Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 08:37 AM

15 posts, read 16,726 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are moving to San Diego in January, and I wanted to ask about the best/favorite areas to live, based on a bit of our information:

- Combined income of $100K
- Interested in apartments/renting a small house/duplexes/condos (not buying)
- We don't have kids and don't plan on it
- It doesn't have to be walking distance from the beach
- Monthly rental cap of about $1500

We're coming from Dallas, and I'm *so* ready for this change, as I've lived in said city for all of my years. The economy in Texas is great, and I'm well aware that all costs are about to go up, but the change is needed. Any help is much appreciated!

PS - While I definitely think San Diego is the nicer city between there and LA, I lost the battle of the city to which to move. I'm a musician/actor/basketball-fan, and as pretty as SD is, I'm just a tinge bitter about it. If you feel like throwing in a glowing endorsement of SD over LA, feel free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 08:53 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
I guess I'm confused - does either of you have a job lined up here? What most people consider SD is huge.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I guess I'm confused - does either of you have a job lined up here? What most people consider SD is huge.
She will be transferring for her job, and it's likely that I will be looking. Her two options, as far as location of her company, are in the La Jolla Village and Mission Valley areas. In other words, I'll likely be the one who drives a greater distance to my job.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:21 AM

I've heard about the following areas from a relative:

- North Park
- Normal Heights
- University Heights
- Hillcrest
- Poway
- Santee

I think the last two aren't SD proper, but that they're still pretty nice.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:48 AM

6,506 posts, read 7,538,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungleweeb View Post
I've heard about the following areas from a relative:

- North Park
- Normal Heights
- University Heights
- Hillcrest
- Poway
- Santee

I think the last two aren't SD proper, but that they're still pretty nice.
Your top 4 will be great if you like an urban lifestyle in a convenient central location, there are lots of chic cafes, bars, and parks. If she works at the Mission Valley office you mentioned, these neighborhoods will be super convenient and wouldn't require using the freeway. You sound younger so these might be up your alley if you are looking for fun lifestyle, especially if you were hoping for LA, it sounds like you might like the action of the mid-city life.

Poway and Santee, I would only advise moving there if you are renting and working near those areas...or if you are a family guy looking to buy a home. They are not far from La Jolla and Mission Valley but they aren't close either, but I believe if you are renting you should live closer to work, no reason to commute if you are renting. They are also a little more quiet and sleepy, Poways a little bit country and Santee a little more sub-urban.

You might look in Ja Jolla-UTC area as well as that is one of her options for work.

I am a huge fan of the NBA (GO SPURS GO) and am also a Texas transplant. I was a little bummed that SD does not have a team, but the day trips up to LA to watch my team at the Staples Center are always fun and I can make it home after a night game in 1 hour and a half (usually before mid-night), getting up there always takes longer because of the day-time traffic. If you are a MAVS fan, remember, they will play in LA 4 times a year (twice for Clippers and twice for Lakers) and the Lakers tickets are always MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE.

Last edited by malcorub16; 10-09-2013 at 12:28 PM..

Old 10-09-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post

You might look in Ja Jolla-UTC area as well as that is one of her options for work.
Ja Jolla should be La Jolla, sorry for the typo OP. Most people here know what I mean but an outsider just might go searching around for Ja Jolla and never find it.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Your top 4 will be great if you like an urban lifestyle in a convenient central location, there are lots of chic cafes, bars, and parks. If she works at the Mission Valley office you mentioned, these neighborhoods will be super convenient and wouldn't require using the freeway. You sound younger so these might be up your alley if you are looking for fun lifestyle, especially if you were hoping for LA, it sounds like you might like the action of the mid-city life.

Poway and Santee, I would only advise moving there if you are renting and working near those areas...or if you are a family guy looking to buy a home. They are not far from La Jolla and Mission Valley but they aren't close either, but I believe if you are renting you should live closer to work, no reason to commute if you are renting. They are also a little more quiet and sleepy, Poways a little bit country and Santee a little more sub-urban.

I am a huge fan of the NBA (GO SPURS GO) and am also a Texas transplant. I was a little bummed that SD does not have a team, but the day trips up to LA to watch my team at the Staples Center are always fun and I can make it home after a night game in 1 hour and a half (usually before mid-night), getting up there always takes longer because of the day-time traffic. If you are a MAVS fan, remember, they will play in LA 4 times a year (twice for Clippers and twice for Lakers) and the Lakers tickets are always MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE.
Thanks very much for the input, malcorub! Yes, I'm a Mavs fan, and I'll be seeing Clips games, as I can't stand Kobe's stupid face. ...and I'll forgive you for being a Spurs fan.

I hadn't heard of UTC before your post, so we'll definitely give that area a look when we're there in December to find a place.

I've actually been to Poway, and it seems like a decent little town, but I definitely prefer the urban stuff.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungleweeb View Post
Thanks very much for the input, malcorub! Yes, I'm a Mavs fan, and I'll be seeing Clips games, as I can't stand Kobe's stupid face. ...and I'll forgive you for being a Spurs fan.

I hadn't heard of UTC before your post, so we'll definitely give that area a look when we're there in December to find a place.

I've actually been to Poway, and it seems like a decent little town, but I definitely prefer the urban stuff.
Poway is very nice in my opinion, my sister in law rents there so I know there are plenty of apartments for rent in that town. Its just kinda quiet and boring, especially if you are younger and want some action. But don't let me discourage you.

Mission Valley itself also has rentals, but the further east in MV you live, the more SDSU kids you will live by. That could be a plus or minus depending on your point of view.

As far as NBA, I was bummed for selfish reasons when the Sacramento Kings decided to stay in Sacramento versus moving to Anaheim. Had they moved to the Honda Center in Anaheim, we would have had 6 games per season to see our teams here in SoCal versus just 4 and not have to drive as far.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:34 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
We live in Mission Valley and pay $1860 for a 2 bed 2 bath apartment. A 1 bed 1 bath runs $1445-1525 I'm my complex. It's pretty quiet here and management is pretty good.

There are many new apartments in Mission Valley, but they run $2500-2800.

I work in Mission Valley and obviously the commute is great. Living in MV or any of your top four will have you centrally located to most anything downtown and most shopping.

The issues in MV is you are close to the stadium and football season traffic can be crazy plus certain roads flood in heavy rain.

A plus for MV is the trolley station is here.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post

A plus for MV is the trolley station is here.
Living in those apartment/condo's along the San Diego River seems like it would be pretty cool, plus the trolley stops all through there.

My office is over by Dave n Busters. I jog over to the river path (not as as much as I should) during lunch breaks or after work and I see that there are apartment buildings all up and down the river. A former co-worker of mine used to puts-puts-puts to work everyday on his stand up motorized scooter that he would ride on the side-walk. He lived over in the apartments along the river close to the On The Border Grill, so it was super convenient for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego