Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 04:25 AM

2 posts, read 1,986 times

Advertisements

Hi There. We are thinking about moving over to SD for a couple of years and were looking at the implications for our kids.
In Australia the school year starts January and ends in December. In Australia kids can start primary (elementary) school at 4.5years provided that they turn 5years old by 31july in the year they start.
Our son started school at 4years 10months (March born). He is doing great and getting above average results. Currently in year 1.
Our daughter started school at 4years 6months (July born). She is doing great and getting good results Currently in year kindergarten.
From my research I think that kids can only start elementary school if they are 5years old before they start school or by 1 October. I have deep concern that given the above the kids would have to repeat a grade albeit it would only be 6months I would like to know if there are any other options, experiences, suggestions we could take to potential school enrolments.
Our kids love school, they are constantly seeking challenging work and we feel they will get bored if they are held back due to age guidelines.
In addition when we return to Australia they will return to school with their original school mates and if they repeated in SD upon return in Australia they will need to "catch up" on the missed 6months.
Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 11:08 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,342,730 times
Don't count on grade skipping. Your kids will be evaluated by the school that they're going to attend, and they will decide which grade they go into.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:17 PM

4,542 posts, read 12,410,358 times
On the other hand, Moved has opened up a window of opportunity. It appears that their placement will not be decided solely by age. You have the opportunity to seek an evaluation and get them moved up a half year. Which given your description of their success in Australia, seems entirely appropriate.

And if you do have that opportunity, seize it. There's an awful lot of repetitive busy work that goes on in elementary school. Kids waste hours everyday that if they were given the opportunity to rationalize their school day would allow them to shorten the schooling process by years.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:28 PM

It all depends on the principal of the school who will be probably be doing the evaluating, and there are no guarantees.

Last edited by moved; 05-25-2014 at 08:41 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,986 times
Many thanks for your response Moved and for your optimism Kettlepot. I totally appreciate that nothing is ever guaranteed until the ref (or Principal) makes the call, but repeating is a waste in this instance so I want to avoid if possible

We are looking to move to one of these areas below... can anyone suggest a school/ Principal that they think will be open to at least have a genuine discussion? Also any ideas on what I should do from my side to prepare .. get letters/ reports from kids current teachers. Is there a SD telephone number i can call to ask general questions about enrollments? I will need to start this process sooner rather than later if we make the decision to move to your wonderful state.

Encinitas
Solana Beach
Cardiff
Del Mar Heights
Carmel Valley
Mount Carmel
Poway (around Rancho Penasquitos)

Thanks

Old 05-25-2014, 10:23 PM

I can't recommend a school, because I didn't work in those school districts. Letters from teachers aren't needed. You'll need copies of report cards, proof of vaccinations, proof of residence, etc. There's no general enrollments office, each individual school does their own registration.

School will be out in June, office staff doesn't return until around the third week of August, and that's when registration starts. In order to speak to a principal, you'll have to make an appointment, but since you don't live here and don't have an address yet, that means that you don't have a school of residence. So it's really not possible until you move. When you go to the school to enroll your kids, the registration clerk will give you the enrollment packets, and inside of them is a list of all the documents that you need. Also, they're not give out in advance, only in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego