Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 02:46 PM

120 posts, read 210,544 times

Advertisements

I am a young professional, single Asian male in my late 20s. I work from home for the most part so a commute will not be an issue. I state that I am an Asian male because I do not want to live in an area that I would encounter much racism. That said, I also don't care to live in an area where it is primarily Asian.

I would like to be in walking distance of restaurants, bars, shops, etc. I've read a few threads and it seems some ideal spots would be Little Italy, OB, Hillcrest, and PB. My rent limit would be around $1500 (not including utilities), and I prefer to live by myself. I'm not a hipster by any means, nor do I relate with the frat/sorority crowd. I guess what I'm looking for is an area that is primarily young professionals. It wouldn't hurt to have a slight edge in the female-to-male ratio .

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 03:50 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
You might encounter the frat/sorority crowd in PB.

It sounds like you have a good set of neighborhoods to look at. You might add the neighborhoods of North Park and South Park. Mission Valley would provide walking distance to restaurants, bars, shops - but I think it has no soul (it's a sequence of large strip malls interspersed with apartment blocks).

Old 05-31-2013, 04:25 PM

142 posts, read 205,444 times
What is the difference between North & South Park as far as lifestyle?

Old 05-31-2013, 04:45 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,360 times
I haven't seen much, if any, racism against Asians in San Diego. Relatedly, I think Asians make up a healthy proportion of students attending San Diego colleges, so I would imagine even the frat/sor Greek crowd would be amenable. Then again, my day-to-day contact with younger latinos and blacks is limited, so I don't have a grasp on their views.

Does it sound inappropriate to say I think the relationship between Asians and Caucasians is good in San Diego? I regularly see them together all the time, including hanging out, dating, marriage etc. So on that score, I don't see any issue. At all.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:01 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkthetalk View Post
What is the difference between North & South Park as far as lifestyle?
South Park is more expensive in terms of living, much nicer, and more family oriented.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:03 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
San Diego is really an open and diverse city. I think that's one of the best things about the city. Most people seem to be very open and receptive to people from all kinds of racial backgrounds, walks of life and sexual orientation. I have several gay friends and clients and they have never reported any problems or issues whatsoever.

I have several friends of all races here and they all say the same thing that they have never had any problems whatsoever in San Diego.

To the OP, you don't need to worry about racism at all being an Asian male in San Diego. Even in affluent areas you will see plenty of biracial or multiracial couples together. Many of my neighbors are biracial couples. No one could care less.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 05-31-2013 at 05:28 PM..

Old 05-31-2013, 08:33 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times
I doubt you will find any racism in SD, so take your pick of places to live.

San Diego is primarily White and Mexican, but there are a lot of Asians as well.

If you like to cook Asian food or shop in Asian stores, Convoy St in the vicinity of Balboa Ave and Clairemont Mesa Blvd has lots of Asian stores and restaurants. It's probably the highest concentration of Asian stores in all of San Diego County. The area is known as Kearney Mesa.

One of my favorite Asian supermarkets is Zion. Zion just recently moved into a huge building at the corner of Convoy St. and Clairemont Mesa Blvd. They often have excellent prices on their fresh produce.

There are several other large Asian supermarkets in this area including 99 Ranch. Plus lots of Asian restaurants and all other types of stores.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:39 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

San Diego is primarily White and Mexican, but there are a lot of Asians as well.

If you like to cook Asian food or shop in Asian stores, Convoy St in the vicinity of Balboa Ave and Clairemont Mesa Blvd has lots of Asian stores and restaurants. It's probably the highest concentration of Asian stores in all of San Diego County. The area is known as Kearney Mesa.

One of my favorite Asian supermarkets is Zion. Zion just recently moved into a huge building at the corner of Convoy St. and Clairemont Mesa Blvd. They often have excellent prices on their fresh produce.

There are several other large Asian supermarkets in this area including 99 Ranch. Plus lots of Asian restaurants and all other types of stores.

Yep. The H Mart in Mira Mesa is pretty good as well.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:23 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,989,341 times
One of my roommates is Japanese American. We live in PB which definitely has more of a Frat crowd. He's 48 and far from it. Every time I come home during the week or weekend, he's just in front of the t.v.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:12 AM

142 posts, read 205,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

Thanks for the heads up on these markets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: