Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 05:36 PM

5 posts, read 6,456 times

Advertisements

My husband and I am wanting to move to the San Diego area, probably southern suburbs, when I finish with grad school. I was just wondering if the weather is realistic to have a swimming pool. I have seen the average weather temps of course but I also know that averages and realistic temps aren't always the same. Also, we are moving from Iowa where we have drastic weather changes and high humidity. This week alone we went from 86 degrees on tuesday to 30 degrees and snowing on thursday and friday, yes snow in may. I have read that the water temps of the ocean make it possible to swim primarily during the summer, maybe as early as may to as late as october. But does the weather allow for swimming in a backyard pool past the summer? Thanks for your help. My husband is disabled and needs to get out of the cold weather and the drastic weather changes for his health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 10:10 PM

12 posts, read 17,572 times
Yes, San Diego is a great place to have an outdoor swimming pool, year round.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:16 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Josline,

Tough question and answers will certainly vary.

I live inland about 12 miles from coastline and bay, right in between the cooler coastal temps and the warmest inland temps.
We have 3 neighbors on our street that have pools. The kids seem to use them from July - Oct-ish. Which can be our warmest months, sometimes sooner or later of course. We tend to get nice bright sunny days throughout those months, but dont have hazy, hot and humid more akin to other summer seasons across the rest of the country.

Yes the ocean temps can get more tolerable in the summer generally speaking but at least from what I have seen there is a window of 45-60 days in the summer where the water temps float between high 60s and low 70s.

I think the micro climates here are probably a better indicator as to whether or not a pool would make sense for you. A good indicator would be to look at houses for sale in the areas you are looking and see if they have pools. I had heard from an agent friend of ours that out here at least, they can be a deal breaker to HAVE one. Whereas maybe in other parts of the country its seen as a bonus to have when selling.

Do you know more specifically where in the southern part of County you would be looking?
Also, in areas such as Otay Ranch or Eastlake, there are HOA/Gated communities that may have a community pool. Is this something you were considering?

Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
We"jumped" into our pool for the first time on Friday. Water was a tad cool, but, certainly refreshing. Can't say I actually thought to look at the water temp. Last year, we were in through Oct...maybe even Nov. we don't cover with a solar blanket or use our heater.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:23 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Ours is solar heated but we don't even fire the pumps until sometime in June and shut down early Nov.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:57 PM

Shmoov - we still have a while before I get finished with grad school and pass my pharmacy boards both in IA and in CA so we have just started looking into good areas. However, based off of location we had thought of the Bonita area. My husband was also thinking of going more east instead of south and looking at El Cajon area. My kids will be off to college themselves by then so it will originally be just the two of us moving. I do know we eventually would like to look into being foster parents so we will be looking for a good neighborhood with access to decent schools. I plan to rent short term when we first get there so we have time to find the right house to buy. I don't like to rush into a big decision like that. We have thought about a HOA/Gated community area with a pool as then we don't have to maintain it. It would just be nice to either have our own or easy access to a relativity private pool as it is highly recommended as therapy exercise for my husband. One of the many things to look into as we make our plans.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:25 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
I think it's worth it if you've got the lot size, but to have a pool take up the whole yard, I wouldn't go for it. Unless its heated you will only get 3-4 mo use. Better to use the money on a roof rack for a surfboard or kayak IMO

Old 05-05-2013, 03:04 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Forget living in San Diego, and think about Arizona, specifically the Phoenix area. You'll have a better chance of finding something affordable with a pool, it gets hot earlier than living here, and stays hot later. You'll have a nice warm pool to use for a longer length of time.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:15 PM

Moved, we did think about Phoenix however my husband's health cannot handle the high temps of AZ. The temperatures of San Diego are the biggest reason for us to move. It is easier to find an indoor pool on cool days than for him to deal with the heat.

I appreciate everyone's response. It gives me a lot to consider as we make plans.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:25 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josline View Post
Moved, we did think about Phoenix however my husband's health cannot handle the high temps of AZ. The temperatures of San Diego are the biggest reason for us to move. It is easier to find an indoor pool on cool days than for him to deal with the heat.

I appreciate everyone's response. It gives me a lot to consider as we make plans.

LOL...I was going to say...."But then she'd have to live in Arizona! Heat is a killer there!
Josline: I am sure with either plumbed in solar or a solar blanket, you'd get more use: ie longer time period, in the use of a pool.
The only problem with HOAs, are their outrageous fees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego