Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2006, 08:31 AM

72 posts, read 434,320 times

Advertisements

Should I buy a townhome in Carlsbad or Orange County?

The real estate (specifically townhomes and entry-level houses) is cheaper in Carlsbad than the Orange County cities I like (which are Mission Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Hills, Aliso Viejo, and San Clemente). However, I worry if I ever lose my South Orange COunty job while living in Carlsbad, will I be able to get another job nearby? I know Orange County (especially Irvine) has lots of jobs, but if I ever get a job in Irvine in the future than Carlsbad will be too far away from Irvine for me to commute.

Carlsbad is near the beach (which I like), while Mission Viejo is more inland (so that it will be hotter during the summer).

I was thinking if I did buy a townhome in Carlsbad and I lose my job, will it be easy for me to get a renter for the townhome while I move to wherever my new job would be? Since Carlsbad is far away from job centers such as Orange County and San DIego, I worry about getting a renter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2006, 12:28 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
A lot of people commute from Carlsbad to Irvine. Similarly a lot commute from Carlsbad to Sorrento Valley in San Diego. Both are long, hellish commutes, but a big reason that Carlsbad is growing is because of this central location. The job market is better in Orange County in general, but San Diego has a good tech job market, especially for wireless engineers and people working on military projects.

Either one is a good choice, I am starting to see more jobs in and around Carlsbad too, especially up the Palomar Airport Road area.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:07 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,781 times
Sassberto, sorry for following you thread by thread - LOL - rest assured that I just have a question to ask, and I sincerely appreciate your forthright and open-minded answers.

I am looking 98% into Carlsbad, CA, and slightly into Southern Orange County. For me, commute is a non-issue because I work from home. My concern (and question) is about Carlsbad. Looks like Carlsbad itself has various and distinct areas. I need a good school system for K-8 elementary (several kids), and an upcoming high-schooler that will be in grade 9 next year. A house I'm looking at is on Colobri Lane in LaCosta (Carlsbad), however, the school system is San Marcos. The school is San Elijo, and San Marcos high. I thought I read somewhere to keep away from East Carlsbad (if this is wrong, please accept my apologies, as I do not wish to put down any area), but somewhere, not even on this board, I read that. I read that Carlsbad is considered a better school than San Marcos. Truthfully, I'm not into yuppie or snobby, and I'm a little concerned about that. Is San Marcos a good school system? Thoughts on either one, or comparison?

Any help or feedback you could provide would be sincerely appreciated. If you wish to PM me, I will check that too.

Again, thank you most kindly.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:06 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Socketz will have better answers for you... I don't live in North County. In general Carlsbad is "nicer" (richer) than San Marcos....

Old 10-09-2006, 09:16 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
Donna,

Carlsbad and its schools are better than San Marcos as a whole. Now not to say that San Marcos doesn't have a few decent schools (Richland, Discovery and Carrillo, La Costa Meadows Elementary Schools), but Carlsbad is a bit better overall. Also, if you go more south into La Costa/Encinitas, the schools get better.

Personally, if it's a coin toss between San Diego and OC, I'd stretch and go for OC. Lower crime, better schools, better/higher paying jobs and more progressive life style. I moved from there a few years back (wife's family is in San Diego) and have never been the same - always felt like I left something behind there. I like San Diego, but I'm in the semiconductor field, so San Diego is like a tier 2-3 market at best. Everything just seems really slow here to me, but of course alot of people enjoy that type of 'cutoff shorts and flip flops' lifestyle. I liked it for a few years, but I'm bored.

Anyway, if you want a really nice condo in OC, look in 'Ladera Ranch' , Aliso Viejo or Rancho Santa Margarita. All newer, very nice, great schools, very safe and somewhat affordable areas (condos).

Old 10-25-2006, 04:41 PM

852 posts, read 3,814,707 times
I wouldn't buy a townhome in either area in this market. We have a friend who bought a terrific condo in Carlsbad at the beginning of the year, and with a job change she likely will lose thousands if she sells. This might be a rental time.

Old 11-19-2006, 05:53 PM

55 posts, read 337,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
I wouldn't buy a townhome in either area in this market. We have a friend who bought a terrific condo in Carlsbad at the beginning of the year, and with a job change she likely will lose thousands if she sells. This might be a rental time.
Completely agree here. The big talk around here is to wait a couple of years... I have read several "overpriced cities" lists and San Marcos/North County San Diego (which includes Carlsbad) was #1 on those lists. I would definitely consider renting as #1) it's a good idea in this marked and #2) if you lose your job or need to relocate you can simply cut ties with your landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego