Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 05:25 PM

434 posts, read 988,520 times

Advertisements

I don't think it is as bad, due to HOV lanes, I guess. My wife was working in Mission Valley for a bit (9 to 5er) and got home to San Marcos in under an hour (and not 58 minutes). We were pretty surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 02:05 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,913,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InventingJoy View Post
I live in Clairemont Mesa or East Clairemont. Kind of a blue collar area. I'm near 805 & 52. I work from home too. I think you get more square footage for your buck in this area. Its neat Tecolote canyon for hiking , 10 minutes from the beach. 20 minutes from the border. 10 minutes from downtown. Schools as good as any Ca. schools. Check out Zillow or Trulia for crime. Try to get a house on a cul de sac, is quiet & safe. 3 bedroom house approx 1,000sq ft between 1,500 & 2,000. Apartments less. I don't know your type of work, but for me, its very close to cpu repairs, Home Depot, Grocery stores, Drug stores, Office Depot, Staples, Several UPS type stores. Its next to Kearny Mesa which has almost all the business's I need to support my business. We have a Clairemont Chamber of Comerce to meet people & network. So for low cost, central area, you might like Clairemont Mesa. Let me know when you arrive. Puppy love from InventingJoy & Furry folk

I hate when people use that line. Sales people do it, people buying/selling homes do it, people trying to push some agenda do it, ads on craigslist, and so on. It's not just an SD thing either. It's just kind of annoying. When somebody likes to point out "we are close to everything" it usually means you aren't actually near anything. And it's SD, pretty much anybody could say they are 10-15 minutes from a beach. Except most of the time they aren't due to traffic, parking, and everything else.

There are times it might take 20+ minutes to get to the actual Del Mar beach and park and I live about a mile from the damn beach. But not every road goes to the beach or has parking and that doesn't count that sometimes there is tons of traffic. And this exists for all the beaches. OB, MB, PB, and so on have traffic, have pain in the behind parking issues at certain times and so on. So really if you want to get to PB and take Balboa ave, there are times when it'll take you 20+ minutes to do so. And then the hassle of actually finding parking close enough to walk to the beach.

I've learned over the years that "close to everything" kind of places are really just places where there isn't much going on where you live. AKA people who live in Del Mar don't say "we are 5 minutes from this or that." When you have to say "close to this or that" what's that actually say about where you live? For me, saying good things about a place for various reasons is a reason to sell it. Saying it's close to other areas is just not a selling point to me.

Because at the end of the day, most people tend to spend a lot of their time around the areas they live. I'm not going shopping at the beach if I live 20 minutes away from it. So little trips to a plaza or mall or coffee shop become a part of my life. The people I become friends with in my area, the people I interact with on a daily basis, and so on become my life. And this happens everywhere. If i live in Poway, I most likely spend a lot of my time in Poway. If I hated Poway, why would i really want to buy a house and live there? Same goes for Del Mar or Clairemont or Temecula or San Marcos and so on. It's great to be within a short driving distance to someplace else, but there are many days where I just want to chill where I live. If it becomes more about "i'm close to this and that and that, but not that close" I'm probably not going to like living there.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:25 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
I hate when people use that line. Sales people do it, people buying/selling homes do it, people trying to push some agenda do it, ads on craigslist, and so on. It's not just an SD thing either. It's just kind of annoying. When somebody likes to point out "we are close to everything" it usually means you aren't actually near anything. And it's SD, pretty much anybody could say they are 10-15 minutes from a beach. Except most of the time they aren't due to traffic, parking, and everything else.

There are times it might take 20+ minutes to get to the actual Del Mar beach and park and I live about a mile from the damn beach. But not every road goes to the beach or has parking and that doesn't count that sometimes there is tons of traffic. And this exists for all the beaches. OB, MB, PB, and so on have traffic, have pain in the behind parking issues at certain times and so on. So really if you want to get to PB and take Balboa ave, there are times when it'll take you 20+ minutes to do so. And then the hassle of actually finding parking close enough to walk to the beach.

I've learned over the years that "close to everything" kind of places are really just places where there isn't much going on where you live. AKA people who live in Del Mar don't say "we are 5 minutes from this or that." When you have to say "close to this or that" what's that actually say about where you live? For me, saying good things about a place for various reasons is a reason to sell it. Saying it's close to other areas is just not a selling point to me.

Because at the end of the day, most people tend to spend a lot of their time around the areas they live. I'm not going shopping at the beach if I live 20 minutes away from it. So little trips to a plaza or mall or coffee shop become a part of my life. The people I become friends with in my area, the people I interact with on a daily basis, and so on become my life. And this happens everywhere. If i live in Poway, I most likely spend a lot of my time in Poway. If I hated Poway, why would i really want to buy a house and live there? Same goes for Del Mar or Clairemont or Temecula or San Marcos and so on. It's great to be within a short driving distance to someplace else, but there are many days where I just want to chill where I live. If it becomes more about "i'm close to this and that and that, but not that close" I'm probably not going to like living there.
In short, you dont like bedroom communities or living outside the grid. Because folks in Julian certainly arent 20mins to anything. Its burb after burb, this fact hasnt changed in San Diego in the 10 years I have lived here. Has it for you?

We also havent heard back from the OP since.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:05 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
In short, you dont like bedroom communities or living outside the grid. Because folks in Julian certainly arent 20mins to anything. Its burb after burb, this fact hasnt changed in San Diego in the 10 years I have lived here. Has it for you?

We also havent heard back from the OP since.
I agree. I know suburban living isn't for a LOT of people but if you have kids, IMHO some of these Northern suburbs are not only some of the best areas to live in San Diego but I'd say the entire USA (and possibly world). And I've been to just about every single state in the USA as well as all over the world.

I know many many people that live in this area and I know they are like me and wouldn't choose to live anywhere else. Contrary to what some people say about traffic in SD, I think it's really not bad. I don't just hang out in my area. I have friends all over the place and we're always out and about. I guess if I was mostly hanging out in local strip malls or coffee shops maybe I'd have a different attitude but I really don't think it's bad at all. I'm always meeting up for lunch/dinner with my friends downtown or Encinitas, Del Mar, La Jolla, Carlsbad. It's really not bad at all and everything is so spread out.

But sure, I love just chilling out in my area as well. For most people raising families, living out in some of these suburbs is pretty close to perfect as possible. Our friends that have young kids that can comfortably afford their homes really love the suburban living and probably couldn't imagine anything else.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:31 PM

788 posts, read 1,877,453 times
Quote:
I think "close to" phrases are a huge factor worth consideration and do not have nearly as many negative implications of the actual property location as you suggest.

For example, my ideal home is 4+ miles from the beach, but definitely not on the coast. I would love to visit whenever I want, but definitely would not want to deal with the marine layer so often. So I would be looking for an advertisement of "less than 20 minutes to the beach".

OR

I would love to be close to outlet malls, but definitely don't want to be close to San Ysidro.

OR

I would love to have easy access to cheap medical care in Mexico once I retire, but I don't want to live IN mexico.

People choose their neighborhood because it best fits their needs/limitations and less because of the "close to" advertisement. Realtors mention these because they hope it will match a potential buyer's needs and priorities.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:56 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
If you choose North County and work in San Diego, the drive will be a nightmare. I used to live in Vista and did that drive. After 8 years I had 160,000 miles on my car (fortunately it was an excellent car with no problems) and the commute in the morning took around an hour.

Coming home was another story. Fridays took 2 hours most of the time and that was carpooling. By yourself it will be worse. I took the train for a while and that was less stressful. However, it will take an hour and a half and, depending on where you work require the coaster, trolley and a bus.

The closer you are to work the better. IMO it's better to drive a little farther to whatever recreation areas you want than to have to face the traffic everyday.

I now live 2 miles from work and love it.
Krachel will be working from home, so there will be no commute. IMO a North County location would be a good place to raise kids, because you can still explore San Diego and the area hiking parks/beaches on the weekend and are also closer to Orange County which makes a trip to Disneyland easier. They also have a pro hockey team which SD does not have (the Ducks) if you want to catch a game. Torrey Pines Park between La Jolla and Del Mar is worth checking out for a hike.

Krachel, not having to commute gives you more options than most people have. Good luck with your move!

Old 12-18-2013, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 2,961 times
I have job opportunities in these areas so please don't suggest others. Out of theseoway.Carlsbad.vista.escondido.San Marcos.encinitas.national city.chula vista.la mesa.el cajon.and santee.
Which has fairly decent rent for a apartment,has everything you need like the mall and grocery stores so I won't have to drive far for it,and is safe.It being walkable is a plus but not a must. I'm 21 but I Dont care for bars,clubs,partying,a lot of stuff people my age do.I like nature,parks,walking,and my grocery store and mall being near and I am set. So which is the best? Thanks

Old 12-18-2013, 10:36 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkitten View Post
I have job opportunities in these areas so please don't suggest others. Out of theseoway.Carlsbad.vista.escondido.San Marcos.encinitas.national city.chula vista.la mesa.el cajon.and santee.
Which has fairly decent rent for a apartment,has everything you need like the mall and grocery stores so I won't have to drive far for it,and is safe.It being walkable is a plus but not a must. I'm 21 but I Dont care for bars,clubs,partying,a lot of stuff people my age do.I like nature,parks,walking,and my grocery store and mall being near and I am set. So which is the best? Thanks
All of them will have at least some rental which is close to shopping as long as you choose to live close to the shopping.

National City and the west part of Chula Vista are a bit sketchy as far as safety, so I'd cross them off your list (east part of Chula Vista is fine). La Mesa and El Cajon are block-to-block for safety but have some nice blocks, so look there and check back here when you are considering specific addresses. In Vista, stay south of the 78. In Escondido, avoid the center of town except maybe for "Old Escondido".

All the places you list will have some decently-priced rentals, and some will have indecently-priced rentals. You just need to choose how much is 'decent'.

What will your commute be? Since all those areas (except as mentioned) are candidates, maybe that's another good criteria to prioritize your list.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:09 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
Quote:
When somebody likes to point out "we are close to everything" it usually means you aren't actually near anything. And it's SD, pretty much anybody could say they are 10-15 minutes from a beach. Except most of the time they aren't due to traffic, parking, and everything else.
So true! I challenge anyone who says they live "10-15 minutes from the beach" to time themselves and see how long it actually takes to get from their front door to sitting on a beach towel in front of some waves. And then send me your time and details of what all was actually involved.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:28 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
So true! I challenge anyone who says they live "10-15 minutes from the beach" to time themselves and see how long it actually takes to get from their front door to sitting on a beach towel in front of some waves. And then send me your time and details of what all was actually involved.
I'd be tempted to take you up on that. We're a straight shot across Highway 56 from RP to Torrey Pines Beach. Except the reality is, once we get to the beach it's at least 10-15 minutes to find a parking space (we refuse to pay the exhorbitant State Parks rate).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego