Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:19 AM

26 posts, read 105,011 times

Advertisements

"Isn't that special !" But slow employment, has brought me to this pass.

I have access to a driveway in East County.. actually two driveways.
I know of an area that has many RV's in a residential area.. meaning homes, not apartments.

I cannot reach neighborhood code compliance folks to get an idea of the feasibility of this. I want to live in a trailer or RV.
Does anyone have experience with this in East County. Obviously in the city limits of SD, this is verboten.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 10:49 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,272,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbe nimble View Post
"Isn't that special !" But slow employment, has brought me to this pass.

I have access to a driveway in East County.. actually two driveways.
I know of an area that has many RV's in a residential area.. meaning homes, not apartments.

I cannot reach neighborhood code compliance folks to get an idea of the feasibility of this. I want to live in a trailer or RV.
Does anyone have experience with this in East County. Obviously in the city limits of SD, this is verboten.
Thank you
East County is made up of many cities, all of which have their own codes and laws. Please be more specific as to where in East County. Is it unincorporated?

Old 03-16-2011, 10:55 AM

May I be a little vague?... I will offer a few places
Lakeside
El Cajon
Santee
Lake Jennings
Can you comment on each place please?

I have friends who have offered their driveways but I don't want them to be endangered with a high fine. A low fine is ok. But City of San Diego I believe is $1000 dollars a day fine.
I need to weigh the risks involved because I am responsible for all fines involved, whether to myself, the property owner or both.
Thank you kindly

Old 03-16-2011, 11:13 AM

I cant comment on each area specifically, but El Cajon has 'City of El Cajon' as well as unincorporated areas. Its big.
Lakeside is unincorporated. Santee is its own city you will need to go to their website Have fun reading through the codes Santee Municipal Code (Santee, California).

Lake Jennings is unincorporated.
Here is a map to illustrate:http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/dplu/ce5/cty.jpg

Here are the county's unincorpated laws regarding your situation.
County of San Diego: Code Enforcement

Old 03-16-2011, 01:09 PM

Off the top of your head
Sleeping in an rv in a driveway with electric
What is your opinion on the likelihood of the law permitting this, or of them looking the other way?
I was told by a real estate person, if the neighbors don;t mind.. it is cool to do!!

I know of a mother and daughter who did this from out of state , moved to east county and lived 24 7 for 7 months until recently.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:33 PM

Pretty sure if neighbors dont mind it you are fine.

Just dont be surprised if your friends get a code violation notice and a fine. I am certain that there is some code for that. Something to keep in the back of your mind.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:02 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
If the neighbors don't care, no one will care. The more upscale the neighborhood, the greater chance of them caring. If you're talking about a driveway on small acreage in an unincorporated area, doubt any neighbor will notice. Santee, someone will definitely notice, it's suburbia.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:49 PM

Drat thx

Old 03-18-2011, 03:48 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Well, it's like how they have to deal with it at the beach. No overnight sleeping. They knock on your RV, you wake and open the door. Well, now technically you are not sleeping so they leave.

They have to prove you are sleeping in it, fat chance.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,620 times
"Living full time" in a fully self contained travel trailer on your own property?
At least on El Cajon's online sites, I can not find anything regarding any regulations/codes/laws, regarding this issue.

Does anyone actually know if it is illegal to live in your travel trailer, in your own driveway on your own property? There are full hookups to make the trailer fully self contained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego