Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 01:16 AM

108 posts, read 60,407 times

Advertisements

I am going to be in San Diego for 1 day. been there before and walked around downtown. I will be in town April 16th and wondering where I should explore sort of outside the downtown area? I am going to use the public transportation. My flight gets in at 7:20 and my flight leaves at 7:30 that night. I like to explore and take photos. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 08:49 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,572,215 times
You don't have a whole lot of time on the ground. Here's a good way to see the city:
1. Get a cab to Old Town: Old Town San Diego Guide
There's lots to see while you walk the area. Print a map of Old Town from the website.

2. Get on the city trolley tour at Old Town: San Diego Tours | San Diego Attractions | San Diego Trolley
This tour covers a lot of San Diego's main tourist sites. You can get off and on again at any stop.

3. Back at Old Town (if you still have time), you can eat at one of the many Mexican restaurants. I usually take my out-of-town guests to Cafe Coyote. Sometimes Rockin' Baja.

4. Cab it back to the airport.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:32 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,692,329 times
I agree with Cruitr. Just want to add: You don't say where you're coming from, so if you are not familiar with the Pacific Ocean, my 2 cents is that you spend time at the beach. There are excellent and fairly good restaurants almost anywhere along any beach in SD.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:51 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,861 times
With only 12 hours, I will third Cruitr's suggestion about taking the Trolley Tour. You'll be able to see Coronado, Old Town, Balboa Park and Downtown, all at once. The good thing is that the airport is right in the middle of the city. You'll have good photo opps at many of the trolley stops, particularly, Balboa Park and Coronado. Have fun!

Old 04-05-2013, 11:06 PM

I have decided to stay overnight.I'll be downtown. That allows for a bit more time. Get in the 14th of May at 12:45p and leae the 15th at 6:15p

Old 04-05-2013, 11:59 PM

210 posts, read 412,117 times
Skip downtown and spent your night in Hillcrest. It will be an experience you will not soon forget!

Old 04-06-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjhku View Post
Skip downtown and spent your night in Hillcrest. It will be an experience you will not soon forget!
When I visited in 2010 I spent the whole day I had downtown and went over to the Hotel Del. I was considering Hillcrest. Any other cool areas to check out? I'm a big architecture and scenery photography buff

Old 04-06-2013, 07:43 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,692,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daninAZ View Post
When I visited in 2010 I spent the whole day I had downtown and went over to the Hotel Del. I was considering Hillcrest. Any other cool areas to check out? I'm a big architecture and scenery photography buff
Just about any place you look in San Diego.

On a more serious note, you have only a relatively few hours in SD. Just enjoy being there. Take the Trolley Tour. (SEE THE OCEAN! LOL) Relax. And come back sometime for a longer stay.

I spent 2 weeks in Boston -- and it wasn't nearly long enough. I can't imagine what it would have been like if I had had only 24 hours.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:33 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,592,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daninAZ View Post
I'm not sure if you'd be able to find it, but there'a a book
"San Diego Architecture" by Dirk Sutro. It's a collection of walking tours of various neighborhoods. The Hillcrest list includes:

Georgia Street Bridge - Georgia St. & University Ave.
Park THreatre - 3823 Park Blvd
house - 1000 block of University Ave
Cable Lofts - 3940 Seventh Ave
Village Hillcrest - Fifth & Washington
Mercy Hospital and Convent building - 4077 Fifth Ave
First Church of the United Brethren - 321 Robinson Ave
Sunnyslope Lodge - 3733 Robinson News
Half-Sherman House - 3717-25 First Ave
Hardesty House - 3695 Third Ave
Design Center - 3611 Fifth
Louis Gill Residence - 244 W. Brookes Ave

Old 04-06-2013, 10:49 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,230 times
Don't forget to visit Balboa Park as it is the cultural heart of the city and houses all the major museums along with arts events, the Imax (the traditional one with the globe shaped screen not what movie theaters are calling Imax these days), and the Zoo which is world famous and has the largest collection of rare and endangered species in the world. The zoo might sound boring but it's actually pretty darn cool and they make a great effort to keep things fresh, educational, and entertaining.

It's a shame you'll be here on a weekday instead of a weekend because on the weekends all the street performers are out in Balboa Park and some of them put on a pretty amazing show. Lots of people juggling, doing magic shows, playing music, doing chalk drawings, and there is one guy who likes to play the bagpipes. Just avoid the Scientologist stand where they try to get people to join their cult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego