Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:29 PM

241 posts, read 429,400 times

Advertisements

I did donate most of my winter clothes to Goodwill before I left Philly. Think I kept about two light jackets. Iam in the 92154 area . How often I might have to use heat at night. Of course in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 09:29 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI BOUND 37 View Post
I did donate most of my winter clothes to Goodwill before I left Philly. Think I kept about two light jackets. Iam in the 92154 area . How often I might have to use heat at night. Of course in the winter.
The closer you live to the coast, the better the year round temps.

As you travel further from the coast, the temps become both hotter in the summer and colder in the winter.

In desert regions like Santee and El Cajon, it gets very hot during the summer. Temps can climb into the 90s and higher.

And in mountain regions like Julian, you can even get snow. Temps can drop into the 20s.

But near the coast, the temps usually remain a comfortable 40F - 80F all year round.

And it hardly ever rains between March and November. The only significant rain happens during the winter months.

The vast majority of days between March and November are both warm and sunny.

We really do have the best year round weather in the entire continental U.S.

Last edited by RD5050; 07-08-2013 at 09:40 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 10:40 PM

241 posts, read 429,400 times
That's why I love San Diego.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:52 AM

40 posts, read 120,577 times
Moving in 17 days from northern Kentucky and we're incredibly excited. We're also donating LOADS of clothing, snow shovels, gloves, ski hats, etc. I'll be working from home and recently came to the realization that I'll be able to wear shorts and a tee shirt almost every day (should be doable as we're looking at living in a beach community). Excited really doesn't adequately capture the way I feel right now .

Old 07-09-2013, 06:53 AM

99 posts, read 162,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

As you travel further from the coast, the temps become both hotter in the summer and colder in the winter.

In desert regions like Santee and El Cajon, it gets very hot during the summer. Temps can climb into the 90s and higher.

And in mountain regions like Julian, you can even get snow. Temps can drop into the 20s.

But near the coast, the temps usually remain a comfortable 40F - 80F all year round.

And it hardly ever rains between March and November. The only significant rain happens during the winter months.

Good Morning...How about the weather in Temecula? Wish I could afford closer to the coast however coming from Iowa (hopefully by Oct) I will take any Calif weather

Old 07-09-2013, 09:17 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virg1123 View Post

Good Morning...How about the weather in Temecula? Wish I could afford closer to the coast however coming from Iowa (hopefully by Oct) I will take any Calif weather
Temecula is inland, so the bad news is that you'll have hot summers.

The good news is that you won't have Iowa winters!

Old 07-09-2013, 11:30 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

RD5050 is spot on here.
Generally speaking, the variance between highs and lows dont go too far out along the coast. We prefer the drier, slightly warmer and cooler temps being not too far inland.

Speaking of which, had an interesting observation this weekend. We spent some time scouting Encinitas, Cardiff and RSF this past weekend.
The weather is actually much different over there vs where we live. I am fairly certain wind patterns and such played a role, but literally at 1pm the marine layer stopped right at the 5 like a wall was there and it was bright and sunny on the other side of the 5.
However where we live, there were scattered clouds going south west to Coronado most of the day up until we left, 30 mins before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virg1123 View Post

Temecula and that part of of southwest Riverside County is considered High Desert micro climate. We have a property in that area (Murrieta) and for example, this week temps were BRUTAL.
Yesterday it was over 100 which for this time of the year is somewhat unseasonable. Those temps generally come around August-October.
However, the good news is that the mornings and evenings can be VERY nice. Dry with very cool breezes (if you are west of the 15.) This is one of the reasons viticulture has grown in size in the Temecula Valley. Hot days and cool mornings/nights.

I have a retired relative living in that house right now and from the east coast. So far happy as a clam getting ~9 months of incredible year round weather.
If that type of moderate climate is what you seek, then Temecula should be a good solution for you. Its not as moderate as being closer to the water, but certainly not as extreme in seasons as Iowa (I imagine.)

Old 07-09-2013, 11:39 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post

Speaking of which, had an interesting observation this weekend. We spent some time scouting Encinitas, Cardiff and RSF this past weekend.

The weather is actually much different over there vs where we live. I am fairly certain wind patterns and such played a role, but literally at 1pm the marine layer stopped right at the 5 like a wall was there and it was bright and sunny on the other side of the 5.
However where we live, there were scattered clouds going south west to Coronado most of the day up until we left, 30 mins before.

You mean like this:

(Photo taken on El Camino Real / San Dieguito Road while I was in the car)

LOL. Yeah, it's always like that over here. That's why we love living just a few miles inland. We still enjoy the really great weather that isn't too hot but we totally avoid the marine layering of Del Mar. It's literally like you say Shmoov. It's like a foggy curtain wall right at I-5. Where you go on one side and it's all foggy and the other clear blue skies and totally sunny.

That was actually taken a day when we left our house to go to the beach in Del Mar and figured it couldn't be too bad over there. Well, we get there and we literally can barely see it's so fogged in so we headed back to go to the pool at home. LOL.

Love, love, love the area.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:34 PM

99 posts, read 162,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
RD5050 is spot on here.
Generally speaking, the variance between highs and lows dont go too far out along the coast. We prefer the drier, slightly warmer and cooler temps being not too far inland.

Temecula and that part of of southwest Riverside County is considered High Desert micro climate. We have a property in that area (Murrieta) and for example, this week temps were BRUTAL.
Yesterday it was over 100 which for this time of the year is somewhat unseasonable. Those temps generally come around August-October.
However, the good news is that the mornings and evenings can be VERY nice. Dry with very cool breezes (if you are west of the 15.) This is one of the reasons viticulture has grown in size in the Temecula Valley. Hot days and cool mornings/nights.

I have a retired relative living in that house right now and from the east coast. So far happy as a clam getting ~9 months of incredible year round weather.
If that type of moderate climate is what you seek, then Temecula should be a good solution for you. Its not as moderate as being closer to the water, but certainly not as extreme in seasons as Iowa (I imagine.)
Oh yes the extremes in weather here can be maddening. Lived here for 17yrs...East coast originally..Anyway thank you for the info I greatly appreciate it..good thing to know about living west of 15....I was looking into an apt that was not only East of 15 but East of 215...Better recheck.. Thanks again .....I am very very happy I found this forum otherwise might have to spend another 17yrs in Iowa, Its a nice state..really but the weather is too much for me to handle any longer.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:05 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI BOUND 37 View Post
Thanks guys for making me feel so welcome. It feels like a dream that come true. Can't believe it won't rain for the next few months. When I left Philly there were thunderstorms everyday (won't be missing that) smile. The weather alone will keep me here.
The jinx was on Cali Bound. This rain is a nice change of pace for a day though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego