Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 05:33 PM

9 posts, read 8,715 times

Advertisements

Hello there people of the San Diego forum! Another college student about to graduate and wanting some input toward his more unique situation.

Well, essentially I've chosen San Diego to head to after spending 4 years in Boston (I'm not from here), but Seattle is still lingering in the back of my mind (not for this thread though). I've been to California, and in fact most of the 50 states by car thanks to my parents traveling so much. I know I love and belong out west, I just can't put up with the east coast brusqueness.

I do appreciate all the experiences that happened in Boston, however. I've gotten an unusual and extensive amount of experience in animal handling and at some noteworthy aquariums out east, and I'm looking to eventually work at San Diego Zoo or something involving animals. Positions sometimes take awhile to open up, though, so in the meantime I'll be looking for a job to get by; when something does open up, I'm very confident in my resume. I have my family's support for a few months to secure things and have family business associates in the area, so that is not an immediate issue. I'm not above doing whatever work I can find to help establish my independence more fully. I'm also pretty modest and don't live or die by materialism, and don't plan on kids or settling down anytime soon. What are the prospects for finding a job for a fresh grad who's been employed for all fours years of college, with two good internships to back it up?

Ideally I'd like to drive as little as possible since it may take awhile to get a car out there, but I'd also like to live as close as I can to some beach, any beach as long as it's safe. Basically, within walking or biking distance. A huge reason for venturing out to SD is the weather, I'm tired of winters. What would be good locations near a beach for a 24 year old to check out, although one that's not really a party boy? I love the beach and would go just about every day, but I'm still a serious and focused individual despite being very friendly and easygoing. Also a bit 'liberal' in regards to who I am attracted to, but from what I've been reading, a few political offices have been filled by more liberal candidates and the general trend is good toward that stuff.

As for other random information that might help, I grew up for a few years in south Texas and am more or less conversationally capable in Spanish because of it, so that can't hurt me. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head!

TL;dr:
> Good locations to rent straight out of college as close to a beach as possible?
> In conjunction, as little driving as possible at first. Boston's MBTA has served me really well and I'm a commuter/public transportation veteran even at the young age of 24.
> Job prospects for a grad who has a lot of quality work and internship experience in working with animals/aquariums, short term (outside of my field while I wait for something to open up in the area)?

Sorry for the rambling, I look forward to hearing your input! Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 07:45 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,406,148 times
I'll comment on what I can, the beaches are not the best location for accessing public transit. The beaches will have a bus route, but that's like being in a city with only one airline.

Your best transit options lie in the Balboa Park neighborhoods, Downtown, or right by a Trolley Station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego