Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 07:25 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to write and say how excited my wife and I are to be moving to San Diego. We are driving across country and will be out there next week. Can't wait to escape the DC winter for the mild weather of San Diego.

A little background about us: We are in our twenties and have family in the San Diego area that are going to let us stay with them until we get on our feet. Found out recently I'll be working remotely so my job will be coming with me. Compensation is close to 70k until the wife finds work. Savings are 80k not including 401k.

I know a lot of people probably wouldn't condone or recommend such a move, but we are young and and feel that this a good time in our lives to make such a move. We feel we are in a good place financially and with a good support network that our risk exposure isn't too high. Regardless, after living in the DC area for 27 years I'm so excited to finally leave and live in such a beautiful city. This move has been close to two years in the making so for everything to finally come together its very exciting.

See you guys next week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 07:53 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times
Congratulations. While I don't regret my time in DC and we have some very fond moments of living in the NCR, coming back to San Diego was a godsend. The weather is a little iffy right now, but pleasant enough. I think this is a golden opportunity to make the move. Having family in the area always helps. I think 70k is a fine salary. There will be those that disagree and have bloated lists of expenditures. There are people living here on much less. I think you will be busy with job and home searches, but I would recommend making it a priority to go out and make friends and build relationships in the area.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
Congratulations. While I don't regret my time in DC and we have some very fond moments of living in the NCR, coming back to San Diego was a godsend. The weather is a little iffy right now, but pleasant enough. I think this is a golden opportunity to make the move. Having family in the area always helps. I think 70k is a fine salary. There will be those that disagree and have bloated lists of expenditures. There are people living here on much less. I think you will be busy with job and home searches, but I would recommend making it a priority to go out and make friends and build relationships in the area.
Definitely! I will miss a lot of things about the DC area and there is a lot of stuff I won't miss as well. All my friends and extended family are here so while I plan for them to visit, its a priority for us to meet new people and make new friends in SD

Old 11-27-2013, 09:00 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Life is to short to worry about what others think. Live your dreams. Depending upon your location if you have any commute freeway traffic will be a key factor in decision making after you look around.

Are you traveling the southern I 40 route? Anywhere you travel you will have to be careful for icy roads. Carry warmth, water and snacks.

Safe travels.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Life is to short to worry about what others think. Live your dreams. Depending upon your location if you have any commute freeway traffic will be a key factor in decision making after you look around.

Are you traveling the southern I 40 route? Anywhere you travel you will have to be careful for icy roads. Carry warmth, water and snacks.

Safe travels.
I'm not sure which route we are taking. Once we hit Little Rock, I'm considering going I-40 through Amarillo, ABQ, and Flagstaff if the weather looks fine

Otherwise I'll cut south west through texas and go through Las Cruces and Tucson towards SD. I'm assuming ice wouldn't be an issue here?

Old 11-27-2013, 09:16 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
I'm not sure which route we are taking. Once we hit Little Rock, I'm considering going I-40 through Amarillo, ABQ, and Flagstaff if the weather looks fine

Otherwise I'll cut south west through texas and go through Las Cruces and Tucson towards SD. I'm assuming ice wouldn't be an issue here?
I've gone I-40 between SD and Nashville 3 times. I stay on 40 because I refuse to be in one state (Texas) for so long haha

Old 11-27-2013, 09:20 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post

It can be. Keep an eye on the weather predictions.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:20 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Congrats on pulling it all together...today in the 60s and maybe some rain on the way, but they say San Diego will have the best weather in the whole Country the next few days! Safe driving....a whole new chapter awaits!

Old 11-27-2013, 12:27 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
New Mexico has had severe weather the past couple weeks. That said you will be better off that way than i 80 which given the recent unusual tornado activity may be an issue. Wait til traffic has travelled the road in the AM say depart 8am and you should be fine. In shady places on I 40 or I 8 black ice is probable in temps <40.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:44 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Glad its finally coming to fruition for you GMU.

Hopefully some of the storms will have passed by the time you start heading out. If not, make sure to plan out some route options beforehand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego