Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is San Diego the best city for pizza in America?
Yes 6 18.18%
No 18 54.55%
maybe in the top 10 but not number 1 9 27.27%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:45 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,936 times

Advertisements

Beating out cities on the East Coast like New York and Boston, Trip Advisor has crunched the numbers and San Diego leads the country in the best pizza.

Quote:
NEWTON, Mass. - TripAdvisor announced Wednesday that San Diego was named the best city for pizza in the U.S. based on reviews and opinions from the travel site's extensive community of visitors.

According to the company, the top spots were determined based on the highest average rating by city for all restaurants that serve pizza.

1. San Diego, California

Those traveling to seaside SoCal can enjoy authentic tastes of Italy just miles from the Mexican border. With more than 100 nearby pizzerias, those with an appetite can grab a slice at Bronx, Filippi’s, or Golden Hill’s Pizzeria Luigi where mouthwatering toppings include sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, and homemade meatballs. A TripAdvisor traveler commented, “The pizza was just as good as being home in New York.”
More here: 10News - San Diego named best city for pizza in US by TripAdvisor community - 10News.com - News

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 12:53 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,935 times
I saw this on 10news as well. Its quite funny actually when it has San Diego at #1 and THEN uses a quote like this:
A TripAdvisor traveler commented, “The pizza was just as good as being home in New York.”

Pizza is fine here and we have lots of different choices and styles to choose from.

http://www.10news.com/news/san-diego...munity08072013

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 08-07-2013 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: link added

Old 08-07-2013, 02:13 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,807,596 times
I will give San Diego its Microbrews. I have had good experience with seafood and sushi as well. But Pizza?

I almost fell out of my chair when I read "authentic tastes of Italy".

Bronx Pizza is good- but I'm not traveling down to SD to get it.
Fillipis? I like cheese with my pizza but they go a bit overboard- has anyone here tried to re-heat a Fillipis pie- put a bowl under the pizza the grease is unreal.
I've never had Pizzeria Luigi- may try it now.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:20 PM

434 posts, read 988,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I will give San Diego its Microbrews. I have had good experience with seafood and sushi as well. But Pizza?

I almost fell out of my chair when I read "authentic tastes of Italy".

Bronx Pizza is good- but I'm not traveling down to SD to get it.
Fillipis? I like cheese with my pizza but they go a bit overboard- has anyone here tried to re-heat a Fillipis pie- put a bowl under the pizza the grease is unreal.
I've never had Pizzeria Luigi- may try it now.
Ha. Blue Ribbon in Encinitas has good thin crust. I haven't traveled anywhere near enough to have an educated POV on the subject. My parents go to Italy every other year and search out these little places. They thought Blue Ribbon was solid, but I could tell they were a little underwhelmed after hearing my raves. I'll have to try some of those other places.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:51 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSDLifer View Post
Ha. Blue Ribbon in Encinitas has good thin crust. I haven't traveled anywhere near enough to have an educated POV on the subject. My parents go to Italy every other year and search out these little places. They thought Blue Ribbon was solid, but I could tell they were a little underwhelmed after hearing my raves. I'll have to try some of those other places.

Yep. I just had a GREAT pizza at Blue Ribbon in Encinitas and I thought it was GREAT. Also, last night I went to Buona Forchetta in South Park and they had some pretty good pizza as well! Buonaforchettasd

I'm not sure if I'd say San Diego has the best pizza in the USA but they have some pretty good places.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:57 PM

434 posts, read 988,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Yep. I just had a GREAT pizza at Blue Ribbon in Encinitas and I thought it was GREAT. Also, last night I went to Buona Forchetta in South Park and they had some pretty good pizza as well! Buonaforchettasd

I'm not sure if I'd say San Diego has the best pizza in the USA but they have some pretty good places.
Early,

I'm with ya. Guess I was trying not to sound too fanboy-ish, but it's one of my favorite places to eat. (But I'm not a sophisticated diner, either. No sea urchin or organ stews on this guy's table.)

Old 08-07-2013, 03:42 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,940,353 times
No effin way

Old 08-07-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSDLifer View Post
Early,

I'm with ya. Guess I was trying not to sound too fanboy-ish, but it's one of my favorite places to eat. (But I'm not a sophisticated diner, either. No sea urchin or organ stews on this guy's table.)

Nope. You didn't sound fan boyish at all. Funny your timing as I was just raving last night to another Citydata member about Blue Ribbon. He actually is the one that suggested it in Hillcrest (where they don't have Pizza).

I've had totally decent pizza here in San Diego at several places. I also like the pizza at Basic - Basic Pizza | San Diego Pizza Kitchen | Bar near Petco Park

Heck, even "fast food" type pizza at Urban Pi - Urban Pi I think is totally decent.

Funny as my friend last night was mentioning Luigi's was on some food show on HGTV so I'll have to check it out.

If you go to Buona Forchetta, just make sure to ask them to SKIP the spinach on the fennel sausage pizza. It makes the crust all soggy which isn't good. But I had a slice of my friend's spicy pepperoni pizza and it was really amazing with perfect crust.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:52 PM

808 posts, read 1,879,365 times
I wouldn't trust Tripadvisor's reviews as far as I can throw them, but it's cool to SD getting some love. I'm sure it'll rile up NY and Chicago elitists who think only their cities have good pizza.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
I wouldn't trust Tripadvisor's reviews as far as I can throw them, but it's cool to SD getting some love. I'm sure it'll rile up NY and Chicago elitists who think only their cities have good pizza.

The thing is that SD often times gets a lot of badmouthing how poor the restaurants are here. But I'd have to disagree. As someone that goes out to different restaurants probably a good 5 times each and every week, there are tons and tons of restaurants here.

While I agree that rarely have I finished a meal and just thought it was exquisite and really amazing, almost never have I came out of a restaurant and thought it was just outright bad. So many options here with good food. I'm always out and about constantly trying to try new places in different neighborhoods. You could hit a new place everyday for years on end and not repeat and the vast majority were totally decent to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego