Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 08:11 PM

51 posts, read 126,408 times

Advertisements

I have lived in ny on long island my whole life and i am so ready for a change. I have nothing holding me back right now, job wise, relationship, really nothing is in the way. I know within the next year is a great time for me to make a move. I have always seen myself moving to california and raising children there some day but sometimes i am not sure if it is really for me. As much as i hate the winters here, i love them at the same time because during the holidays its so cozy and very festive with the snow falling down and fire place going. And my favorite time of year is the fall and i know california doesnt really get a fall, so that is one thing i know i would miss.

Has anyone on here moved from the east coast to west coast and really regretted it?! I need like advice from someone who has actually done it. Some days i know i want to live in california because there is so much to offer job wise and with raising kids their is so much to do. Long island has pretty much nothing for kids to do.

If i do stay on the east coast, i would move to either ct, ma or ri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 08:24 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I moved and never regretted it.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:31 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I moved and never regretted it.
I moved from The West Coast to The East Coast. Lived in Alexandria, VA, for 12 months. I loved the change of seasons. Still do (I'm in NM -- going back to San Diego within the next 8-12 mos). The ONLY thing I really detest about Southern CA is there is no real change of seasons. It gets real boring after a while. On the other hand, I can't stand being indoors all winter. I couldn't live on The East Coast again.

But Southern CA is going to be an adjustment. And don't think it's heaven 'cause it's not. I'm going back only because it's my home. And, well, the Pacific Ocean. And the Pacific Ocean. And did I mention the Pacific Ocean?

Old 04-21-2013, 08:47 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Born and raised Jersey girl here. Of course, it has been sometime since actually living there, but still, don't miss it n the least. The good news, here in SD, should you crave the cold and snow, you can just travel an hr or so and you are there. The same goes for the color changes of Autumn.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Born and raised Jersey girl here. Of course, it has been sometime since actually living there, but still, don't miss it n the least. The good news, here in SD, should you crave the cold and snow, you can just travel an hr or so and you are there. The same goes for the color changes of Autumn.
Yes, I agree to a certain extent. BUT -- it's not the same as living in snow day after day. I will really miss NM's relatively mild winters (compared to the not-so-mild East Coast winters) after I'm gone. However, I won't miss them enough to stay. :-)

Old 04-22-2013, 09:36 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Moving to California isn't going to magically get you increased job opportunities and more stuff for kids to do (as I'm sure you know). There are plenty of places scattered everywhere that offer these benefits.

In fact, the primary benefit of California that I can think of is the weather, and that applies mainly to southern California. And that's the one thing you're hesitating over. So ... think about lots of places in addition to California.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Moving to California isn't going to magically get you increased job opportunities and more stuff for kids to do (as I'm sure you know). There are plenty of places scattered everywhere that offer these benefits.

In fact, the primary benefit of California that I can think of is the weather, and that applies mainly to southern California. And that's the one thing you're hesitating over. So ... think about lots of places in addition to California.
I think you are right about not magically increased job opportunities, but I KNOW there is more things to do with children. I was raised there, and I raised my kids there. I've lived all over The US and in Germany, and I KNOW PERSONALLY that there are LOTS of things to do with children in CA compared to most other places. I never realized how much of a playground Southern CA is/was until I moved away. With SO many things to do -- with and without the children -- and with the ideal weather, well, it's not heaven -- but close to it. LOL

Old 04-22-2013, 01:31 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I think you are right about not magically increased job opportunities, but I KNOW there is more things to do with children. I was raised there, and I raised my kids there. I've lived all over The US and in Germany, and I KNOW PERSONALLY that there are LOTS of things to do with children in CA compared to most other places. I never realized how much of a playground Southern CA is/was until I moved away. With SO many things to do -- with and without the children -- and with the ideal weather, well, it's not heaven -- but close to it. LOL
There are activities all over the US for children. It's not just a southern California thing. Maybe the weather is nicer, but every place has it's cool things to do and bad things to avoid.

For the OP, I assume you plan on having children one day. And since you don't seen to know much about California or seem to have even been here, you probably don't have family out here. So take it from somebody who moved out west from NY/NJ, it can take its toll. Having family, grandparents, old friends, etc around is a godsend. Not having them means worrying about babysitters, worrying about everything really.

Holidays are different. Unless you come from a family with unlimited income, holidays start to become more lonely. It's expensive to travel across the country. And it's long. And kids on a plane aren't the best of times. This can be the case no matter where you moved though. But when it's all the way across the country, holidays and just family in general become more skype conversations and once or twice a year visits. Or you visit, but they are working most of the time or they visit and you're working most of the time. And considering you said something about winters and liking the closeness feel of it, you will not only lose that kind of atmosphere, but you'll probably lose that kind of family time together.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:46 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
And did I mention the Pacific Ocean?
Agreed. The Pacific and the mountains are the main draw for the West in general. If you dont care about being able to enjoy nature 365 days a year then there's no point in moving to San Diego. If you're into indoor activities like gaming, painting or music then might as well save yourself a ton of dough and stay where you are.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:12 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Agreed. The Pacific and the mountains are the main draw for the West in general. If you dont care about being able to enjoy nature 365 days a year then there's no point in moving to San Diego. If you're into indoor activities like gaming, painting or music then might as well save yourself a ton of dough and stay where you are.
I agree. If you aren't into the beach, hiking, outdoor activities, etc I'm not sure why you would spend more money to live in a place like San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego