Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:58 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times

Advertisements

I moved from Spokane to California. The cost of living is definitely an issue. The biggest issues are the state income tax (immediate salary reduction as compared to WA) and the cost of rent (or real estate). The other stuff is not as noticeable and you have more control of.

I wouldn't be swayed by others saying you should save save save. That is a personal value and some people want to retire early, while others would rather live their youth where you can leave your house most of the year. It really depends what you value.

I haven't been terribly smart with my money, but I value experiences and I don't hate working. I expect to work most of my life, and I wish I could have moved to CA sooner than later.

All that said, being in CA has made me much more aware of money and finances. I would not move to CA without a job like some people do. I did wait until I had a good offer. But it wasn't perfect, just good enough.

2 years later I can now work from home. I wish my salary was a bout $20,000 more per year but so far my benefits outweigh the negatives.

Washington was nice, but as a single person with no connections there it wasn't the best place to be as a single person. I would consider moving there again later in life or as a couple.

I think CA is generally better for single people. Except of course, financially. Just all about your values and what you want in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 08:13 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Although, in all fairness, I do think this topic might be a better 'new' thread to give better visibility for readers looking to take the leap in the CA general forums. This post mentions nothing about SD in particular.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 07-07-2013 at 08:27 AM..

Old 07-07-2013, 08:36 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerose View Post
Electricity...Southern California Edison is a killer. Our electric bills in the summer time are at least $450 a month and that is not keeping very cool. That is still sweating in your house, but survivable. SCE will eat your paycheck. I kid you not!
San Diego is not served by SCE, but instead by SDG&E (San Diego Gas & Electric). The size of an electric bill depends on many things, including how many electric (vs. gas) appliances you run, and how much you run A/C.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:17 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerose View Post
Electricity...Southern California Edison is a killer. Our electric bills in the summer time are at least $450 a month and that is not keeping very cool. That is still sweating in your house, but survivable. SCE will eat your paycheck. I kid you not!
That is pretty high for no A/C and not comparable to what our family pays, which is closer to 100 a month on average, less in the summer b/c of longer daylight hours....We use a plug in space heater a couple of months per year, and fans for part of the summer and do fine, a few miles from the coast.

Those who live in cold winter regions, typically pay 400 per month in utilities, unless they use wood to heat, which still costs a few hundred per season....
Just saying, that OP will find fresh, cheaper produce year round, have no winter wear and tear on vehicles, and not have winter utility bills. All said and done, Housing is the main issue that makes CA more expensive than some other places. But I never understand that rep in comparison to places like the NE, where it is easily more expensive, and not just in NYC.....

Old 03-08-2014, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,206 times
We live SD since 1989, it is not the place to save, buy a home, start a family especially, in younger age, 18 to 30 plus.
You have more advantages in life with having your own home, $77, 000.

I have 2 sons, almost your age, still live with us, accumulating student loans, far behind from you in life bec. The competition here for the best paying jobs is tough, even u are college graduate, or even with dual master's degree like me.

The pay is smaller compared to other counties in CA, 140 percent cost of living, very expensive homes, utilities, sales tax, property taxes, state taxes, Mello roos, HOA, other additional taxes.

I spent at least $600 plus a month in utilities.
My backyard and front yard are very small, with more concrete. I pay more than $100plus a month in water.

My mom rents her one small bedroom in miramesa for $500, share with 3 other room mates, sharing one bathroom.

Condo unit, very old, built 1977, is priced $200 plus.
Property tax and other federal, state, disability, 2 more additional taxes will eat your paycheck.

If I use my heater or air condition, once a month, at night or day, only, my electric bill go up to $200 .

The weather gets very cold sometimes, at low 40's, or 37' f, at night during winter,
the heat can go up over 100, at times during summer during day, or high 90's.

Iam a nurse practitioner with dual master in nursing, business adm., over 30 yrs of experience. Iam getting offer for a job with a salary of $40 per hour in SD, which is a $20 less for my hourly rate in the last job that I had outside SD, but still in CA.

I will not be able to retire early, help my children pay their college tuition if I stay here in SD., save more, enjoy travel, etc.
My children will not get better quality of life If they stay in SD.

They will have to work more, less lifetime hours to enjoy their family and life because they will have less income after many tax deductions, and after the cost of living expenses.

It is a hard decision to move out but I would like to move out now in SD and move to Spokane Washington, AZ, NV, other states with low cost of living, where I can have my full practice privilege to work as a nurse practitioner.

SD is the best place to live if you are making at least $300,000 more a year,
Or best place to visit, vacation, play, but not to live a better quality of life if you are making $250,000 or less.

SD has over 10 unemployment rate or higher than nationwide.

My 2 brothers lost their jobs, and they live here in SD since 1987. They do not own home like you even you are only 32 years old.
Both of them have no retirement savings, have not travel at all, etc.

Last edited by nursemags; 03-08-2014 at 03:26 PM..

Old 03-08-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Taking a pay cut, having to pay a lot more in San Diego housing costs, paying CA higher fees and taxes, and giving up home ownership? I wouldn't do it.

I'd work at least a few more years in Spokane. And get ruthless about saving money, and putting it into productive investments. Put it away hand-over-fist. Have that money working for you 24-7 in productive assets like bonds and quality stock index funds.

At your young age, my advice will give you great flexibility by the time you reach 40-45, to the point where you could contemplate early retirement, or at least be well on your way to it. There is no substitute for financial independence: the freedom to do what you want, when you want, and having the means and ability to say "no" to crap you don't want to do.

Your contemplated move to San Diego will seriously crimp your march to financial independence.
all well and good except....he lives in Spokane (or she... ) and if they are "he" I might almost agree with you.

I actually moved form Spokane to CA (Ventura and now to SD area) the MAIN reason I left was for my social life and of course to not have winter for 8 months (Which can drastically affect your social life) If you are female and anywhere in your 30's trust me Spokane is not really the place to be while you watch your youth and opportunities fade away. If all you want to do is build a nest egg and you are fine sitting inside doing cross-stitch for 8 months while your eggs dry up then fine, great. Or if you are male and you don't really care, fine just live to work up there and kiss your youth good bye...

I am only slightly exaggerating here. Spokane is great (well, almost... ) for married people but even then... it seriously is winter for about 8 months and it is NOT CLOSE TO ANYTHING except more nature which is lovely but its a lot more lovely when you are either in high school preparing for life or close to retirement...not in your prime years, unless of course Spokane is the ideal place you wanted to settle down for whatever reason (perhaps hunting, fishing and good snow shoeing opportunities...)

If I were married it might even be a consideration but seriously Spokane is no place to be single the rest of your life. Money is NOT THAT GREAT if that is the sacrifice you are making.

If this doesn't apply to you and your vitamin D deficiency is that severe yet then fine, enjoy Spokane.

But if you are wanting a little more out of life and are not married to the idea of being independently wealthy or retiring early (I mean seriously, who retires early? its never been a dream or goal of mine I like to work, to some people that is important, great if you want to halt your life) then DO IT

or stay in spokane a little longer and search for a better offer. If you don't have debt I think you will do fine on that salary keeping your home as a rental, as long as you don't have a lot of other debts or bills it will be fine.

Figure out what matters to you then decide if you want to make the move. Spokane was pretty, sometimes I miss the clean air and slower pace. But if I hadn't made the move I know I'd still be there wondering what my life would have been like here in CA.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
That is pretty high for no A/C and not comparable to what our family pays, which is closer to 100 a month on average, less in the summer b/c of longer daylight hours....We use a plug in space heater a couple of months per year, and fans for part of the summer and do fine, a few miles from the coast.

Those who live in cold winter regions, typically pay 400 per month in utilities, unless they use wood to heat, which still costs a few hundred per season....
Just saying, that OP will find fresh, cheaper produce year round, have no winter wear and tear on vehicles, and not have winter utility bills. All said and done, Housing is the main issue that makes CA more expensive than some other places. But I never understand that rep in comparison to places like the NE, where it is easily more expensive, and not just in NYC.....
not to mention no longer needing $600 snow tires and getting the tires changed each season. And the groceries are SO expensive up there. So are all the car accidents in the winter.

I sometimes miss the no income tax and cheaper rent but, not enough. It was a really nice place to disappear from the world for a while, for me personally. That's fine for 6 months but not for your prime decades.

oh gee this is old, whelp nevermind you all scared that poor person off

Old 06-04-2014, 02:01 PM

3 posts, read 4,415 times
I'm moving from Sacramento to Spokane, any words of advice?

Old 06-04-2014, 03:22 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmegan4u4 View Post
I'm moving from Sacramento to Spokane, any words of advice?
Ask in the Washington forum or one of its subforums. San Diego is neither Sacramento nor Spokane, and the OP posted quite some time ago.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:31 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,745 times
I lived in Spokane for 9 yrs and California for the other 29. I would suggest that you do it. I think you'll love California. You make enough to live OK in this state. Just be aware that you'll not be saving much on $65k. Your state tax alone is going to be about $200/month on that salary, and a decent apartment probably $1,200 min. But I've done it for yrs making in the 70's and been very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego