Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 04:45 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Jake's and Poseiden in Del Mar
Chart House and Pacific Coast Grill in Encinitas
Great IPA beer at Culture Brewing or Pizza Port in Solana Beach
Thank you, Encinitan for your suggestions. I'll check them out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 07:15 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Most of places on water mentioned are mediocre and overpriced but great views (casual to semi-formal)
Taco Bull (very very casual) has a great location, food can be very good, unique or hit-n-miss.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:02 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Most of places on water mentioned are mediocre and overpriced but great views (casual to semi-formal)
Taco Bull (very very casual) has a great location, food can be very good, unique or hit-n-miss.
It's Bull taco. Like the motorcycle. And the duck confit tacos are amazing.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
It's Bull taco. Like the motorcycle. And the duck confit tacos are amazing.
Excucez moi (ala Steve Martin). Yes, their unusual tacos are good like ostrich, duck etc. I heard they may be pulling back from those items?

Old 04-08-2014, 11:40 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Quote:
Excucez moi (ala Steve Martin). Yes, their unusual tacos are good like ostrich, duck etc. I heard they may be pulling back from those items?
Not sure, haven't been there in maybe a year. I'll have to hit them up next week when I'm up there visiting my brother and report back

Old 04-09-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I had no idea that dog beach near the Military base beach on Coronado was called North Beach and I have been there many a times... I just called it "the dog beach in Coronado".
Yes, that's normally the way it goes in my experience, too. I've asked directions of people who've said they've lived here for 30-yrs & they don't know the name of the street behind where we're standing. No need, I suppose, if one knows where everything is located.

I've done the same. When I was a walker & reliant upon public transit, I was less concerned with street names, etc., as I could walk anywhere without worrying about one-way streets, dead ends, parking, traffic lights/signs, etc., but I was more aware of bldgs & landmarks or stores seen from the bus/train window. When I began driving, I was more aware of street names, but if someone asked about a store on a particular street, my reply was always the same, 'I don't know. I'm drivin' over here.' No time to window shop whilst on the road & watching out for jaywalkers, bikes, kids, dogs off leashes, older folks, baby carriages, etc.

Quote:
For beaches north of PB including La Jolla all the way to Oceanside, I've heard people refer to those as North Coastal Communities although sometimes Oceanside is excluded as its not as affluent as all the rest.
Thanks, Mal.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Maybe a better source for restaurant reviews would be blogs by San Diego foodies. The San Diego Reader does some of that. If you search for ' "San Diego" food blogs ' there seem to be several more.
Good tip, thank you.

Quote:
Marine Room is the sort of restaurant where you wouldn't feel at all out-of-place if you were dressed up. But I also see many people in there dressed "nice casual" (casual clothes, but they look like they took time to look dressed for an event rather than dressed for a run on the beach, if you know what I mean).

Old 04-09-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Okay, thanks, Bloom. That's too bad. I'd prefer great food, then to go to the ocean for the view. This is the case in far too many places, it seems.

Quote:
Doesn't sound like a thumb's up if it's hit-or-miss, but I don't think anyone will be into that casual an environ or tacos (their menu is mainly fish, from what I've seen). Looks like the Encinitas one is closed down... I live 1-mi away & haven't seen it passing by or on Google street view.

It's too bad that so few places have consistent food & reviews. I've spent more $ on lousy food in downtown San Diego & Denver than anywhere else I've lived. It just makes me normally eat at home.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Oh! Meant to mention that Chowhound san diego has a good message board, and searchable, where people discuss their dining experiences/opinions. I find that to be quite helpful sometimes.
Very good, thanks.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Okay, thanks, Bloom. That's too bad. I'd prefer great food, then to go to the ocean for the view. This is the case in far too many places, it seems.

Doesn't sound like a thumb's up if it's hit-or-miss, but I don't think anyone will be into that casual an environ or tacos (their menu is mainly fish, from what I've seen). Looks like the Encinitas one is closed down... I live 1-mi away & haven't seen it passing by or on Google street view.

It's too bad that so few places have consistent food & reviews. I've spent more $ on lousy food in downtown San Diego & Denver than anywhere else I've lived. It just makes me normally eat at home.

Unfortunately, good food and view are mutually exclusive and while agree good food trumps view personally, sometimes, for business meals, view trumps food. I would try Marine Room.

Reg. Bullsh*t Taco, when it's good, it's good. I may have heard they were updating the one in Cardiff, but not sure?

Reg. Denver, a great sushi place is Sushi Sasa. Actually, best I had ever (though only one visit). Also good was a fusion place with zen in its name I believe, but not sure?

Reg. SD downtown, agree. Bice seemed good. Otherwise stick with lower brow - Burger Lounge and Berkley (deep dissh) Pizza which are very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego