year, only two evenings). I sometimes think we should offer to pay a month's energy bill for the folks under us, because we hear their heat cycling on all the time.
I don't know. I've set it where I set it when I was living in DC, at 68 degrees, and it's never come on. Not one time. The temp in my apartment right now is 72 degrees and I'm sitting here typing this in shorts.

As my dad said, the furniture, carpet, and other things in the apartment absorb radiant heat from the sun during the day. At night, it releases that heat and keeps the place warm.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:02 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
Actually when we lived downtown we never used heat except a couple times when we had company over, and even then it was just long enough to get the chill out.we were in a condo so maybe less exposed. It has been on every night for a long time here on the beach. I don't know if it is much colder in general on the beach, the fact that we are in a single family home so there is less protection, or this winter is colder. I know riding my scooter into work I have had to wear my Cleveland riding gear for the last couple weeks, something I never did in the prior 2 winters.
It makes sense that those living in apt/condos haven't had to turn on the heat, while those in SFH's have. My house has lots of windows and has wood floor throughout, so it gets cold at night. I don't mind it, though, it is January after all.

Looks like the coldest nights of the season are coming this weekend.......This is for the coast

Old 01-08-2013, 12:25 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
And speaking of cold, it was 100 years ago today that the coldest temp ever recorded downtown occurred........25 degrees.

Remembering San Diego's Big Chill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego