Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 11:04 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times

Advertisements

We weren't going to go to the fair this year because parking/driving has been such a nightmare the last couple times we went...but we scored some free tickets so I decided to check out the fair's website to see about maybe taking public transportation.

Anyway - on the public transportation page they had information about a "shoppers shuttle"

Quote:
Make a getaway while you're at the Fair—take a break from the kids, from family, from friends, for any reason—by taking the Shopper Shuttle to Del Mar or Solana Beach for a restaurant meal or browsing in fine shops. Make it an opportunity to discover the local flavor! (Plus, you won't lose your parking space, and the shuttle is absolutely free.)

So basically go to the fair, occupy parking space , then take shuttle go shopping/eating out elsewhere? What sort of person does this?

I get it that it can be loud, crowded , hot etc at the fair...but when you've had enough, how 'bout you just leave and let some else have a parking space?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 11:45 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
We weren't going to go to the fair this year because parking/driving has been such a nightmare the last couple times we went...but we scored some free tickets so I decided to check out the fair's website to see about maybe taking public transportation.

Anyway - on the public transportation page they had information about a "shoppers shuttle"

So basically go to the fair, occupy parking space , then take shuttle go shopping/eating out elsewhere? What sort of person does this?

I get it that it can be loud, crowded , hot etc at the fair...but when you've had enough, how 'bout you just leave and let some else have a parking space?
Are you talking about the shuttle between the fair and Solana beach? The shuttle runs both ways, to and from the train station, which is the whole reason it's in service in the first place. What you quoted sounds like it's just Solana Beach Chamber of Commerce trying to parlay it into some extra $$ for their city's economy. I seriously doubt any real number of people would utilize it that way.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:27 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
I'm all for people hopping on at Del Mar and Solana and taking the shuttle to the fair for their own convience and to help elevate some of the traffic and parking issues

But the website didn't say anything about doing that; it encouraged them to do the opposite - Park at the fair then take the hsuttle to shop/dine while keeping your parking space at the fair making it unavailable to other fair-goers. I feel like - if you're not at the fair, your car shouldn't be either!

Old 06-27-2013, 12:33 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Are you talking about the shuttle between the fair and Solana beach? The shuttle runs both ways, to and from the train station, which is the whole reason it's in service in the first place. What you quoted sounds like it's just Solana Beach Chamber of Commerce trying to parlay it into some extra $$ for their city's economy. I seriously doubt any real number of people would utilize it that way.

Exactly. As Jenkay mentioned. NO ONE would want to deal with all that traffic and waste of time just for a free parking spot. LOL. I just can't see that happening.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:44 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 795,495 times
Is parking in downtown Del Mar or Solana Beach really so bad that people would pay $10-$20 dollars to park at the Fair and take a shuttle over and back - especially Southern Californias who break out in a cold sweat if they are ever more than 300' from their car? The only people who would do this are folks who went to the Fair, need a break, but still have family/friends at the Fair - otherwise they would just leave and park again in DM or SB.

Not to say I'm one of THOSE nasty people . . . but there's also another school thought . . . if I've shelled out $10-$20 for the privilege of parking somewhere, I've rented it for the day (or whatever time period). If I'm still in the area, why would I give it up? Nice guys finish last, and all that . . .

Old 06-27-2013, 01:50 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschibuola View Post
Is parking in downtown Del Mar or Solana Beach really so bad that people would pay $10-$20 dollars to park at the Fair and take a shuttle over and back - especially Southern Californias who break out in a cold sweat if they are ever more than 300' from their car? The only people who would do this are folks who went to the Fair, need a break, but still have family/friends at the Fair - otherwise they would just leave and park again in DM or SB.

Not to say I'm one of THOSE nasty people . . . but there's also another school thought . . . if I've shelled out $10-$20 for the privilege of parking somewhere, I've rented it for the day (or whatever time period). If I'm still in the area, why would I give it up? Nice guys finish last, and all that . . .
No it's not. I go to Del Mar several times per week and almost always able to find a parking spot FREE on the street. Up near the post office you only have 2 hour parking but you can go into the residential neighborhoods near there or also down below near the lifeguard station around those various streets and typically find a free spot.

As well they have paid parking that isn't too much behind the post office. They also have that parking garage on Camino del Mar (Del Mar Plaza) that you can get validated at a few places.

I just don't see this as a problem at all.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:58 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,854,001 times
I don't know. I could see people maybe needing a break from the noise and dust and crowds at the Fair and wanting to go grab a healthy salad at a nice bistro in Solana Beach or Del Mar and do some window shopping instead of eating a deep-fried Twinkie. It can be a long day at the Fair if you get there early and stay late.
No offense, but I think the OP is making a whole lot outta nothin.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:58 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Just go to the horsey grounds and take the buses. Who wants to deal with the mess of getting in and out of the fair? Gnarly.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:04 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,854,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Just go to the horsey grounds and take the buses. Who wants to deal with the mess of getting in and out of the fair? Gnarly.
Or better yet, MiraCosta College in Cardiff. Less crowds than at Horse Park, super convenient. Parking at the Fairgrounds is for suckers! haha

Old 06-27-2013, 03:04 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Or better yet, MiraCosta College in Cardiff. Less crowds than at Horse Park, super convenient. Parking at the Fairgrounds is for suckers! haha
^^ This
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego