Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 07:42 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,350,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohPhiPhi View Post
Thanks guys for all the insight, I appreciate it. In fact, I've started my search already...

One more question: is it worth going for those apartment complexes like Strata, Vantage, Icon, etc, or is it perhaps better so go through Craigslist?
In my experience there are a lot of benefits to a professionally managed complex when you are a newcomer and then perhaps finding a privately owned unit when more established. This has been my experience anyway.

The managed complexes offer benefits -- for one they are used to people relocating, and can usually handle transactions, lease signings and that type of thing online. They usually offer MUCH smaller security deposits which is helpful for a move (like 2-300 dollars vs. the full amount of one months rent). Also, if you have problems with neighbors or other things you have a mediator, maintenance on site usually and often other amenities -- while I've found that apartment amenities (pools, business center and gym) usually are about half as nice long term than what they seem at first. Expect the pools to be overrun with children or visitors who dont live there, gym items to be broken or too small and the business center broken as well (its good to keep expectations low so if these things do turn out to be nice great -- but don't make a decision with them as a big factor). Usually what will make or break your happines is the view, apartment itself and neighbors. Try to find something on a top floor with a good view (not of your neighbors balcony, awkward) and this will help with noise as well (or a corner unit).

Often these types of places might also make some guarantee of 30 days ...not all but some, so if you hate it when you get there you can leave.

As for private rentals it really depends. Sometimes you luck out sometimes you get the worst landlord on earth and by default I expect maintenance to be subpar to that of a professinally managed complex. I've been in mine for almost a year and still no one has explained to me how waste removal actually works (my landlord is off site and I share a house divided into apartments with a family). I also have had a wiring issue Ive felt like its pointless to call them and try fix since I'm leaving. I mean you just have to take more things into your own hands to figure out and maybe even maintain (I'm expected to maintain my garden and will be charged for it when I move out if its over run by weeds) and as mentioned security deposits are almost always higher for private rentals (usually one months rent or more)

I've found them too hard to find when dealing with the stress of moving. Usually I choose a good profesionally managed complex -- then when I'm familiar with the area find a good private rental when I I have time and patience to do the research.

I think its a bit of a gamble to do the private rental when you are coming from out of town and when you don't know the area. For the most part the professionally managed complexes have to abide by certain rules and while it may not be the best deal overall it should be a fairly fool proof and easier experience for something decent. Sometimes you can even do a 3 or 6 month rental if not comforable with a year (in your sitaution I would probably do that if my budget was that high)

Moving is hard ....stressful. But $2500 is a good budget for what you want (if you take out the furniture factor) and should give you a lot of choices, if you have no problem also paying a $2500 security deposit then you might be able to score a very nice loft type place in one of the urban core areas from a private owner (if that is preferred) just be aware you will be dealing more with a landlord in that case vs. a professional company -- and sometimes I think its a little more predictable and nice to deal with a corporation even though its well, corporate. Private owners can be a little bit ridiculous because they can have a more emotional attachment to their space and their reactions can be a bit emotional to routine wear and tear damages that should be expected when renting out their places. Expect to lose that giant security deposit and be nickel and dimed. I'd rather lose 2-300 than have an unreasonable private landlord (And be aware, often these private landlords really need the money and may not be up on their bills)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 01:42 AM

here is in your range and one of the nicer ones I've seen furnished...2400 5th Ave, San Diego, CA 92101

kind of want it for myself

Old 10-29-2013, 09:19 AM

7 posts, read 9,265 times
That's a nice one rgb123, not a bad apartment at all I was wondering if these professionally managed complexes would allow short-term leases, like in 3-month periods or something?

Old 10-29-2013, 12:31 PM

usually the more corporate ones do, yes but they will charge you more for it, sometimes a lot.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:46 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,748,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohPhiPhi View Post
That's a nice one rgb123, not a bad apartment at all I was wondering if these professionally managed complexes would allow short-term leases, like in 3-month periods or something?
FYI, that complex is just north of downtown, if it matters. Also, the ad says there it's a minimum 1 year lease.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
FYI, that complex is just north of downtown, if it matters. Also, the ad says there it's a minimum 1 year lease.
Yeah I noticed. I'm looking for something as close to Little Italy as possible

Can anyone recommend a professionally-managed complex in that area that allows short-term leases, and that's not full with party college students?

Old 10-31-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
right, and I wasn't suggesting this as a short term lease, nor a professionally manage complex, but a general (and pretty good option) for what is available in that price range for a furnished apartment. Obviously specifics will vary and require good old fashioned research.

As for specific complexes in Little Italy I've seen a few but don't recall the names right now, share with us what you find as I'll be interested too! When are you moving?

Old 10-31-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
When are you moving?
Most likely January

Old 11-01-2013, 12:08 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,977,225 times
Okay, time for a reality check.

ANY apartment complex, especially one downtown, is going to have some background noise and people walking around in the wee hours of the night making noise. Period. Hello? You live downtown, did you think you were going to get the quiet of the burbs with all the amenities downtown has to offer?

Second, the corporate apartments have their upside and downside. You don't have to call a landlord and get him to send out a plumber if something goes wrong. You have an office to go to if there is a problem.

However, many of the condos that people rent out also have management offices. I wouldn't worry too much about renting at a place like that.

Third, that "college kids partying and drunk fools" nonsense needs to stop. Rents for a one bedroom apartment in even the less expensive units in the East Village are around $1,500. You tell me how many college kids can afford that.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
ANY apartment complex, especially one downtown, is going to have some background noise and people walking around in the wee hours of the night making noise. Period. Hello?
I realize that, no need to state the obvious... what I meant by "street noise" is bars, railways, airport corridor or highways nearby, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
that "college kids partying and drunk fools" nonsense needs to stop. Rents for a one bedroom apartment in even the less expensive units in the East Village are around $1,500. You tell me how many college kids can afford that.
Read the reviews on Yelp or many other forums. There are dozens of threads from people renting at complexes like Vantage Pointe and the such complaining that college kids are partying every second night, running around the building corridors, loud music till the wee hour, etc. Literally dozens of people complaining about the same thing, so there's got to be something about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego