Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 08:20 PM

31 posts, read 89,322 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how much a car costs annually (or monthly) in San Diego to keep it licensed and insured (no financing, bought outright). I assume car insurance and vehicle licensing/registration is all you need (apart from gas)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 09:30 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Depends on the age and make of the vehicle, and the level of insurance you want to hold. You could probably contact any of the insurance companies and get quotes.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:04 PM

Just looking for a ballpark. And not just insurance, but registration. I assume you have to pay this to California DMV? Not sure how things work here...

Old 10-13-2013, 10:17 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Registration is comparatively expensive. Depends on the vehicle...value, weight, age, type. Can be $100, can be $1000. So a ballpark isn't possible .

Old 10-13-2013, 10:34 PM

Let's say a small car for around $10,000 like a 2012 Toyota Yaris.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:23 AM

I found a calculator for determining registration on the DMV site (https://www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculator...VehicleForm.do) but I'm a bit confused. You have to know the VIN or license plate number already for a used car. But if you are just trying to find out a ballpark, and haven't bought anything, you won't know that. For a new car, you can get a figure (https://www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculator...VehicleForm.do), but they add sales tax. I assume there is also a yearly figure you pay to renew registration? Would that be just the registration fee minus any sales tax given on the new car page, which would not be very much (about $200 for the example car I input) or are there additional fees you pay on top of that?

Old 10-14-2013, 10:06 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Registration is comparatively expensive. Depends on the vehicle...value, weight, age, type. Can be $100, can be $1000. So a ballpark isn't possible .
This.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:37 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorky132 View Post
I found a calculator for determining registration on the DMV site (https://www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculator...VehicleForm.do) but I'm a bit confused. You have to know the VIN or license plate number already for a used car. But if you are just trying to find out a ballpark, and haven't bought anything, you won't know that. For a new car, you can get a figure (https://www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculator...VehicleForm.do), but they add sales tax. I assume there is also a yearly figure you pay to renew registration? Would that be just the registration fee minus any sales tax given on the new car page, which would not be very much (about $200 for the example car I input) or are there additional fees you pay on top of that?
Yes, you will pay your registration fee every year. You will only pay the tax once...when bought new in the state, or when you bring a car into the state.
California Car Registration Guide - Renewals, Changing States, New Vehicle Purchases, Non Operational at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

Old 10-15-2013, 10:37 PM

158 posts, read 296,756 times
If California is like Maryland, you pay some standard fees for reqistration and tags. Plus you have to pay sales taxes on the original cost of your vehicle equal to Maryalnd's 6% sales tax base. For example: You bought the car in another state for $20,000 and the sales tax was 4%. At purchase you paid $800 in sales tax. Had you purchased it in Maryland, you wouls have paid $1200. To register it in MD, you would have to make up the difference of $400 plus standard registration fees.

Looking at the California Motor Vehicle Registration fee calculator, it's similar.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculator...esidentForm.do

DanG

Last edited by DanG05200; 10-15-2013 at 10:49 PM..

Old 10-19-2013, 12:16 AM

I did find something online after searching. It looks like you do pay an annual fee to the government, which includes a rego fee, district fee and VLF (vehicle license fee), the latter of which is 0.65% of the sales price of the vehicle, and acts as a type of property tax.

Doesn't seem overly onerous, I guess because it doesn't include compulsory third party insurance, as in other countries. Car insurance would be a much bigger annual expense, and something I still need to investigate. Overall though I think I am going to try to avoid becoming a two car family as long as possible and try to do more cycling to keep costs down (with the added bonus of fitness).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego