Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 10:00 PM

720 posts, read 806,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
its really not appropriate to address it here -- that was written after she had incessantly attacked me, it was really quite odd. at one point I was like, geez is she going to figure out where I live and attack?

It was just strange and she would write very long posts full of insults at me and others, it was hard to take it seriously, in fact I didn't, and that is what I wrote.

I believe she was either banned or hopefully found something better to do. It was very unusual, unforunatley not all posts were removed including some of mine, I quit responding to her and was just reporting her attacks on me and others. most were removed.
I'm sorry for that then, and I removed comments so as to not make it worse for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 10:55 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,663 times
Honestly I understand where people are coming from when they say San Diego is overrated. I was born and raised here. Ive never lived anywhere else so I can't compare it to other cities. I like certain parts of SD. I love the beach communities like Mission Beach, Ocean Beach, La Jolla Shores, and Encinitas. I like North Park, Rolando, Downtown, and La Mesa (where I live).

A lot of San Diego is plain and boring. Coronado is nothing special. Rancho Bernardo and Carmel Valley are boring "suburban" neighborhoods that are still considered part of the city. Once you get past La Mesa and El Cajon, everything you see is really bland and conservative. Not to mention how hot these parts of the county get in the summer. I see trucks with confederate flags hanging off them and country music blaring in East County. You would think we live in the deep south or something, not California! I was raised in East County and I'm not a fan of it especially Lakeside. I love certain parts of San Diego, but I totally understand where people come off with the "overrated" complaint. It really does feel like a small town even though there are over a million people in the city and over 3 million in the county.

I will always tell people I am from San Diego no matter where I live, but people should take the rose colored glasses off and realize that it isn't perfect. I guess I'm just bored of it and want to try something else.

I have no problem defending San Diego against people who say things like "there are no intelligent people or diversity" because there clearly are both of those things, but I will not defend the complaints about it being overrated.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:47 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
^ what is your age range, aboveordinary?

Old 05-03-2014, 12:52 PM

^23 years old.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:05 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
^ Do you think you views on your hometown, and SD area will change over time?

Old 05-03-2014, 10:19 PM

^Probably. I think I just want to get away for a bit and then I might start getting homesick and come right back.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:02 AM

29 posts, read 66,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
^Probably. I think I just want to get away for a bit and then I might start getting homesick and come right back.
Yeah, I can totally understand that feeling of needing to get away, and that your place of birth isn't all that it's cracked up to be. As a matter of fact, some people love the area where I live in New Jersey. Close to New York, close to Philadelphia, close to the beach. Great restaurants, museums, nightlife, etc. Short flight to the Caribbean and Florida, and close to the mountains for skiing. Well, I've lived here for forty years, and I am soooo ready for a change, I can't WAIT to move to San Diego. Sure, I love great restaurants in NYC, and Broadway plays can be a fun way to spend an evening. But I have a kid now, and how often am I going to visit Manhattan for dinner and a show? Pretty much never. It barely ever happened before my son was born. I'm a big Yankees fan, but going to Yankee Stadium for a game costs about $500 if you're sitting anywhere close to the field. I don't ski, neither does my wife, and we can both do without winter entirely.

All I really want out of life is to spend time with my wife and son, enjoying life together. Exploring parks and different places, picnicking somewhere scenic, having dinner together outside, etc. Being stuck indoors for half the year makes that very difficult. To be honest, the climate in the northeast, and perhaps much of the country, prohibits much of what I'm looking for in life. I want my son to grow up enjoying warm sunny days, playing outdoor sports, and just being able to do whatever he wants, in the comfort of nice weather. California offers that, and North County San Diego seems to do it about as well as any place on the planet.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:57 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
There are people from my hometown who have rarely vacationed or seen other places, or had any desire to. That is ok for them, but for anyone who has curiosity and a desire to see other places, I say you need to start going for it now!

I grew up and lived in the same house until I started college. Then I have moved around the country to various spots. I was definitely curious and still am, its in my blood

Now is the time to start travelling (even if its just a road trip on a weekend to another city, that you can do cheaply).

I believe it is true it is very hard to appreciate your hometown if you have nothing to compare it to. I moved back to Illinois something like 3 times before I was truly comfortable leaving for an extended period. We all have attachments to our hometowns (ok, most of us) but that will become more clear once you start getting out and experiencing other places -- and you will notice benefits and drawbacks to other places

for some it doesn't matter -- its wherever their family is - but you can still see advantages and disadvantages if you remain objective when travelling or moving to another place, even if you decide to move back later.

You will certainly find more people from the midwest in SD than you will find people from SD in the midwest

you won't really know why though until you get there lol.

I am probably one of a minority that still values the beauty and advantages of the midwest without having a huge desire to move back there. I think am able to be more objective about what draws me here or there since I'm single and have detached from family and friends already, for many people this will be the hardest part. It's not that I don't miss them its that after many moves I know how to handle the feelings that come and go in terms of being far from home.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:29 PM

745 posts, read 1,568,503 times
If I did not have children and grandchildren here and I was not married to someone who hates the cold with a passion, I could see myself moving back to Ohio, the home of my girlhood. I would get a big old house and enjoy the greenery and the fall leaves. Not so sure I wouldn't hate the winters though. But I have very fond memories of Ohio.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:46 PM

121 posts, read 336,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I moved back to Illinois something like 3 times before I was truly comfortable leaving for an extended period. We all have attachments to our hometowns (ok, most of us) but that will become more clear once you start getting out and experiencing other places -- and you will notice benefits and drawbacks to other places
How does San Diego, as a whole, compare to where you're from in Illinois? How did cost of living differences impact your lifestyle (smaller apartment, less savings, etc.) throughout your lifetime? From your experiences, are cost of living calculators accurate for the different cost categories and required salary estimates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego