Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 11:57 AM

4 posts, read 5,921 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody on the SD forum, I am new to the california forum in general. I'd like to know if anyone can help me out with being able to live in the San Diego area. I have the opportunity to work at a financial firm (I cannot say which one) in the Mergers & Acquisitions analyst position. I am somewhat familiar with the San Diego area as I have family there. But have not been in about 6 years. I will be graduating from the University of Michigan soon and need to know is around 50k annually live able in La Jolla area San Diego? I will have about 41k in student debt, so any recs and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

-R&ROver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 02:02 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
You're not going to want to live in La Jolla on $50k unless you rent a room in a house or something. You said you wanted advice so here it is: Forget living at the beach, move inland where it is cheaper, and use the savings to pay off your mountain of student debt. Don't worry, you can still drive to the beach in 15 minutes but you'll pay half the rent.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:04 PM

People don't seem to understand that for most of the last decade La Jolla was one of the most expensive zip codes in the country because lots of extremely wealthy people want to live there.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:11 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,913,698 times
If you want to live near the beach, OB, MB, PB are places where you might find cheap places. But you'll need a roommate or two. And that is one of those things. Sometimes you move into a place where it's more like you're renting a room and the other roommates have been there for a long time. Sometimes you move into a place where it's a revolving door of roommates. So it depends. But it would be hard to find your own cheap place near the beaches.

The beaches are never going to be that cheap. So while $50K per year is a nice salary for a young recent grad, you also have nice student loan dept, a new life, new expenses, and an apartment, you have to realize you won't be living the high life in La Jolla.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:01 PM

The cheapest beach front place (but least conviniently located wrt the rest of the city) is Imperial Beach right near the border. The Tijuana river comes out there though so often the water is polluted with raw sewage as the Mexicans just dump is all untreated into the river which then empties out into the ocean at IB.

You can get a studio near the beach for $900-$1000 a month there though.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:09 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,346,539 times
if student loan debt is all you have, you'll be fine. Its not like you have to pay 42k all at once. My student loan debt has been easy to deal with vs. consumer debts

Old 08-06-2013, 06:35 PM

I appreciate the responses I've been getting thanks everybody. Really the only main reason why I want to live in La Jolla is because it is close to work, thats why. After growing up in suburban Detroit my whole life driving everywhere, then going to school in Ann Arbor, MI where I rarely touched my steering wheel. I do not at anytime soon want to go back to commuting long distances. I did not know La Jolla was expensive like that?? How are commute times to La Jolla to other areas? Is there a neighborhood that has recent college (23-30yrs old) graduates? Is there a dense walkable neighborhood? Is the driving as bad as LA? Again thanks everybody for the responses. Keep 'em coming!

R&ROver.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:53 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
What's your rental budget?

Old 08-06-2013, 07:02 PM

21 posts, read 31,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The cheapest beach front place (but least conviniently located wrt the rest of the city) is Imperial Beach right near the border. The Tijuana river comes out there though so often the water is polluted with raw sewage as the Mexicans just dump is all untreated into the river which then empties out into the ocean at IB.

You can get a studio near the beach for $900-$1000 a month there though.
You don't even need to go that far. You can live in PB or MB for that same price

Old 08-06-2013, 07:52 PM

Mollie.Donovan; PB? MB?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego